ATEM LTC Embed

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Tom_Bassford

ATEM LTC Embed

PostTue May 21, 2019 4:31 pm

Hi
Has anyone managed to get LTC timecode to correctly embed on the ATEM when running at 3g frame rates?

My experience is that LTC fed into the ATEM correctly embeds on all outputs at 1080 50i however at 1080 50p the outputs have no timecode embedded into them.

Is this behaviour what others see too?

TIA
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

Xtreemtec

Re: ATEM LTC Embed

PostTue May 21, 2019 7:40 pm

Tom you are talking about the 2ME / 4ME frames i guess? I can't remember that i had trouble with this. But i can run some tests..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

pederdingo

PostWed May 22, 2019 2:56 am

I've had some trouble with it on the 4ME, but only on level B.
BM told me there is nothing wrong with the timecode, but it behaves differently in 3G - only every other frame has timecode, the other half has 0. So TC 0 TC 0 TC 0.
Maybe that is causing your equipment to see it wrong?

When I see it on a Teranex it will flicker on the display, but it can still convert and output it.

Tom_Bassford

PostWed May 22, 2019 6:36 am

Hmmm

Setup is Atem feeding a hyperdeck so I suppose it could be the hyperdeck failing to read the atem timecode.

Seems like I have made the classic mistake of expecting blackmagic equipment to actually work and be compatible with other blackmagic equipment!

pederdingo

PostWed May 22, 2019 9:08 am

I don't have that problem with my Hyperdecks (12G version)

Tom_Bassford

PostWed May 22, 2019 9:10 am

Please let me know framerate and sdi level on your working setup?

pederdingo

PostWed May 22, 2019 9:36 am

I use 50p level B from 4ME -> 12G Smart Videohub -> Hyperdeck 12G.
That preserves timecode from ATEM just fine (I use the internal ATEM tc)

Daniel Binder

PostTue Jun 25, 2019 12:28 pm

We are having trouble with this too when operating in 1080p50 (3GSDI).
Two Hyperdeck 12G running newest firmware are losing the timecode every once in a while. (We've been recording 10 minute clips on and off for the last three days, about 20 clips per day. Sometimes it picks up the timecode when we start the recording, sometimes not. Switching inputs or unplugging the SDI source SOMETIMES fixes it, but not always. It's pretty random).

Our Hyperdeck Mini (and two other non-Blackmagic-Recorders have no problem).

Setup is: ATEM 4M/E (LTC fed in from a Zoom F8n) -- PGM Out from ATEM into Videohub 40x40 -- Hyperdeck 12G.

I can confirm that it worked more reliably in 1080i50.

Cheers,

Daniel

Daniel Binder

PostTue Jul 09, 2019 8:53 am

Hi everyone,

Has anyone found a solution?

Additional info:
We're running the ATEM output as 3G-SDI Level B. Since the Hyperdeck 12G and Multiview 4 don't accept Level A, we don't really have a choice.

CORRECTION: Firmware upgrade to latest brought support of 3G-Level A to the Hyperdeck 12G and Multiview 4. The 3G-Level support overview list here in the forum is apparently not up to date :)

STATUS UPDATE: With Hyperdecks 12G running latest firmware we could not reproduce the issue of dropping timecode on Level A or Level B any longer. Maybe the firmware update fixed it. We will keep an eye on the issue and post here if anything changes.

Cheers,
Daniel

Dave Del Vecchio

PostWed Jul 10, 2019 12:41 am

Daniel Binder wrote:CORRECTION: Firmware upgrade to latest brought support of 3G-Level A to the Hyperdeck 12G and Multiview 4. The 3G-Level support overview list here in the forum is apparently not up to date :)
Which firmware versions did you install on the HyperDeck 12G and MultiView 4 that added 3G SDI Level A support? I will update the 3G SDI Level support list with this info.

These 3G SDI level improvements do not seem to be mentioned in the release notes for the firmware updates for either of those products, which is probably why they were missed (even the product pages for the HyperDeck 12G and MultiView 4 only mention SMPTE 425M Level B support). It would really be nice if the release notes mentioned stuff like this, otherwise the only way to find out what changed is when people actually try out the new firmware.

Return to Live Production