Talkback workflow without fiber

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

carstenwolfram

Talkback workflow without fiber

PostMon Jun 24, 2019 9:29 am

Hello there,

I've got a question about talkback since I can't find any information how it really works.

Lets say I'm about to buy an ATEM Constellation and want to connect my cameras to it. I want the camera feed to be an input and want a specific multiview from the ATEM sent back to the camera displays (since the Constellation has four of them I won't need any other multiview device)
Do I HAVE to use Fiber or can I just run two SDI cables from and to the cameras? The distances are not very long, maybe 30meters maximum and I thought I could save the money for an ATEM talkback converter 4k.

Would that work?

David_Anderson

Re: Talkback workflow without fiber

PostMon Jun 24, 2019 8:55 pm

It is my understanding that the talkback converter is designed to have the program feed put into it and will display the program feed output along with talkback and tally. Someone from BMD would have to tell you if you could feed it a multiview signal and then my guess is you would lose all other functionality (talkback and tally).

Best,

David Anderson
David Anderson
Leading Edge Multimedia
https://leadingedgemultimedia.com
(888) 336-LEMM

Xtreemtec

Re: Talkback workflow without fiber

PostTue Jun 25, 2019 11:51 am

Carsten YES, you can direct SDI runs on the constellation. The talkback converter was developed way before BMD started to put the talkback function into the Atems. ;)

Just connect 2 sdi lines and you are good to go. The only thing that MIGHT be an issue.. There might be that there is no intercom audio on the MV outputs.. I don't own a constellation yet so i can not verify that. ;)

But this can be solved easily by running the MV output into 1 of the 40 input channels.. And route it to 1 of the Aux outputs Which do have the intercom audio on it for sure!! ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production