SDI connection not working on Decklink Mini Recorder

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Stevejhb

SDI connection not working on Decklink Mini Recorder

PostTue Sep 10, 2019 9:37 am

Hi everyone

I am doing alive stream set up for sport/

This is my set up:

Canon Legria HF G26 with an hdmi out into a black magic HDMI to SDI converter then SDI cable from converter into a Black Magic Decklink Recorder.

When I plug the HDMI straight into the Decklink I have no issues but when I go through the converter and SDI cable there is no signal.

I am using V mix but even when I use the Black Magic Desktop Video Set Up application there is no signal being picked up on the SDI. Everything is literally out the box so not sure what else I can do?

RichardJolly

Re: SDI connection not working on Decklink Mini Recorder

PostTue Sep 10, 2019 2:43 pm

Is the Decklink controlled by Blackmagic Desktop Video software to switch between inputs, like the external Mini Recorders?

RichardJolly

PostTue Sep 10, 2019 2:47 pm

Personally I always use Blackmagic Media Express to check for presence of picture and sound if not showing up in third party software.

Stevejhb

PostTue Sep 10, 2019 4:53 pm

RichardJolly wrote:Personally I always use Blackmagic Media Express to check for presence of picture and sound if not showing up in third party software.

I use the black magic desktop video program. When I plug my camera in via HDMI it comes up with 1080i 50p as the input, if I go to the card via the converter and sdi there is no signal detected. I literally unpacked everything this morning so difficult to understand where the issue is unless I've received a faulty converter.

Stevejhb

PostTue Sep 10, 2019 4:58 pm

Interesting development. The converter definitely works as does the cables etc, When I plugged the hdmi for my second monitor into the converter, it picked up the signal so it's only not working when plugged into the camera.

Hakan Taube Lyxzen

PostTue Sep 10, 2019 5:20 pm

Have you set the input on the Mini recorder to SDI? I'm not sure if the Decklink mini recorder works the same way as the Ultrastudio mini recorder does, where you have to set the input used in the setup software.
Hakan Taube Lyxzen
prostreaming.se

Stevejhb

PostTue Sep 10, 2019 5:43 pm

Yes I did. When I plug my pcs one hdmi output into the converter it works without an issue. It's only when I plug the camera in.

Did some digging and seems this forum was about the exact same issue:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=56949

Still not entirely sure how to fix the problem and whether I now need to invest in an hdmi box or new converter etc.

Hakan Taube Lyxzen

PostTue Sep 10, 2019 5:57 pm

It could be that the converter that you are using are accepting 1080p50 or higher as a signal and then send that signal to your mini recorder thru the sdi cable. The mini recorder doesn't go beyond 1080p30. When you connect directly to the mini recorder the mini recorder tells the source what signals it accepts and then gets a signal. You need either to set the output of your source to a signal your mini recorder can handle or use something like a updowncross HD from blackmagic or Decimator MD-HX to change the signal.
Hakan Taube Lyxzen
prostreaming.se

dkirker

PostSat Apr 18, 2020 11:25 pm

HI all,
I installed a Decklink Mini Recorder on a Windows 10 system yesterday. attached to the capture card is a Sony EVI-HD1 video camera via an SDI cable.
After 7 hours yesterday, all I have managed if for the capture card to receive a signal from the camera but there is no image. I have followed all the changes in drivers rolling them back to earlier versions and updating firmeware which I had to do manually...

Does anyone have any idea what I need to do to get this thing running?

Return to Live Production