Dissapointment from the start

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Mikael Johansson

Dissapointment from the start

PostWed Jan 08, 2014 5:27 pm

I preordered the 4k but got tired of waiting for it so i bought a sony f700 but I decided to get a BMCC 2.5k as a spare flight camera for aerial filming. Got home, started the camera and the touchscreen is living a life on its own, completely useless. So, reuturning the camera and probably have to wait several weeks while it gets sent for "controll"
How is it that a brand new, relatively expensive out of the packet camera has a flaw like that? Quality controll? :evil:
I never had an issue with Nikon, sony, canon or leika.

Theodore Prentice

Re: Dissapointment from the start

PostWed Jan 08, 2014 5:31 pm

it happens-

mine had a touchscreen issue new out of the box and i refused to send it in, i just put it straight to work and havent had any other problems with the camera to date.

yes it sucks, but youll get a properly working camera soon, hang in there.

Juvy

PostWed Jan 08, 2014 7:07 pm

I totally feel you.
Just got my BMPCC last thursday, exectly 6 month after I placed the order.
Opened the box to find a big square hole where the upper 1/4 inch hole should be...
It works fine, but I still have to send it back. Just in case one day I'de like to sell the camera.
I do hope BM will send some sort of compensation, like the batteries theiv'e sent with the recalibrated cameras 4 months ago.
With all that, I must say I really enjoyed playing with my bmpcc in the past week. can't wait to get it back (:
Yuval Gelbard

bruce

PostWed Jan 08, 2014 9:19 pm

My BMCC come with hot pixels that just won't go away and banding in shadow area even in daylight. Have to exchange for another one. The new one come with latest firmware so I know it is fresh from the factory. Work perfectly ever since. Love the image quality. Better than any DSLR for sure.

David Chapman

PostWed Jan 08, 2014 11:13 pm

I hope people don't think this is the norm at all. I received my 2.5k BMCC last January and it has worked flawlessly since. I had no issues with quality or screen problems.
David Chapman
Just another creative dude with a camera.

Kofa

PostThu Jan 09, 2014 12:03 am

Wow that sucks man. Nothing like the feeling of opening a new toy and it doesn't work properly. That's the main reason I usually try to buy things locally cause I can quickly exchange. Hang in there man, it's not the norm for sure.

It's interesting though how we (myself included) run to deliver bad news. But how many people went through the trouble of creating an account on the BMD forum to say how much they loved their camera after first use?
@misterkofa
junegemini.com

umit kivanç

PostThu Jan 09, 2014 3:10 am

In my case it is the LCD screen. You have to wait 30 sec to 2 min until it works. Some weird patterns in LCD too. Beside of this "everything" fine. I know at least ona case with the same defect, another case with many death pixels which are getting more every day and a case where the Iris and Focus buttons were in the wrong places. I've read many other issues too. In general I have respect for the Blackmagic and I'm very happy with the results I have with BMPCC, but so many defected products in such a short period?! It must be a problem there. Maybe they in such a hurry that there is no quality control at all. (My camera is now on the way to the shop I've buyed it; will see how long I'll wait.)

Mikael Johansson

PostThu Jan 09, 2014 3:23 am

misterkofa wrote:Wow that sucks man. Nothing like the feeling of opening a new toy and it doesn't work properly. That's the main reason I usually try to buy things locally cause I can quickly exchange. Hang in there man, it's not the norm for sure.

It's interesting though how we (myself included) run to deliver bad news. But how many people went through the trouble of creating an account on the BMD forum to say how much they loved their camera after first use?

When I am happy with a product, I spread that too but I am just as quick to tell other users/buyers if there is a problem, especially when it comes to a product line as expensive as film cameras.
Am I pissed? Yes I am pissed. I ordered a camera that never came (and believe me, the guys att the store are NOT fond of BMD 's nonchalance with info) and when I buy the next best product from them, it's unusable. I don't mean that it's difficult to use, it just flickers Frome screen to screen and gets progressively worse. The delay I get from sending it in for repair isn' t worth it, back to dslr as backup camera, I'm getting my money back.

