My New LUTs for BM4KFilm and BMDFilm + Extras

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

My New LUTs for BM4KFilm and BMDFilm + Extras

PostTue Mar 04, 2014 11:38 am

Hey guys,

I'm finally sharing my new LUTs i made for the Blackmagic 4K camera that have also been 'adapted' to work for the BMCC and Pocket Camera to be used inside of Resolve.

http://www.captainhook.co.nz/LUT_Hook_Mar2014/Hooks LUTs - Free.zip

Inside there's an installer for OSX that places them in the correct location, or for windows/linux users a folder with the .cube files to manually place in the correct location. The easiest way to do this manually is inside resolve in the project settings tab, go to the "Lookup Tables" tab and choose "Open LUT Folder" and copy the files to that location. Then choose "Update Lists".

I've also got some "gifts" for those who find these useful and would like to donate $10USD, in the form of a few "utility" powergrades (plus an 'experimental' LUT i've been working on to deal with IR contamination in Blackmagic footage) that i often use and are detailed further below. To Donate and get them, click here:

These were a long time in the making, and i would like to thank those who helped test and give me feedback while working on them!

I created these LUTs a little differently this time. The basis for these LUTs were created in the wonderful software "3D Lut Creator" by Oleg Sharonov. If you haven't heard of it, it's a very unique approach to creating LUTs that primarily uses a grid/mesh for mapping hue/saturation/luminance. It's still pretty new, but a really great visual way to approach colour correction. Check it out by visiting the Facebook page here (Official Site still coming):

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3dlutcreator/

After creating the initial 64^3 LUT in the OSX version of this app, i took it into Resolve and did further tweaking before and after the 'base' LUT to create the final versions.

There's two versions of each LUT this time. One is named 'BASIC'. This has the 3D Lut Creator LUT performing all the colour adjustments, but the official BMD LUTs (either the 4K version or BMDFilm version) for luminance. The luminance curves i did inside 3D Lut Creator were actually quite similar, but i decided that since the goal of the 'BASIC' LUTs were to give a very basic starting place to begin your grade, the official BMD LUT luminance curves were a better starting point.

The 'VIBE' version of the LUTs use the same 3D Lut Creator LUT at the 'heart', but use my own luminance curves and has other colour/saturation/etc adjustments on top. The purpose of this LUT is like my first one, to get a starting point for grading that is generally pleasing to me but as with the first one, it doesn't remove the need for grading but rather is to help speed up the grading process. I still recommend "prepping the image" for each clip prior to the LUT by adjusting WB and contrast/saturation to get the best from it, and making other adjustments post-LUT if it works for what you're trying to achieve. Keying for example tends to work better after the LUT node, but sometimes adding/removing saturation/contrast/etc after the LUT can produce more desirable results also.

My recommended workflow is to have 3 nodes for organisation, node #1 is for pre-LUT adjustments, node #2 contains the LUT, node #3 for post adjustments. Obviously this can be modified to preference, but for those newer to grading and looking to incorporate these LUTs i recommend starting there. I also detail further below how i approach WB/Tint for non-RAW material using a powergrade contained in the 'donation pack'.

Here's some examples of the various LUTs (i apologise for the image spam):

Blackmagic 4K

Blackmagic 4K - Flat (Straight from Cam)

Blackmagic 4K - BM4KFilm 'VIBE' LUT

Blackmagic 4K - Flat

Blackmagic 4K - BM4KFilm 'BASIC' LUT

Blackmagic 4K - Flat

Blackmagic 4K - Flat (jpg shared by Kholi)

Blackmagic 4K - BM4KFilm 'VIBE' LUT (applied to jpg shared by Kholi)

Blackmagic 4K - Flat (jpg shared by Kholi)

Blackmagic 4K - BM4KFilm 'VIBE' LUT (applied to jpg shared by Kholi)

Blackmagic Cinema Camera and Pocket Cam

BMDFilm - Flat

BMDFilm - BMDFilm 'VIBE' LUT + 20% IR cut LUT from 'donation pack'

BMDFilm - Flat

BMDFilm - Flat

BMDFilm - Flat

BMDFilm - Flat (image by 4saken)

BMDFilm - BMDFilm 'VIBE' LUT (image by 4saken)

So here are some examples of using some of the powergrades that come with the 'donators pack'.

