Interface re-design

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Andy Matheson

Interface re-design

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 11:29 am

I've just installed the 3.3 update on my iMac 21". Now that I have an audio panel to deal with on the interface, it occurs to me that life could get a little hectic on a live event trying to jump between "switcher" & "audio" - both of which need to be monitored constantly I'd have thought. With the switcher interface open, I still have loads of empty real-estate on my screen that could be used to better effect. Can I suggest that you look to upgrade the interface by allowing these panels to become re-sizeable "tear-off" palettes, like in FCP or Photoshop. I would find it much easier to have both audio & video switcher available all the time. Taking this idea further, having the media pool available like this would allow drag-and-drop of clips straight onto the switcher button to load them in, rather than the present cumbersome method of using the drop-down menus.

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

Re: Interface re-design

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 7:09 pm

I know you can run multiple versions of this on different computers. So you could have one computer opened to the switcher tab, and another on media and another on Audio.

I've never tried it but I assume you could actually run multiple instance of the application on the same computer pointed to the same switcher, then just keep the tab open. As for re sizable, we don't typically do that.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Liam Kennedy

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 7:26 pm

Joshua Helling wrote:I've never tried it but I assume you could actually run multiple instance of the application on the same computer pointed to the same switcher, then just keep the tab open. As for re sizable, we don't typically do that.

You can indeed do this.

With care.. you can also run two instances of the control software pointing to different switchers on the same computer too (it involves setting up a .BAT file with a shortcut and passing the IP address of each switcher in as a parameter).
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Andy Matheson

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 8:26 pm

Multiple computers just to run each interface sounds like a budget busting solution. I'll give the multi instances on one computer a go though.

Return to Live Production