ATEM Television Studio Min i Fly Case

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

randym

ATEM Television Studio Min i Fly Case

PostFri Feb 14, 2014 8:30 pm

Hey gang, I had just purchased the very cool ATEM Television Studio from Blackmagic.
Now, I would like to travel with this in a case that I can actual bring on as a carry-on.
The case would also hold a Berhinger Ultramatch Pro SRC2496, a flat screen monitor attached inside of the case.
I would need to produce and direct video productions, this case will hold my equipment, I would leave everything in the case and just plug in.

Is there a case out there that is available or are they easy to build?
Any advice and any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for your inputs.
Cheers

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

Re: ATEM Television Studio Min i Fly Case

PostSat Feb 15, 2014 12:38 am

i was put TVS + 22" IPS DELL monitor into flight case .. there are space for macbook too .. But Ultramatch is very big ..
http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

randym

PostSat Feb 15, 2014 10:32 pm

Thanks Plytkin I'll certainly check that out.

randym

PostMon Feb 17, 2014 1:31 pm

Does anyone else have any other thoughts?
Cheers

Torbjörn Lindström

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 8:10 am

Hi all!
Bumping this thread since I´m planning to build a setup with a ATEM television HD + Small audio mixer + monitor that all fits nicely in some sort of flightcase.
I would like the monitor to go into the lid of the case so it´s there the moment you open it up. Then the ATEM and the audio mixer goes in the bottom case part.
And of course something for power outlets, adapters and such.

Is there any ready made cases that would work for this or maybe some good DIY:s around, I would be greatful for any advice, pics and so on.
/T

MambaFiber.com

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 6:02 pm

putting your system into a flight case isn't a big deal-plenty of ready made case options out there. SKB, Gator, Star, Roadie, OSP, Haliburton, Zero and many others make many fine cases/racks suitable for travel. pick a size that suits your needs and build away. remember to leave inlet/outlet/space for airflow and add fans. connector panels are a nice touch and save wear and tear on the gear connections-easier to replace a panel connector than your whole switcher.

when transporting these things yourself, consider how far will they move, how many trips will you want to make. also how much you can lift onto a table, how many stairs you may go up/down, and if paying more for wheels on your cases is worth it (umm-YES it is!) There's plenty of pictures on the BlackMagic Design ATEM Users FB page if you need ideas/inspiration.

now *flying* with your case(s), or having it shipped by any freight vendor...requires much more thought.

from the original post years ago, let me say there isn't a rack case made that meets current carry-on size restrictions. 9x14x22 inches is all you get by the rules. even a shallow 2RU case is bigger than allowed. For a Pelican case the model 1510 is the current max carry on size. carry-on weight is a deal breaker on many airlines now as well, esp outside of the US where 15lb limits do exist.

going to checked luggage gives you many more case options but let me state 2 things. 1-its safe to assume your case WILL BE DROPPED at some point by the happy baggage guys. better use a tough case with GOOD internal shock mounts. 2-ALL airline contracts state they are NOT liable for ANY damage or loss to electronic equipment checked as baggage. maximum compensation *IF* they did is only about $1200/bag or $3400/person. feeling lucky? sorry not me...

shipping by freight company offers ability to move anything up to about 250lbs before you get complicated, and freight companies offer all kind of insurance against loss/damage. figure at least $1/lb + insurance in the US, and at least a week to move it. some freight companies are just as abusive as airline baggage handlers, so again make sure you are using good shock mount rack cases, and pelican type cases with firm foam/padding for the non-racked items.

as someone who often works out of town (as many 250 days in a year), and ships plenty of gear around the globe, let me say it is certainly something that can be accomplished. Just look out for yourself AND your gear first, no one else will...
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Torbjörn Lindström

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 1:13 pm

Thanks for your reply, MambaFiber!
I´ll most certainly look into your suggestions.
Note: this setup will probably not fly that much but mostly be transferred by car, train or by freght.
Cheers!
/T

Return to Live Production