Resolve Workflow

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Shaheryar Ahmed

Resolve Workflow

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 7:38 am

Hey all... Its like my wish has come true. A dedicated Blackmagic forum. I have a question regarding Davinci Resolve. I have Resolve Lite 8 on Windows 7. I edit on Premiere CS5 but soon will upgrade to CS6. In my worklfow after effects play a vital role for denoising and titling etc. So I just want to know how I can I follow a workflow because right now I am having problems. This is my workflow.

- Transcode the footage to DNxHD 175. Do all the edit until the picture is locked.
- Take the picture in After Effects where I start denoising. I denoise and export 16bit Tiff Sequence. (Should I do a Tiff or DPX?)
- I take the Sequence in Davinci Resolve where I also import an edl. But somehow the sequence is just one large clip. Now either I do a scene detection on my project. Is there a way to get independent shots to grade. Even stills. I can group or join stills in Davinci. Is there any other better workflow? When I am done grading I export a DPX sequence and take that back in premiere where I do all the tranisitions and add the sound which is all done in some DAW. I might take that back in After Effects where I might do some compositing and titling. Then I can export my masters and deliverables.

Zachary Marsh

Re: Resolve Workflow

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 7:59 am

Have you tried making an XML instead? Also, have you tried Davinci Lite 9?

Dan Moran

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 8:29 am

A really quick and easy workflow for you would be to :

Render out your sequence as one flat video.
Export an EDL from your NLE software.
Import your video render from your NLE on the Media page.
Go to the conform page and in the top left corner right click / cmd click and select Import -> Pre-conformed EDL.

This will use your existing EDL to cut up the flat video track. It's frame accurate and takes seconds!

I use this all the time when working on music videos as we normally have a very tight turn around time and its the most efficient way to cut up flat renders.

Hope this helps!

D
Dan Moran
Colourist
Smoke & Mirrors: London
www.smoke-mirrors.com
www.danmorancolor.com

Shaheryar Ahmed

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 9:51 am

Isnt DPX better than any video format that I could use? I like the edl suggestion. Thank you. I like this worklfow much better.

Yeah XMLs would work... I could also do an AAF but the thing is that I have to take my project most of the time from After Effects rather than an NLE and After Effects does not have XMl, AAF or edl export.

Dan, I tried the DPX sequence from After Effects and took it in Resolve. I had exported an EDL from Premiere CS5. I imported the sequence and preconformed it with the EDL it still gave me one flat sequence. Why? What am I doing wrong. I am running Davinci Resolve Lite 8 with Adobe CS5 suit.
-SHAHERYAR AHMED-

Return to Post Production