File corrupted

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

stewe84

File corrupted

PostTue Jul 09, 2013 3:48 pm

Hi everybody, I bought an UltraStudio Mini Recorder. I had no time to test it before this event.
I used Mac Book OS 10.8.4 and latest Blackmagic Media Express.
I recorded an event in 2 part.
Record type: uncompressed yuv 8 bit 4 2 2
My hard drive passed Disk Speed Test.
The problem is that first file is readable and second half is corrupted.
Same source, same broadcast camera, same cable HD SDI, everything was the same during this event.
Media express was correctly stopped (no crash, no power failure, nothing bad).
I already try to open using VLC and many other software and try some "phantomatic" mov repair with no result.
I need to extract in some way at least video...is there a way?

Liam Kennedy

Re: File corrupted

PostTue Jul 09, 2013 4:44 pm

Cant help you with the file corruption (sorry)

I have a question about how you recorded though. You must have a massively fast hard drive in the Mac Book to save raw uncompressed. What drive do you have in that thing? It must be a very large hard drive (or your recordings were very short) as uncompressed create truly massive files in mere minutes.

Anyhow... I hope you can recover the corrupt file.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

stewe84

PostWed Jul 10, 2013 8:36 am

I used New Mac Book but I recorded on 1Tb sata3 - USB 3.0. I tested it with Disk Speed Tool and can write my format. It's about 50-60Mb/s I think.
I have 2 external SSD drive too, I didn't use them because are 240Gb.
I tested half hour before starting event and it worked and then I recorded my first file that is about 400Gb and no problem on this. Then I start second one but when I stopped it, no preview in Media Express.

I think that second file has no headers so I can't open it. I analyze both with HEX editor and at the end of my corrupted file there are no information like first one.

I'd like to recover some video...at least some parts...no audio needed.

Liam Kennedy

PostWed Jul 10, 2013 8:53 am

I tested it with Disk Speed Tool and can write my format.

What <exactly> is your format? I know you said uncompressed YUV 4:2:2 and HD-SDI

60Mb/s is way too slow to be uncompressed HD-SDI. Typically to record uncompressed HD you would need striped and raid(ed) drives. It's also very unusual to record uncompressed to an internal system drive.

Are you sure the Diskspeed test passed?

stewe84

PostWed Jul 10, 2013 8:38 pm

So, you are right...the first file is 205Gb large and is 43 minutes long.
It means about 80Mb/s (not 60 as I said).
Testing my external hard drive with the utility and see about 115/117 Mb/s read and write.
I just tried to record using the same camera (Panasonic Broadcast AG-HPX171), the same cable and the same format 1 entire hour on this hard drive: file is perfect and readable so I'm phisically sure that my hard drive support this format.
If it has worked for 43 and 60 minutes I'm pretty sure about this...I don't think it was lucky event!

My real question is: I have a corrupted file...about 200Gb...ok maybe there was an issue during the record (don't know what) nothing could be extract from this? 10 minutes...2 minutes....1...anything?
My Mov file is just a container of a video stream.

Liam Kennedy

PostWed Jul 10, 2013 9:50 pm

Well as I said. I'm sorry. I don't have any recommendations on how to uncorrupt the file. My primary intention was at least to help you not have the issue again (if it was related to the method of capture).

I wish you good luck in your quest.

Return to Live Production