First is the set of WB "tools" i made for non-RAW images. These are a group of 4 nodes which all default to having the gain output in the "key" tab set to '0', in other words they have no effect on the image by default. These are intended to be used before any saturation is applied, or any LUTs etc. They're the first nodes of your node tree. The 4 nodes each push the image along one of 4 axis using curves, either towards cooler (2850K) or warmer (5500K) like a traditional WB slider, or towards green or magenta like a traditional "Tint" slider. I originally tried doing this via the RGB Mixer which i believe is the more "accurate" method, but i found it didn't match up very well to using the WB sliders of the RAW tab when adjusting Blackmagic RAW images. So these curves were made to more closely match those two sliders (or as close as i got them at the time). Also included is a "WB Tools + LUT Setup" powergrade. I use this a lot to setup my node tree, the LUT node has nothing applied, it's simply a holding place for me to choose the LUT i want to use. I also adjust curves/LGG/saturation/etc in this node as those operations are applied before the LUT in the same node within Resolve.

On to examples of using the WB tools:

BMDFilm - BMDFilm 'VIBE' LUT (image by 4saken) - As Shot - Clearly the WB is too "cool".

BMDFilm - BMDFilm 'VIBE' LUT and WB Tools (image by 4saken) - Here i've used my 5500K node and adjusted the gain output in the "key" tab to 1 (or 100% or "full"). I think i could actually duplicate this node and add a smaller amount again to the adjustment, but i think it shows just how far non-RAW footage can be pushed even when the WB is so far off.

BMDFilm - BMDFilm 'BASIC' LUT (image by 4saken) - As Shot - Clearly the WB is too "warm".

BMDFilm - BMDFilm 'BASIC' LUT and WB Tools (image by 4saken) - Adjusting for an image shot in Tungsten and mixed lighting can be trickier. Here i used a combination of my 2850K node at 60% (0.6) to cool off the image, and then a overall Hue rotation just before the LUT.

And here's some examples using the other powergrades and LUTs on a frame from the 4K camera. These might be subtle in these small frames, so i recommend clicking on the images for the larger versions and comparing the images "stacked" in photoshop or similar to compare more easily.

Blackmagic 4K - Flat

Blackmagic 4K - BM4KFilm 'VIBE' LUT + Skin Map Powergrade.

This powergrade is based off a technique i used to do when retouching high-end beauty/fashion images. In photoshop one of the methods i used to reduce skin colour variation (something done very often with digital beauty images as film didn't tend to show so much colour variation) was to make a gradient map using a 'skin tone' colour in the middle, mask the area of the skin i wanted to apply it to, and lower the opacity to around 20%. The powergrade defaults to 20% also (0.2 in output gain) which you can adjust in the "Blend %" node. You can also adjust the skin key or tone nodes as desired.

Another thing i often did with fashion images was to desaturate using the blue channel. Because it also affects tone particularly skin, it was often a nice way to add density to skin and desaturate other parts of the image by varying amounts. This defaults to around 18% (0.18) in output gain. There's also 2 other powergrades that desaturate and saturate using luma vs sat curves that i often use as a starting point.

This one is my node tree that i start with for sharpening inside Resolve. It splits Chroma and Luma via the old method in Resolve 9, and applies sharpening to the luma only, but also restricted by a luma key that keeps the sharpening fixed more to brighter parts of the image, and leaves darker shadows areas that tend to have more noise alone so as to not exaggerate noise/grain (i do the opposite with NR and adding film grain scans by restricting them more to shadows than highlights).

Here's the result of my 'diffusion' node tree i currently use. Again, the amount can be easily blended in the appropriately named node, or settings in the "mist" node adjusted. This powergrade adds a bit of density at the same time, but i like the effect.

