A big THANK YOU to BMD

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

IanB

A big THANK YOU to BMD

PostTue Oct 23, 2012 2:38 pm

BMD,
I am not your typical customer for Resolve 9 traditionally. I do not have a post production facility, or a big budget, or even big subjects to shoot. I primarily shoot my kids at the zoo, having their birthday party, and playing in the pool. However, mundane these subjects and films seem to others, they are very important to me. I have been involved with this revolution in cinema since using DOF Adapters on an HV20 and old canon FD glass. I have since then upgraded my audio kit, to Scheops, Sound Devices, and my video to a GH1 outfit with adapter glass. I consider myself a serious amateur who is going for the top of the line when I can, and getting the best band for the buck when I don't think the top of the line is required. I read Eugenia's forum back in 2008 when she was doing color grades of her own video work, and when Magic Bullet Looks was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Blah Blah Blah...

The biggest advancement in "affordable" cinema I have seen since the GH1 (and lets face it, the cycle for camera and equipment technology has advanced hyper fast) is the release of the BMCC and the 100% awesome release of the Davinci Resolve 9 Lite toolset (FOR FREE!!). Honestly, you should be charging 50-100 bucks for the light version and restricting it to two color nodes and doing a whole bunch of other crap that makes it hard to use the Lite version. AND YOU AREN'T, so I have committed myself to learning it, just like I committed to learning the other tools I use for my kids swinging on a swing and splashing each other in the pool.

I am finishing my first project with DR9L and it is freaking amazing. I now fully understand why there is a tool like DR9. This tool is fantastic, the control to almost photo-shop your video with the power windows, color tweak every inch of frame, and/or have tracking on faces, or moving objects (in my case a Giraffe's face) is AMAZING. I LOVE IT.

Thank You for making this tool Free (although I would pay for it) and thank you for showing me why the BMCC (and other similar camera's) need a software tool like this because you really can't be on the cutting edge (right now) without this tool. I am still learning how to use DR9L but when I can invest in a camera again (about every 4 - 6 years) I will be investing in a tool that will pair with the software from Black Magic Design - Divinci Resolve. What that software lets you do in terms of painting a scene in post is just astonishing to me at the 'consumer' level.

Me and my family thank you for this software.
Ian

Christine Peterson

Re: A big THANK YOU to BMD

PostWed Oct 24, 2012 7:04 pm

This is awesome, Ian! As someone who recently joined the Blackmagic team, I know this is why they got into this business - to make awesome products available and affordable for customers like you, and it's part of why I'm so excited that I can now be a part of it.

You should post some pics, if you can!
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

rick.lang

PostWed Oct 24, 2012 11:57 pm

IanB wrote:I am still learning how to use DR9L but when I can invest in a camera again (about every 4 - 6 years) I will be investing in a tool that will pair with the software from Black Magic Design.

Me and my family thank you for this software.
Ian

Let me suggest the best and most appropriate tool for you to pair with the software:
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/product ... emacamera/
Rick Lang

IanB

PostThu Oct 25, 2012 1:24 pm

Christine,
Thanks for the kind words, and I am glad you have joined such a successful team. I will upload some examples when I have the the latest trip to the zoo completed, I have spent about 20 hours in resolve grading, stabilizing (all shot hand-held Dad Style) and I am finally ready to edit the .mov 444 exports now from Resolve (finished last night). I will post here when I get something completed for sure.

Rick,
Right now, I would agree that the BMCC is the only camera that can take advantage of this software. I think also the FS700 is very attractive too. However, speaking from the BMC side of things, there are so few RAW DNG sequence examples available to download, I am hoping to get my hands on some more soon. I was given some footage that was shot pro-res, and I am sure a better color person could do more with it, but here is my grade for a some girls flashing back to a night they spent in las vegas. I would normally expect some type of voice-over to be happening in this scene, as it was shot 30p then slowed down to 24p, and I have tinted it pretty aggressively to show that memories are always tinted with exaggerated moments and color (I know my own memories are!). One last thing, no production audio was provided, so the background audio is just that...background!

Password: bmclowlight

Dan's Original Grade (a long clip, so you will need to look for the Car Scene) -
http://dankanesbmcc.blogspot.com/2012/1 ... vegas.html

rick.lang

PostThu Oct 25, 2012 6:06 pm

Some interesting work there. Hope, like me, you'll be able to pick up the BMCC in 2013. I need budget for it as I'm also considering the 2013 release of the Mac Pro to pair with it. Nice that the full version of Resolve is included with the BMCC. But I'm also thinking about Revival as I have some old (1970s, 80s) 16mm footage to convert to digital. So in my mind I think BMD's approach on releasing Resolve Lite for free is a win-win: you win up front by a no-cost introduction to the world according to BMD; they win because their generosity helps them win customer loyalty and be able to offer additional products to those grateful customers. I admire their business model to appeal to both professionals and enthusiasts.
Rick Lang

IanB

PostThu Oct 25, 2012 6:15 pm

rick.lang wrote: I'm also thinking about Revival as I have some old (1970s, 80s) 16mm footage to convert to digital.

I think there are some options in resolve for film restoration, take a look on youtube for Resolve 8.2 walk-throughs, and I am pretty sure there are settings for restoring film. Maybe not as great as revive, but still something to play with (for free) while you wait for your camera right?

Also, thanks for taking a look at the re-graded stuff.

Ian

Return to Post Production