Hyperdecks freezing during capture with LAN connected

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Andy Williams

Hyperdecks freezing during capture with LAN connected

PostThu Aug 22, 2019 1:35 am

We have an ongoing issue with 20+ hyperdecks across 6 or 7 flypacks and iso racks of various models from the original studio with an external power supply to the newest 4K studio pro. All systems utilize various types of network routers, switches etc. with some managed and some unmanaged. They all exhibit the same problem. If they are connected to the LAN, they will at some point freeze during capture and become unresponsive until power cycled. If the LAN is never connected they never freeze. We have done some troubleshooting and placed the decks on their own VLAN with nothing else there except for the router and they still froze. We have tried DHCP and static IP also. I’m not sure at this time about software levels and such, but I will get some more details tomorrow back at the office. Plus I will try to procure any requested information to aid in troubleshooting this. Thank you,
589media
Live Video, Communications, Networks, Integration

frlawton

Re: Hyperdecks freezing during capture with LAN connected

PostThu Aug 22, 2019 8:42 am

Not necessarily a solution, but I also experienced this when triggering the record from ATEM Software Control. Since then we've always pushed the physical record button and haven't experienced the same issue.
Francis Lawton : Group Visual LTD. : www.groupvisual.co.uk

Xtreemtec

PostThu Aug 22, 2019 9:20 am

The only thing i can think of is that the hyperdeck gets some sort of command over TCP which holds it and crashes on that.

Normally you can control the hyperdeck on TCP by Telnet commands. Might be some combination or even some scan trough the network from something that kills it..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Andy Williams

PostThu Aug 22, 2019 11:24 am

Thank you for the replies so far. Just want to make sure people know that we have put the hyper decks on their own VLAN and they are still freezing. Also we do not have any ATEM switchers so that controller is not loaded on any computers we have. Just got into the office this morning so I will post firmware once I figure out how to determine what they have. Theres not an obvious way to find out that I see.
589media

Xtreemtec

PostThu Aug 22, 2019 11:52 am

only way to find out is install ahyperdeck utility on your machine and let it connect to the unit. If it says update required you know it is running a different version. :lol: :lol:

But it would be best practice just to update them to the latest version available. ;)

And yes i get the Vlan thing. But a managed switch can still do thing across all vlans right? Things like DHCP polling, Port polling
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

rspeiser

PostThu Aug 22, 2019 5:54 pm

Andy Williams wrote:We have an ongoing issue with 20+ hyperdecks across 6 or 7 flypacks and iso racks

offtopic, but would love to see pics of your flypacks & racks. Just working on putting together a flypack system with 4 UB cams, 20x20hub, 2ME 4k, displays, Hyperdeck minis, control surface, etc. and struggling a bit with how to be small and efficient yet quick to deploy and easy to use.

Russ
Ursa Broadcast cams, 2ME 4k ATEM, 20x20 hub, 1ME advanced panel, Hyperdeck Minis, etc.

Andy Williams

PostFri Aug 23, 2019 12:40 am

Xtreemtec wrote:only way to find out is install ahyperdeck utility on your machine and let it connect to the unit. If it says update required you know it is running a different version. :lol: :lol:

But it would be best practice just to update them to the latest version available. ;)

And yes i get the Vlan thing. But a managed switch can still do thing across all vlans right? Things like DHCP polling, Port polling

I was figuring that is what I would have to do, it is slightly irritating but you get what you pay for I guess...
I am fairly sure they are on at least 5.3 right now.

Yea it might be a minute before I get to that. I am elbows deep into renovating our largest flypack right now so probably another week. I just wanted to start the conversation now since I searched and couldn’t find anything anywhere with others having problems with this. I’m hoping to maybe gather some fresh ideas to try once I am able to do some troubleshooting.

As far as the VLAN goes it is on a completely different network and subnet, but it is routable. So yes a direct ping to a specific IP of a hyperdeck would return a packet from it. However any sort of zeroconfig or multicast data would not reach it from any other network.

rspeiser wrote:
Andy Williams wrote:We have an ongoing issue with 20+ hyperdecks across 6 or 7 flypacks and iso racks

offtopic, but would love to see pics of your flypacks & racks. Just working on putting together a flypack system with 4 UB cams, 20x20hub, 2ME 4k, displays, Hyperdeck minis, control surface, etc. and struggling a bit with how to be small and efficient yet quick to deploy and easy to use.

Russ

https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=142099&fullsize=1
https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=142098&fullsize=1
https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=142097&fullsize=1

There’s our next to smallest flypack with a bunch of horsepower in a small space with similar specs to what you were talking about.
589media

Return to Live Production