What TV for multiview in 2019?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

rspeiser

What TV for multiview in 2019?

PostThu Sep 26, 2019 5:51 pm

Hi all,
Just tried a Samsung UE43RU7102 (2019 43" 4k LCD TV) as a multiviewer with our 2 m/e Production 4K and it didn't work very well at all. There were some lines on the display, and it would go black every few seconds. Tried changing cables; was same. Tried both multiviewer outputs; the same. Tried the multiviewer outputs with a 27" computer monitor and an older 40" Samsung HD LCD and both were fine. So it's going back...

Which is making me a little wary about simply purchasing another identical screen, which I picked because it was a Samsung with low latency (<10ms).

I found a few threads like this one: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=43902&p=254333&hilit=lcd+multiviewer#p254333 but nothing current.

What screens in about the 43" size would you recommend? (Especially if you know they work...)
Ursa Broadcast cams, 2ME 4k ATEM, 20x20 hub, 1ME advanced panel, Hyperdeck Minis, etc.

raythompsontn

Re: What TV for multiview in 2019?

PostFri Sep 27, 2019 2:26 pm

You probably just got a bad unit. You swapped everything else thus pointing to the unit. That is why there are warranties. Find another TV in the size range you want and go for it. I have used multiple Samsung units without any issues.

rspeiser

PostFri Sep 27, 2019 2:40 pm

Thanks. I'm actually thinking of putting the switcher and a hyperdeck mini and some cables in a backpack and bringing it to a store that carries one and trying it out before the purchase...

Based on specs and review I'd still go for a Samsung 43RU7xxx.

Now waiting for confirmation on the return.
Ursa Broadcast cams, 2ME 4k ATEM, 20x20 hub, 1ME advanced panel, Hyperdeck Minis, etc.

Matt Certa

PostFri Sep 27, 2019 2:52 pm

Just general tossout, I’ve run into TV’s that only accept hdmi 2.0 cables recently. Which was aggravating to figure out after a hour of troubleshooting. I’m at the point where I’ve thrown out all my old cables and loaded up on new ones from monoprice

rspeiser

PostSat Oct 05, 2019 8:42 am

Follow up: Returned the 7102 and went to local store with switcher and mini deck but they refused to allow me to test any TVs in the store because "they had no insurance if I wrecked it". Ok. I asked about buying one and testing it in the store and then if it didn't work returning it immediately and they said "no problem but it would be subject to 10% restocking fee". So ordered a 7125 off their website where the terms indicate I can return it in up to 15 days for full refund. Way to sabotage your brick and mortar stores...

Anyway, hooking it up to the HDMI connections on the 2 m/e 4k Production switcher yielded... no input detected. This is for multiviewer 1 & 2 and program out. Nada.

Hooked it up directly to BM mini recorder and the 2160p signal played no problem. This is all with hdmi 2.0 high speed with ethernet cables btw.

So now my suspicion is directed to the switcher itself, either an incompatible hdmi signal (??) or it's simply faulty. Will try and contact customer service.

rspeiser

PostThu Oct 24, 2019 10:10 pm

Follow up 2: 2 m/e 4k switcher sent to Blackmagic UK; their testing revealed no problems with HMDI outputs (rats).

So it seems to be an incompatibility between the switcher's HDMI outputs and the Samsung TVs HDMI inputs, I'm thinking an EDID handshaking problem. BM tech suggested an HDMI splitter or similar to "force" EDID info.

I see a number of HDMI "pass-through" or "EDID emulator" dongles on Amazon.

Anyone have any experience with a similar situation? The "display emulator" products are considerably cheaper than the "EDID emulator" ones although form factor is similar and I would think a display emulator would need to handle EDID info to be recognized so not sure what additional functionality is being offered by the "EDID emulator" products. (there are no user selectable choices in either, ie. dip switchers, software confi etc.)

rspeiser

PostThu Oct 24, 2019 10:35 pm

rspeiser wrote:The "display emulator" products are considerably cheaper than the "EDID emulator" ones ...

Ah, just found answer: display emulator has no output, as they are used for headless PCs; EDID emulator has output (also labeled source/sink ports).

David Baxter

PostThu Oct 24, 2019 11:19 pm

This doesn't directly answer your problem, but perhaps it's helpful data for you or others looking for a 43" Multiviewer TV...

We recently purchased 2x 43" Samsung RU7100 TVs (which I believe is the same TV, just the USA part number).

They worked flawlessly as multiviewers for a 2-day conference when used with our ATEM Constellation. We were running multiviewer in 2160p29.97 for a 1080p29.97 production.

(The Constellation only has SDI multiviewer outputs, so we converted to HDMI via a Blackmagic SDI -> HDMI 6G converter).

rspeiser

PostFri Oct 25, 2019 1:33 pm

Yes, this is indeed another option and the first one that I thought of. Also gives an additional option of taking an SDI output from the Smarthub so we could easily switch the Samsung TV to display other sources.

Only issue is we don't currently have a SDI-HDMI converter so would have to purchase one. The HDMI EDID emulators are quite inexpensive (10-20 euros) compared to the 200 or euros for a 6G converter, so worth a try I thought.

rspeiser

PostThu Nov 28, 2019 3:42 pm

Update: Purchased and tried an EDID dongle (copies and transmits the EDID info to the display); this was only marginally better. The multiviewer signal was initially displayed, but the screen would go black every 10secs or so and occasionally go back to the "No input signal".

So purchased a SDI - HDMI 6G mini converter and took one of the SDI outs on the hub to go to the display. Works very well; instant lock, good pic. Added benefit of being able to route whatever we want to the large display.

However, did cost an output on the hub, and additional purchase of a mini converter I wasn't planning on.

Chuck Hawks

PostFri Dec 18, 2020 8:51 pm

I had the same issue with a Samsung RU7100 that connectied to an ATEM Mini Pro ISO for Multi-View and the TV was not recognizing the ATEM at all ("No Signal"), no matter what frame rate, I set on the ATEM (Minis are 1080 res only). Multi-View showed up using the same cable, etc. on literally everything else I plugged it into, from pro to other consumer gear.

Anything else I plugged into the TV (same ports - attempted all three...) seemed to work just fine, from a Raspberry Pi to a FireTV. So I knew the TV's inputs and the cable(s) were good, and of course the ATEM was putting out proper signal. Frustrating at best.

The fix: A gofanco HDMI splitter that has EDID dip switches on it, with one of the settings being an "EDID Learning Mode" that adjusts the output to whatever the end device (TV) told it was needed.

In the case you're dealing with this, the model of the gofanco unit that I used (2-way splitter) is PROHDRsplit2P.

It was a head scratcher until I came to this thread and saw the post on EDID above - triggering the "Ahah!" moment and luckily remembering I had the gofanco unit on a shelf.

Hope this helps someone save the time I wasted scratching my head.
Cheers,
C

Chuck Hawks
Old dog learning new tricks
On-High Media & rEvolution Performance

Raphaël Jacquot

PostSat Dec 19, 2020 10:43 am

Chuck Hawks wrote:The fix: A gofanco HDMI splitter that has EDID dip switches on it, with one of the settings being an "EDID Learning Mode" that adjusts the output to whatever the end device (TV) told it was needed.

HDMI is such a pain... why did it get ever invented ??

Chuck Hawks

PostTue Dec 22, 2020 4:55 am

HDMI is such a pain... why did it get ever invented ??

LOL
So that we could appreciate the beauty of SDI, of course!! :lol:
Cheers,
C

Chuck Hawks
Old dog learning new tricks
On-High Media & rEvolution Performance

Return to Live Production