Panasonic HMC40 x Atem Television (HDMI ??)

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

fernandoblack

Panasonic HMC40 x Atem Television (HDMI ??)

PostThu Jun 27, 2013 9:30 pm

Hello friends,

I am Brazilian (sorry my writing). Atem Television bought for $ 950.00 in order to control 4 cameras (Panasonic HMC40) via HDMI. However I found that I have to keep cameras 4 to 3 meters away, because it does not work with greater distance. That makes no sense. If I buy 4 converters (x HDMI SDI) in order to solve the problem, I will pay more $ 2,000.00. Ie, for which the product has 4 HDMI inputs? Does anyone have any guaranteed solution and cheaper?

I am very disappointed..

Thank you,
Fernando Silva

Kingsley Foreman

Re: Panasonic HMC40 x Atem Television (HDMI ??)

PostFri Jun 28, 2013 12:19 am

I have a hmc41e (the Aussie equivalent).

It will be back in the office this afternoon Ill have a look with a 10m HDMI cable. You shouldn't really be doing much more then that over hdmi anyway.

If not you can pay much less then $2k for hdmi-sdi converters, I have a few that are $150 each that work well. That would only be $600.

Kingsley

Scott Ryan

PostFri Jun 28, 2013 12:27 am

SDI is the way to go for longer distances. Limit on SDI is about 300 feet (~91 meters). If you need more than that then you have to use an SDI repeater or digital amplifier to boost the signal. You could also go the fiber route and use camera converters like you said. Fiber distance is some crazy distance like 20 miles.

labmaster

PostFri Jun 28, 2013 2:06 am

fernandoblack wrote:Hello friends,

I am Brazilian (sorry my writing). Atem Television bought for $ 950.00 in order to control 4 cameras (Panasonic HMC40) via HDMI. However I found that I have to keep cameras 4 to 3 meters away, because it does not work with greater distance. That makes no sense. If I buy 4 converters (x HDMI SDI) in order to solve the problem, I will pay more $ 2,000.00. Ie, for which the product has 4 HDMI inputs? Does anyone have any guaranteed solution and cheaper?

I am very disappointed..

Thank you,
Fernando Silva

HDMI is a consumer standard not made for long distances.
The Atem TVS also has 4 SDI inputs that could be used for distances up to nearly 100m (depending on cable quality and source device ....)
When using HDMI the distance you could reach also mainly depends on the signal quality of the camera and the quality of the HMDI cable.
We successfully used HDMI on Atem TVS with up to 20meters but this is very risky as HDMI was never designed for this and every little disturbing signal (from mobilephone, powercable ... ) could distroy the signal.

If you don't need SD video, i would suggest to buy a bunch of cheap HDMI to HDSDI converters (check at ebay, start from about 100 USD/each) if you would need all 6 inputs buy another 2 HDSDI to HDMI converters. I personaly would always go for a brand converter like from BMD here you have support for SDI (SD Video) and could get software updates, bugfixes and extended features.

best regards,
Walter

Return to Live Production