ATEM connection to MacBook trouble

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Griot's Garage

ATEM connection to MacBook trouble

PostWed Jun 26, 2019 12:36 am

Hello!
I'm super-new to all of this live broadcast stuff. Come from a post-product media background, so this is all pretty foreign to me.

I recently got an ATEM TV studio HD and a web presenter in a mobile rack, with the hopes of livestreaming a multi-cam broadcast from different locations.

I did my first test stream, and everything seems fine, however I can seem to get the ATEM to connect to my computer. I just bought a 2019 MacBook Pro, and the only inputs on the damned thing are thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports (other than a 1/8th headphone jack)

I bought an ethernet to USB 3.0 adapter, that I use to plug into a Hyperdrive Hub, which then connects to the computer via two thunderbolt 3 ports.

has anyone managed to get a setup like this to work? Or do I need to revisit the drawing board on this? Has anyone else found a way to connect the ethernet from the ATEM to a newer MacBook that's devoid of an ethernet port?

I would very much appreciate any help on this topic!

Have Fun In Your Garage!

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

Re: ATEM connection to MacBook trouble

PostWed Jun 26, 2019 6:26 pm

If it's an intermittent connection issue, it could be the adapter or possibly the WiFi causing the drop of connection to the ATEM.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Jay Shoup

Re: ATEM connection to MacBook trouble

PostTue Jul 09, 2019 3:17 am

You need to get a USB-C multiport adaptor.

You can have power, ethernet, HDMI, USB 3, USB 2, and SD card reader ports all on the same adaptor.

Your MBP has four USB-C ports. I would get another dedicated ethernet adaptor for use in one, then get a multiport for use in another.

Good luck!

-Jay

Return to Live Production