deck link duo 2 + sonnet breakaway box

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

nicoguich

deck link duo 2 + sonnet breakaway box

PostWed Jul 17, 2019 9:42 am

hi!
Do someone has any experiences with this setup ?
_a deck link duo 2 on a sonnet breakaway box plug in firebolt 3 port of a macbook pro.

Do you think that setup works?

thank you!

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: deck link duo 2 + sonnet breakaway box

PostThu Jul 18, 2019 2:46 am

While I have never tried a DeckLink card in the Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box (which is relatively new and seems to be designed more for NVidia or AMD graphics cards), I have used DeckLink cards successfully in other PCI Express to Thunderbolt enclosures.

Sonnet, for example, has the Echo Express line which has a list of compatible cards that specifically includes the DeckLink Duo 2: https://www.sonnettech.com/support/char ... index.html

The Sonnet Echo Express SE I should fit the DeckLink Duo 2 card and may be a bit less expensive than the eGFX Breakaway Box.

Peter Aellig

PostSat Jul 20, 2019 8:29 am

i have a AKiTiO Thunder3 PCIe Box , running with a DUO2, also tested with a 4K Pro.
We also have an older Sonnett PCIe SE1 box (TB2) , running a Duo2 also.
Both on HP ZBooks Laptops, running CasparCG or VMIX.

nicoguich

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 10:06 am

thanks for all your advices.
I've ordered an echo express SE I !
I'll test it tomorrow!

Nikko Yuste

PostFri Jun 05, 2020 12:47 pm

Why don't you use Decklink 8k Pro, would it work?

Joseph Villegas

PostFri Jun 05, 2020 1:18 pm

I have the Decklink duo 2 and Sonnet SE I thunderbolt 2.

I use it with my rMBP 15" 2013 GT750M flawlessly.

Bring me 4 SDI channels, and I can use it as in/out in the configuration that I want (2 in - 2 out, 3 in- 1 out, etc)

Nikko Yuste

PostSat Jun 06, 2020 12:45 pm

That same would Decklink 8K pro but in 4K?

Dave Del Vecchio

PostSat Jun 06, 2020 8:57 pm

Nikko Yuste wrote:That same would Decklink 8K pro but in 4K?
According to Sonnet's compatibility document, the DeckLink 8K Pro is only compatible with the Sonnet Echo Express SE III and IIIe enclosures which use a Thunderbolt 3 port:
https://www.sonnettech.com/support/down ... bility.pdf

I think this may be in part because the DeckLink 8K Pro card has a PCI Express 3.0 x8 interface while the Echo Express SE I and SE II only have PCI Express 2.0 slots which are about half of the bandwidth of PCIe 3.0. So it is possible that when using all of the ports on the 8K pro at their highest resolution, you could exceed the bandwidth of the slower PCIe 2.0 or Thunderbolt 2 interface.

In addition to the higher bandwidth requirements, the DeckLink 8K Pro also has higher power consumption than the DeckLink Duo 2, and includes a 6-pin Aux power connector which the Echo Express SE III does include an additional power output for (but the other enclosures lack). The published power consumption of the 8K Pro card is only 19W, however, which is within the 25W limit provided by the PCIe slot itself, so it's a little unclear whether supplying power to the the 6-pin Aux connector is actually required, or whether it's just a backup for under-spec PCIe slots.

Nikko Yuste

PostMon Jun 08, 2020 12:29 pm

Thanks Dave Del Vecchio, but then if the breakaway should work well?

Dave Del Vecchio

PostMon Jun 08, 2020 11:46 pm

Nikko Yuste wrote:Thanks Dave Del Vecchio, but then if the breakaway should work well?
Yes, since the Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box is Thunderbolt 3 and has a PCIe 3.0 x16 with an Aux power connector, I would expect that it probably works with the DeckLink 8K Pro card.

It doesn't look like Sonnet has a compatibility chart for the eGFX Breakaway Box and non-graphics cards, but they say that it works with other PCIe cards, so I assume that it is compatible with everything that the Echo Express SE IIIe is.

Nikko Yuste

PostFri Jun 12, 2020 1:57 pm

ok thanks, can you have different resolutions in each entry?

Dave Del Vecchio

PostSat Jun 13, 2020 4:14 am

Nikko Yuste wrote:ok thanks, can you have different resolutions in each entry?
Yes, the DeckLink Duo, DeckLink Quad, and DeckLink 8K cards effectively operate as if they are multiple distinct DeckLink devices in the system. So if you have the card configured for 4 separate input channels (or 4 output channels) then each can be at a different resolution.

The only exception is if you configure the card such that two SDI connectors are assigned to a single video channel (often one for input and one for output, or for dual-link SDI), then the two SDI connectors assigned to that channel would be operating at the same resolution.

You may want to look at the DeckLink Quad 2 Connector Mapping section in the Desktop Video Manual for more information about configuring the SDI connectors on these multi-channel cards (the same principles apply to the DeckLink Duo 2, DeckLink Quad 2 and DeckLink 8K, the DeckLink Quad 2 just has twice as many SDI connectors (8 instead of 4) so it supports twice as many channels:
https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/ ... 1926411000

Return to Live Production