Resolve 9 - Dual-card setup

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Roman Medvid

Resolve 9 - Dual-card setup

PostSat Sep 22, 2012 9:43 pm

Hi all,

I'm rather new to Resolve and was trying to prepare for the new BMCC in the best possible way.

I used to have the only card NVIDIA GTX 470 -- Resolve 9 was giving me the message about only one card found, but it worked, showing 10-20 FPS when playing video -- not bad.

After reading the Resolve Guide I bought another card -- Quadro 600 and installed it into my PC. With 2 cards Resolve gives me no waring -- but the speed at playback is 3-4 FPS :shock:

Where did I go wrong? Thanx in advance for any info.

Some tech specs: I have Asus P8P67 LE motherboard + i7-2600 processor.
Video cards: NVIDIA GTX 470 + Quadro 600
Two monitors: used to be connected both to GTX 470, now how do I connect them between the 2 video cards?

Eric Santiago

Re: Resolve 9 - Dual-card setup

PostSun Sep 23, 2012 7:53 am

A true GPU would not be used as a display card.
The term is GUI for the lower end card and GPU for the GTX.
Probably why you got no card showing at first since you were using the GTX as a GUI card.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Sep 24, 2012 5:21 pm

A couple of things.

The Quadro 600 is a recommended GUI card for a Windows Resolve platform.

You only want displays connected to the Quadro 600 card. You do not want anything connected to the GTX470. So connect your 2 displays to the Quadro 600.

Check in Resolve Preferences, System Overview to ensure that the Quadro 600 is being used as the GUI card, and that the GTX470 is only a GPU card.

Resolve requires all the graphics cards to be in x16 PCIE slots. Your motherboard does not support that. This could cause performance issues for you.

A few things that may help (if moving the displays off the GTX470 card did not help):
In Program Settings / Master Project Settings / Video Monitoring, enable the "Use optimized display mode during playback" check box, and select 8 Bit, on the Video Bit Depth drop down menu.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Roman Medvid

PostMon Sep 24, 2012 6:30 pm

Dear Mr Maggart,

Thanks for your advice. It did work. I'm happy :D

Although it is not transparent to me how to change the usage of video cards by Resolve. In the System Overview it just states which card is used for what, without an option to modify.

Anyway, rebooting the system with my GTX card disconnected from monitors helps in my case.

Thanks again.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 26, 2012 5:35 pm

When there are multiple graphics cards, Resolve will assume a card with a display connected is a GUI card, and will not use it as a GPU card.
Dwaine Maggart

maheelrp

PostThu Sep 27, 2012 3:45 am

Hi Medvid,

How is the performance now?

Could you pl inform the specs of your workstation.

Roman Medvid

PostSat Oct 20, 2012 7:02 pm

maheelrp wrote:Hi Medvid,

How is the performance now?

Hi maheelrp,

Now performance is much better )) Basically I can have real playback 24 FPS in Resolve with the RAW footage from BMCC while having 4-5 nodes applied to clips.

My comp specs are:

i7-2600
16MB RAM
SSD (system), 1T+1T RAID as the main data container + 1T HD for output and auxiliary files.
ZOTAC 470 GTX + Quadro 600 graphic cards

Ask if you need more info.

Thanks

Jesuan Soriano

PostSat Oct 20, 2012 7:21 pm

16 MB Ram??? you must have like 1 fphour. :D

Nice to hear your configurations playsback realtime in a relatively cheap price.

Jesus.
Jesus Soriano

Roman Medvid

PostSat Oct 20, 2012 7:37 pm

Thank you, Jesus

Jesuan Soriano

PostSat Oct 20, 2012 10:07 pm

you're wellcome.... i'm waiting to upgrade my computer and i see there is no need to spend loads of money to playback in real tiime :D
Jesus Soriano

sgierth

PostMon Oct 22, 2012 8:42 am

Hi Dwaine,

my current system runs one single Nvidia 580 GTX card as recommended per the "single GPU" system description.

Since I got no more available PCIe slots - the other is used by an PCIe SSD card - I would like to know if Resolve could use a system integrated graphics port as "GUI" port.

So that the 580 GTX can be used by Resolve as GPU card only.

Thanks and regards,
Sebastian-Alex.

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Oct 22, 2012 7:35 pm

The integrated graphics card is not likely to be powerful enough to do anything. It's hard to tell without knowing more about your system. But you could potentially upgrade to a 690 card which is a dual core and should be seen by the system as two cards which might get you where you need to be.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Razor

PostWed Oct 24, 2012 1:10 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:The Quadro 600 is a recommended GUI card for a Windows Resolve platform. You only want displays connected to the Quadro 600 card.

Is the Quadro 600 just being recommended as a minimum card? If you have 3 monitors (like I do) can't you just use two GTX 680's? One for the GUI + displays, and the other as a headless GPU? Also is the Resolve Lite version still limited to recognizing only one video card?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 24, 2012 5:15 pm

Except of in the case of only using a single graphics card, any graphics card that you have a display connected to will NOT be used as a GPU card by Resolve. So if you use 2 GTX680 cards, and have any displays connected to one of them, that card is not used at all for GPU acceleration. That would be sort of wasting the capabilities of such a card.

Resolve Lite is limited to using only one GPU card. You can still use a second graphics card for the GUI display.
Dwaine Maggart

sean mclennan

PostWed Oct 24, 2012 7:26 pm

So you could run both your monitors off of one GTX680 and use the other one for GUI then?

I imagine they can't be SLI'ed together either then right?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 24, 2012 8:39 pm

Resolve does not support SLI.

You can connect your monitors to one GTX680, and that would be the GUI card. The other GTX680 with nothing connected would be the GPU card.

Resolve 9 has very good performance using a single graphics card, as long as you have the Project Settings / Master Project Settings / Video Monitoring "Use optimized display mode during playback" setting checked. Adding the second GTX680 for the displays would not gain you much additional performance, and would be a waste of the card, basically. Plus, you would generally need a PCIE expansion chassis to install 2 such graphics cards. Using a single GTX680 would be a good option.
Dwaine Maggart

Return to Post Production