HDMI Multiview not showing SDI inputs

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

kal-bert

HDMI Multiview not showing SDI inputs

PostWed Sep 18, 2019 8:24 pm

Hey y'all,

Brand new to Blackmagic. We are currently working with some PTZ cameras and the ATEM Television Studio Pro HD. When I put everything together, I saw that there was an HDMI Multiview out. But I am using the SDI In's for our cameras. But the cameras aren't showing up on my Multiview Grid. If I plug in an HDMI Cord from the camera to the back of the Studio Pro, it pops right up. Thoughts on this? Does the HDMI Multiview display SDI inputs?

Harry Parker

Re: HDMI Multiview not showing SDI inputs

PostWed Sep 18, 2019 10:42 pm

The multiview out will display all inputs, SDI or HDMI. You may have output resolution issues with the cameras, or you got seriously bad luck and your ATEM is DOA.

raythompsontn

PostThu Sep 19, 2019 12:28 am

Check the configuration of the switcher for the ports that are being displayed on the multiview. It is possible to change what displays in the eight smaller windows. The HDMI ports are different ports than the SDI ports. The windows may be configured to show inputs 1-4 where HDMI is connected while ports 5-8 are where SDI is connected. The configuration is easily changed using the ATEM software on a PC connected to the switcher via USB or network connected.

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Sep 19, 2019 3:37 am

One thing to check. If the cameras are outputting 60 Hz instead of 59.94, they will show on HDMI and not SDI.

Regards. Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Xtreemtec

PostThu Sep 19, 2019 11:00 am

What brand cameras are you using?? There are brands like PTZ Optics that does not work with the Atem due too using a not SMPTE compatible chipset. So it does not send out a broadcast standard sdi signal. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

kal-bert

PostThu Sep 19, 2019 1:38 pm

Bingo!!!! There it is. We are using Optic brand..haha...Thanks for saving me tons of headache!!

Xtreemtec

PostThu Sep 19, 2019 4:02 pm

These cameras send out a NON SMPTE signal ( no broadcast payload ID's ) which is currently only detected by the Atem Television Studio 4K Pro.

But all other Atems currently do not support this non broadcast signal. So there cameras might be cheaper then others. But are not really supported well.

Decimator MD-HX do the job very well to convert it to a correct signal. Also you could just Add a HDMI > SDI Mirco to the HDMI output of this camera. This will give you a correct SDI signal ;)
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

kal-bert

PostThu Sep 19, 2019 6:26 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Decimator MD-HX do the job very well to convert it to a correct signal. Also you could just Add a HDMI > SDI Mirco to the HDMI output of this camera. This will give you a correct SDI signal ;)

What you're saying is I could go SDI Out of Camera into the Micro Coverter and HDMI out of the Converter into the ATEM Studio Pro HD?

Xtreemtec

PostThu Sep 19, 2019 8:36 pm

No. Take the HDMI out of the camera. Put a micro converter HDMI > SDI on there. And take that SDI to your atem.

Because the BMD Micro converter sends broadcast SMTPE compatible signals, it will work. ;)

PTZ_Optics_hdmi_sdi_trick.jpeg
PTZ_Optics_hdmi_sdi_trick.jpeg (227.06 KiB) Viewed 3014 times

kal-bert

PostFri Sep 20, 2019 3:43 pm

Ordered! Thanks so much for the help! Have a great weekend!

Return to Live Production