How does Blackmagic television studio re-sync work?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

sebastianliduke

How does Blackmagic television studio re-sync work?

PostThu May 16, 2019 12:09 pm

Hi , I am a newbie in television studio switcher (just ordered one) , my question is to understand how re-sync of camera signals in bmd television studio work ? and if i use consumer cameras with Hdmi , which have different latency in HDMI output , will the switcher be able to re-sync video signals correctly using this feature.

Thank you

Ian Morrish

Re: How does Blackmagic television studio re-sync work?

PostThu May 16, 2019 5:50 pm

Yes, there is atomatic frame sync on all inputs.
All sourc inputs must however be the same resolution and frame rate unless you have the TVS 4k Pro.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

Fred Rodrigues

PostFri May 17, 2019 12:58 pm

This is not what the frame sync means. The framesync will allow you to switch between cameras that are not genlocked, all it does is buffer the frames so that the first pixel timing on each input is time aligned with the first pixel timing on the internal clock. It does not have the ability to delay feeds to compensate for latency. Depending on how far off the frames come in (this is pixel wise only) the unit can induce a whole frame more latency on input to time align the incoming signal with the internal clock. This can make the discrepancy between cameras worse, but without genlock this is a bit random.
http://www.fredrodrigues.net/

sebastianliduke

PostSat May 18, 2019 5:10 pm

Thank you all for your input , really helpful , i received the switcher today, i guess i will have to test with my cameras to see how accurate the compansation is , and if it is usable for my case. Of course currently i dont have cameras with genlock feature as they are a bit more expensive , thats why i asked.

Return to Live Production