ATEM Television Studio HD vs Production Studio 4k

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Rob Linger

ATEM Television Studio HD vs Production Studio 4k

PostMon Jun 24, 2019 7:47 pm

We are looking at replacing our original TV Studio, and have narrowed the choice down to one of two options within our budget, the ATEM Television Studio HD vs the ATEM Production Studio 4k. Other than the obvious difference in HD vs. 4k, and the cost, what is the difference between the TV Studio line and the Production Studio line?

Whichever way we go, it will be used for capturing/recording a multi-camera church service. Currently we record, then post it to our church YouTube channel. We will eventually move into live streaming, but may be a year or so off on that move.

I am a novice at this stuff, but I am the person at church that they rely upon to figure this stuff out.

Thanks!
Rob

David_Anderson

Re: ATEM Television Studio HD vs Production Studio 4k

PostMon Jun 24, 2019 8:42 pm

The Television Studio has a DVE and can do Picture in a picture. SDI Program Out only - no HDMI.

Production Studio 4k - HDMI Program out, 1 aux bus out.

So if you don't need 4k and do need or think PIP would be good, then the TVS will be a better solution.

Of course there are other differences but for your environment I'd say these are the highlights. If you need more info feel free to leave your number here and I'll give you a call. I have lots of experience with event production and streaming to youtube as well.

Best,

David
David Anderson
Leading Edge Multimedia
https://leadingedgemultimedia.com
(888) 336-LEMM

CoreyVideoGuy407

PostTue Jun 25, 2019 3:15 pm

At my work we use a lot of the ATEM TV Studio HD units as we are working with a small desk and it is nice to have physical buttons.

shaunbrickell

PostSun Jun 30, 2019 3:00 pm

Hi Rob,

There are many considerations and while these two devices are very similar there can be a few things that could sway your decision.

Firstly, do you have a dedicated vision mixer or do you rely on volunteers like many houses of worship? If the later then the ATEM HD might be your best choice. Main reason for this is that the unit can run as a switcher without a PC connected so you can switch cameras and other inputs like Pro Presenter without a volunteer having access to all the features of the software control panel.

Another consideration is where the unit will be installed in relation to the cameras, pc inputs and vision mix position. The cost of 8 quality SDI cables is easily close to the cost of the ATEM. At a recent install I did the vision control room was about 30m (100ft) away from the main auditorium. The cost of Adding another 1000ft of cable and 2 dozen 4K SDI Connectors was the decider to go with the Production Studio installed on a rack on the stage and then simply run a CAT6 to the video control room for the software control panel and a couple of SDI’s for Aux and Prog which feed the concourse screens and web live stream

What I’m really trying to say is that each install has its own set of requirements. If you send me a little more info I will gladly offer any advice I can.

Regards
Shaun
Constellation 8k, 2M/E Adv Panel, URSA Broadcast, ATEM 4k PRO, ATEM TVS HD, Atem Mini, Pro & ISO, Hyperdeck Studio, UltraStudio 4k

Rob Linger

PostWed Jul 17, 2019 6:20 pm

Thanks for your replies!

I am leaning towards the ATEM Television Studio HD at this point. We just purchased a bulk roll of 3G/6G Belkin 1695 wire, to feed our projection system, and we should have a little left over to make any additional cables that we would need.

I do have a question though, with our current original ATEM TV Studio, we can capture/record the program via USB to our dedicated PC, which we will be keeping and using for producing the video, but does the new TV Studio HD still have this ability, or will we need to purchase an additional recording deck? And then the next question is, if we need to purchase something to record, should it be a HyperDeck Studio Mini, or the H.264 Pro Recorder?

I am planning on mounting the new ATEM in the same rack in our A/V booth where we currently have our original ATEM TVS. I realize that the TVS-HD is smaller than the original, and will need a new shelf for the rack, but that isn't an issue.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

CoreyVideoGuy407

PostMon Aug 26, 2019 1:59 pm

Hi Rob,

You would need to buy an Ultra Studio if you want to use the new TV Studio HD switcher. We have a lot of original ATEM TV Studios at our schools and we are noticing that either the power supply or the USB port starts to fail. On top of that the old ATEM will only go up to V-7.5 on certain operating systems (we us macs).

But thy just discontinued the ultra studio 4k, so we are looking at the new 4k mini.

But the hyperdeck is a good option if you wish to stick with the old ATM.

Return to Live Production