Recording studio + Video studio

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

MarkAmber

Recording studio + Video studio

PostSun Aug 11, 2019 12:32 am

Hello I am looking to set up a studio with the following kit and I have some questions regarding the products and capabilities following that:

- 2x Ursa Broadcast with the proprietary 16x Fuji lens, on pedestal with prompters
- 2x studio fiber chains
- ATEM constellation
- 4x hyperdeck extreme
- pro tools with sync HD

The budget allows for some flexibility in doing this right, but I think blackmagic offers a superb value, and the primary purpose of the studio is audio capture so I’m not needing boxlens or dealing with client who want to see Sony logos on everything.

This studio 9/10 times will be minimally staffed. No prompter or camera operator. Just locked off, and they will just record line cut of single camera or just throw a card in camera. For the real deal we need ability to send via web and satellite a live production and will have more experienced operators pack in the control room.

Questions:
- For comms, with the constellation attached to the CCU connected to the fiber backs on the cameras, will I be able to just plug a headset into constellation and the cameras and it “just work”.
- down the line if we add dedicated comms for additional operators like prompter can I hook up a traditional system or is that function not ready yet... both the studio converter AND constellation claim they have ports for this
- the current theory is to have the cameras record internally as a backup, and use decks as primary. Can I trigger records on the cameras via ATEM?
-what exactly is going on with timecode? If I feed TC into constellation will all my cameras, decks receive it if they are plugged into the outputs of the constellation? So little info on this! I want my 2 cameras, 4 decks, and pro tools to share central machine control and timecode. If the cameras have to be manually press recorded that’s understandable.
- does the fiber converter for the ursa pass IP? I am looking at the prompters with IP rather than SDI. That would be so nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: Recording studio + Video studio

PostWed Aug 14, 2019 12:17 am

MarkAmber wrote:-what exactly is going on with timecode? If I feed TC into constellation will all my cameras, decks receive it if they are plugged into the outputs of the constellation? So little info on this! I want my 2 cameras, 4 decks, and pro tools to share central machine control and timecode. If the cameras have to be manually press recorded that’s understandable.
Unlike the ATEM 2 M/E and 4 M/E 4K models, there is no timecode input on the ATEM Constellation 8K, so there is no way to feed timecode to the switcher. The switcher does have an internal timecode generator (you can set the starting timecode via the ATEM software control panel), and it will embed this generated timecode on all of the SDI outputs of the ATEM.

So you would have to be ok with using the ATEM as the timecode master. And if you need to feed the ATEM's timecode into the Avid Sync HD box for Pro Tools, you will need a timecode disembedder (like the Teranex Mini SDI to HDMI or Teranex Mini SDI to Audio) to extract the ATEM's timecode as an LTC signal.

MarkAmber

PostWed Aug 14, 2019 1:13 pm

Dave Del Vecchio wrote:Unlike the ATEM 2 M/E and 4 M/E 4K models, there is no timecode input on the ATEM Constellation 8K, so there is no way to feed timecode to the switcher

Good to know.

I suppose the best way would then be to forget about getting timecode to the cameras, unless there was a way to feed it to the cameras independently. I suppose there must be a way to disable timecode on the constellation right?

Dave Del Vecchio

PostWed Aug 14, 2019 7:45 pm

MarkAmber wrote:I suppose the best way would then be to forget about getting timecode to the cameras, unless there was a way to feed it to the cameras independently. I suppose there must be a way to disable timecode on the constellation right?
There is no way to disable the built-in timecode generator on the ATEM Constellation, I don't think. The timecode generator starts running when the ATEM boots and gets embedded on all of the SDI outputs. The only control you have over it is to restart the timecode generator with a new initial timecode via the software control panel.

The URSA Broadcast models do have a dedicated reference/timecode input connector that can be used to feed LTC timecode directly to the camera if needed.

And you could also feed this LTC timecode into the HyperDeck Extreme 8K's timecode input (you would just set the HyperDeck to read from the external XLR timecode source, rather than using the embedded timecode on the SDI video input).

Since LTC timecode is just an analog audio signal, you can use an analog audio distribution amplifier to split the signal or even passive Y-cables if only sending it to a couple of devices. There are also some wireless timecode systems you could look into if you don't want to run cables to each device.

Return to Live Production