Vmix title as input for ATEM down or upstream key issue

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Groovestar

Vmix title as input for ATEM down or upstream key issue

PostThu Jul 25, 2019 11:18 pm

I typically use Vmix for sport broadcasting as my main switcher but do have split inputs between vmix and Atem1 and then ATEM output (for redundancy).

I'm thinking of upgrading to ATEM 4K pro control surface and wanted title from Vmix (scoreboard w active clock) as an input; however it seems to be faded/semi transparent when used as DSK or upstream key.

Anyone else using something like Vmix for graphics/animations as an input in atem switcher without issues?

Kevin Copeland

Re: Vmix title as input for ATEM down or upstream key issue

PostSat Aug 10, 2019 1:44 am

The correct way to do this is using key (alpha channel) and fill. I think vMix has the ability to output an alpha channel but you would need a decklink card or something like that. This would input 2 signals into the ATEM. Vmix video and alpha channel. The in the DSK setting you would choose the vMix video for the fill, and the vMix alpha channel for the key.

Another inexpensive solution is PowerPoint on Windows with the SimpleSupers app which gives you key and fill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zach Schuster

Re: Vmix title as input for ATEM down or upstream key issue

PostSat Aug 10, 2019 2:50 am

Sounds like it might be a premultiply key issue. I presume you are trying to do a luma key? Is your background completely black? Uncheck premultiply key in the DSK and then adjust the clip and gain as needed.

This is a tutorial video I made for SuiteCG, but jump to 7:30 on the video and you can see how a luma key is pulled. This should work with the vMix output as well. I'm not sure if this will be helpful for you or not. https://suitecg.com/integration-with-hardware-switchers/

There is a version of vMix that will output a key and fill to a Decklink card, but I think it is the Pro version.
Zach Schuster
SuiteCG- Scorebug Controllers and StatCrew Data Translators for Broadcast CGs
www.suitecg.com

Return to Live Production