Theodore Prentice

PostThu Jan 09, 2014 3:55 am

misterkofa wrote:
It's interesting though how we (myself included) run to deliver bad news.

"We"?
Sorry man, but I never ran on here complaining about the issue I had with my camera new out of the box, only ever commented on it after others stated issues out of the box.

There have been plenty of "feel good" threads started by people to say how happy they were/are with their cam.

In fact, it seems, there is always someone chiming in about their good experience when someone tries to post about their bad experience... Just like in this thread...ever notice that?

Jason R. Johnston

PostThu Jan 09, 2014 7:55 am

I love all you "feel bad" posters.

Anyway, I've not had a problem with my BMCC 2.5K EF since receiving within two days after order. It's also paid for itself a few times over and my clients are all very happy with the work I've done with it. Of course, I've had clients quite happy with the projects I've shot on my T2i. I guess it's the operator, not the camera. Oh, well. /feelgoodhighjack
JASONRJOHNSTON.COM | CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR | COLORIST
RED Komodo | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 | 2023 MacBook M2 Pro 14

Mikael Johansson

PostThu Jan 09, 2014 12:43 pm

Jason R. Johnston wrote:I love all you "feel bad" posters.

Anyway, I've not had a problem with my BMCC 2.5K EF since receiving within two days after order. It's also paid for itself a few times over and my clients are all very happy with the work I've done with it. Of course, I've had clients quite happy with the projects I've shot on my T2i. I guess it's the operator, not the camera. Oh, well. /feelgoodhighjack

Normally I wouldn't answer a post like this but your last comment about a broken touch screen (the only way to operate the camera) being the operators fault is just insane. How happy would your clients be if you had started a job just to cancel it because your equipment didn't work.
READ the post, I didn't complain about a WORKING camera, I complained about a BROKEN camera so don't compare my experience with yours.
Being without a camera while it's away for repairs is not an option for me and since they don't want to replace it, it gave it back.
Last edited by Mikael Johansson on Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alexander Arndt

PostThu Jan 09, 2014 2:24 pm

I preordered the 4k but got tired of waiting for it so i bought a sony f700 but I decided to get a BMCC 2.5k as a spare flight camera for aerial filming. Got home, started the camera and the touchscreen is living a life on its own, completely useless. So, reuturning the camera and probably have to wait several weeks while it gets sent for "controll"
How is it that a brand new, relatively expensive out of the packet camera has a flaw like that? Quality controll? :evil:

anybody could move these complaints out of the cinematography forum?

Mikael Johansson

PostThu Jan 09, 2014 7:56 pm

Alexander wrote:

anybody could move these complaints out of the cinematography forum?

And place it where? What forum does it fit in? I put it here in the BM forum so that it is viewable by people that may have the same issues. I didn't place it on facebook or make a youtube rant spreading my bad experience with BM so far.
Delete it by all means admin, seems it irritates some forum readers that the BM cameras aren't allways fault free. Didn't know the forum only was for praise and worship. Don't worry, last post from me since I got my money back and invested it in other gear and am no longer a BMC owner. Now get back to your happy happy thoughts and drift away from the evil doers. :roll:

umit kivanç

PostFri Jan 10, 2014 12:20 am

Jason R. Johnston wrote:I love all you "feel bad" posters.

I didn't understood and will never understand this kind of behaviour. And I don't want to see messages like this in a forum where I am seeking for help. I am writing here because I hope that even people from Blackmagic will read and know about our problems. We -yes, many people- have buyed our cameras with respect to the brand and these cameras were faulty, defected or... they didn't worked as supposed to be. And what we -yes, again- did was only to send the cameras back and wanted them repaired or changed etc. It is of course right to write these all here. And if you have no problems it's o.k., you're a lucky guy. Try a little to understand other's feelings or better, don't waste your time with our problems, take your camera, go away and do what you want and let us alone while we are waiting for our working cameras.

Return to Off-Topic