Black Screen When Live Streaming UltraStudio Mini Recorder

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

jtewks

Black Screen When Live Streaming UltraStudio Mini Recorder

PostWed Jul 03, 2019 7:09 pm

Our office recently purchased an UltraStudio Mini Recorder for live streaming our Lumix GH5 on Facebook Live. But when I try to go live and choose "Blackmagic WDM Capture" or "Decklink Video Capture" in the Facebook window, the feed comes up as black/silent. The laptop's on-board webcam works fine on Facebook Live, but not the GH5 feed.

Our setup is:

GH5 > HDMI > UltraStudio Mini Recorder > Thunderbolt > Thunderbolt Legacy Adapter > Laptop

Running Windows 10 Pro with Blackmagic Desktop Video 11.2.

The GH5 feed works fine in Media Express, but it doesn't want to display properly for live streaming on Facebook, Vimeo, etc. Always a black screen with no audio.

Our Dell laptop is 3 months old with all firmware and software up-to-date. Lumix GH5 firmware also up-to-date, running version 2.4.

I disabled firewalls on the laptop, tried different web browsers, messed with GH5 frame rates, fiddled with Mini Recorder input conversion, and also tried just going live (in case it was a preview screen issue in Facebook) but nothing has worked. Any ideas? I appreciate any help I can get!

mrondina

Re: Black Screen When Live Streaming UltraStudio Mini Record

PostWed Aug 14, 2019 11:45 pm

Hi jtewks, what are your output framerates from the GH5? I ask, because I run a similar setup from the Canon C200 and Facebook did not like the interlace frames coming from the Canon. I've had a lot of success using 29.97p at 1080 and letting Facebook handle the 720p compression, tho

Return to Live Production