ATEM Mini - Line In?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Firworks

ATEM Mini - Line In?

PostMon Sep 30, 2019 9:30 pm

It's a little unclear from Grant's initial presentation and then the specs on the BMD website what the input capabilities are on the two auxilliary audio inputs on the mini. Most everywhere it's just referred to as a mic in but he mentioned plugging an audio player into it to play music before a stream starts which would typically be a line-in / preamp bypass use case.

I'm wondering if there will be a way to designate those inputs as line level because I'm really looking forward to ditching all my Camlinks to run my multicamera stream but I am also using external XLR audio into a vocal processor and currently running that line in to a DI box and then using that as an audio source in OBS. I would love to be able to instead run a line-out from my processor setup into the ATEM Mini which would allow me to mute the mics from the switcher instead of having to mute it in OBS. It would also remove another piece of gear from the chain that is somewhat flaky anyhow (the DI box).

Denny Smith

Re: ATEM Mini - Line In?

PostWed Oct 02, 2019 5:30 pm

Until the Mini ATEM gets released, it is hard to say, but the BMD website ( https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/atemmini) lists the audio in as:
Total Audio Inputs
2 x 3.5mm stereo mini jack.

Normally if it was just a mic input, it would be listed as a Mic in. So it looks like it is both, selectable in the ATEM software.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Oct 03, 2019 3:33 am

Hello everyone. I am told that when released these inputs will be selectable between mic or line. Since they are balanced I do not know what level line will be so that information will wait until release. I hope this helps

Regards. Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Denny Smith

PostThu Oct 03, 2019 4:43 am

Yes, yes it does, thanks Gary.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Firworks

PostFri Oct 04, 2019 12:35 am

Wow! That's great news. Balanced line-in even. Thanks for the clarification Gary. This thing is going to be brilliant.

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Oct 04, 2019 1:19 am

I am very sorry. The inputs are unbalanced. I would like to blame my phone but it is my mistake. 3.5mm stereo is unbalanced. Sorry for any confusion.

Regards. Gary.
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Denny Smith

PostFri Oct 04, 2019 6:01 am

That is actually good news Gary, it means the Mini will work,with a Sound Devices MixPre, from the MixPre D to the new MixPre 2s.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Roelof Botha

PostMon Jan 20, 2020 1:37 pm

Good day

I would like to know if anybody can clarify the mic input on the Mini, as the last post on this topic was before the release of the Mini.

Just to mention:
In the manual it states that you can connect a music player, as well as a mic.
On the website it states "work with professional microphones"

My question is can it be configured as the following:
1. Stereo line input
2. BALANCED line/mic input (mono) - from a mixing desk, or a dynamic mic.
3. BALANCED line/mic input with phantom (mono) - condensor mics

The connector is a 3.5mm stereo connector, but that means it is a 3.5mm TRS connector that technically can receive a stereo line (from a music player), but can it also be configured as a balanced audio input (Mono input with Ground, Positive and Negative)

Any clarification would be appreciated

Kind regards

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jan 20, 2020 6:17 pm

Hello Everyone. I can provide some unofficial observations. Both 3.5mm inputs on the ATEM mini may be configured as Unbalanced Stereo "Mic" or "Line" levels. These levels are more HiFi and PC type levels, not audio console type levels. When in Mic mode, the expected level is around -55 dBu. When in Line mode, the level is around -15 dBu. They are always Unbalanced Stereo. There is no phantom power in these lines. I would recommend converting various microphone types to the line level to make it easy. While there are many ways to do this, I recommend properly converting Balanced signals to Unbalanced using a transformer or some proper active converter amplifier. Simply wiring different pins from a balanced signal to an unbalanced input will generally have issues that do not need to be there. I hope this helps.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Return to Live Production