HDMI to SDI converter

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Aparna Shome

HDMI to SDI converter

PostMon Jun 17, 2013 6:39 am

Hi,

At our studio we connect SD SDI output of 3 cameras(Genlocked by Blackburst of the video switcher) to SONY DFS 800 switcher. We want to connect the Laptop/Ipad display directly to Sony DFS-800 switcher using Blackmagic HDMI to SDI coverter so that we can do the online switching between camera outputs and the laptop/ipad output.

Before buying the converter I would like to know whether the switching among the cameras and the converter output will be smooth(without any visual jerk) or not, as the converter has no provision of Genlocking.

With thanks

Aparna
Last edited by Aparna Shome on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hakan Taube Lyxzen

Re: HDMI to SDI converter

PostMon Jun 17, 2013 7:18 am

Hi.

If I remember correctly the dfs-800 has framesyncronizers in it.
You can test this by removing the genlock to your cameras and switch between them. The best are to hold a wipe at 50 % because a cut can look alright on a non framesyncronized switcher but a wipe will not.

So my answer about non synced input are yes they should work however you must feed the converter a video signal from your laptop, normally only 1080i, 720p, 576i or 480i.

Hakan
Hakan Taube Lyxzen
prostreaming.se

marc.colemont

Re: HDMI to SDI converter

PostThu Jun 20, 2013 10:28 pm

I use up/down convertors which have a genlock input. They act as frame synchronizers. It's not marketed as such, but it works fine.

Return to Live Production