Help with DIP Switch Settings

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

fotofx

Help with DIP Switch Settings

PostSun Jul 07, 2013 9:18 pm

Not sure what I should set the individual DIP switches at on my three mini converters.

Here is my scenario:

Macbook Pro feeding a HDMI to SDI converter. Macbook is running GrandVJ for stage visuals.

150' SDI Run to a SDI to HDMI converter that feeds a projector.
50' SDI Run from the SDI Out on the above SDI to HDMI to another SDI to HDMI converter on a second projector.

NO AUDIO IS BEING USED.

Wondering what settings I should use to get the best range and performance on the transmitting HDMI-SDI and each of the receiving SDI to HDMI boxes.

Thanks

Liam Kennedy

Re: Help with DIP Switch Settings

PostMon Jul 08, 2013 3:00 am

I don't think there are ANY specific dip switch settings that will improve anything with the range or performance. Every switch should likely be off.

The converters only work with video standards... so make sure your MacBook outputs a valid video format.

Were you having any issues?
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

fotofx

PostMon Jul 08, 2013 3:06 am

I was having some dropout on the first projector. It would lose image and then hunt for the signal. I turned the DIP switch for processing on only on the hdmi to sdi and the image came up and has not dropped out again. Wondering if I should do anything to the two receivers.

Liam Kennedy

PostMon Jul 08, 2013 3:15 am

OK. It helps to know what you are dealing with. I don't know what may be causing the dropouts... but that "Processing" switch means it will be down-converting the HDMI signal from the MAC to SD resolution (and dramatically reducing the amount of digital data travelling down the SDI cable). Did you not notice a reduction in quality on the projector?

One of the cortical parts of the "quality" aspect is the signal path/cabling. It sounds like that 150' cable feeding the first projector may not be quite up to the spec. If it is possible for you to change that to a better quality version that should do the trick. As a test... and if it is possible for you to do this... can you move the mac-book closer to the first projector and use the 50ft cable instead. I suspect you'll see the problem is resolved. Therefore indicating it is a cabling issue.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

fotofx

PostMon Jul 08, 2013 12:55 pm

Actually the long cable is a high quality HDSDI on a reel from Markertek. The short cable is crap and I already ordered a new one. But with the processing on both work great. These are just projected stage visuals so I am not sure I would really notice the difference but I can not find a detailed explanation of what the processing switch does and when/if I should be using it.

Return to Live Production