And finally, here's my experimental and VERY preliminary LUT to try address IR pollution on the Blackmagic cameras if not using a good ND/IR Cut like the new Hoya PROND's (see links below for Hoya comparisons to Tiffen IRNDs). I've found for Tiffen IRNDs on my Blackmagic footage, this LUT can help when used with a low output gain (as shown further above in some examples). Here the problem is shown extreme by using a 1.2ND Tiffen filter with NO IR Cut filter, and then after with my LUT set to 100% or "1" in the output gain. It's very important that this LUT is in the first node before ANY other corrections.

Blackmagic 4K - BM4KFilm 'VIBE' LUT - As Shot with NO IR Cut filter.

Blackmagic 4K - BM4KFilm 'VIBE' LUT + IR CUTTER LUT from the donators pack set to full/100%/"1". Not perfect, but a lot better starting place for grading than the before!! Obviously trying to solve this in post is far from ideal and is much better addressed by filtering, but i've found it useful all the same for certain footage i've shot, or supplied to me for grading.

Follow these links to see examples comparing the Hoya PRONDs to various Tiffen IRNDs:

Pocket Cam - http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?6403-New-Hoya-ProNDs-Rolling-Report-Thread&p=97497&viewfull=1#post97497
4K Camera - http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?6403-New-Hoya-ProNDs-Rolling-Report-Thread&p=108645&viewfull=1#post108645

Thanks again for the kind words and encouragement over the last (almost) year since releasing my first LUT, hope some of you find these ones just as useful! :)
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Gary Cook

Re: My New LUTs for BM4KFilm and BMDFilm + Extras

PostTue Mar 04, 2014 11:59 am

Donated & Delighted.

Thanks!

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Mar 04, 2014 12:10 pm

Thank you!
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Jared Caldwell

PostTue Mar 04, 2014 1:34 pm

Great post to read while I'm stuck in jury duty. I'll be donating after I get out of here!

Thanks for all of the effort. I've just started to play with your original LUT, and I've been incredibly impressed.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Mar 04, 2014 1:38 pm

Thanks Jared!

Aaron Green

PostTue Mar 04, 2014 2:09 pm

Thanks! Stoked to use these on my new DP7 Pro.

Dave Perry

PostTue Mar 04, 2014 4:29 pm

Wow! This is great! Just in time to start using with the BMPC 4K. Thanks for sharing your hard work.
BMUM 4.6k PL, S1H
----------------------------------------------
Dave Perry Cinematographer LLC
Director of Photography • Camera Operator
2046 High Tower Dr. Unit 1
Hollywood USA 90068
daveperry.net

mandrade

PostTue Mar 04, 2014 5:25 pm

Done and done. Thanks!
Mike A

Kofa

PostTue Mar 04, 2014 6:43 pm

nice. and donated!
@misterkofa
junegemini.com

João Gomes

PostTue Mar 04, 2014 7:55 pm

Great job! I've already donated. Really eagger to get my hands on that IR Cut LUT you're working on. Looks good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cameraman/Editor

Jonny G.

PostTue Mar 04, 2014 8:10 pm

Thanks a lot for this!

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Mar 04, 2014 8:25 pm

Thanks guys!!

Manu Gil

PostTue Mar 04, 2014 10:17 pm

Great job.

Ian Cresswell

PostTue Mar 04, 2014 10:31 pm

Very cool. Thanks, Cap!

dharmaone

PostTue Mar 04, 2014 11:26 pm

donated. thanks for your work so far. That WB correction is just what I needed

João Gomes

PostWed Mar 05, 2014 12:02 am

Do you use the powergrades supplied with the donation pack on the first node, i mean, before any further corrections?

Thanks again!
Cameraman/Editor

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Mar 05, 2014 1:16 am

Cheers all!

@João - the WB Tools i tend to use first before the LUT or any other saturation/LGG/exposure adjustments, but other stuff mostly after the LUT. But experiment with order of operations and find out what you like - what may work for one clip may not work for another. :)

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Mar 05, 2014 4:50 am

Couple of frames posted by other users so far, please post if you have any to share. :)

From Note:

From Vic:

Scott Pultz

PostWed Mar 05, 2014 6:26 am

Is the VIBE lut for the 4K supposed to be more vibrant than the basic one? I'm finding the opposite to be true.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Mar 05, 2014 6:31 am

No.. the vibe is more for getting an instant 'vibe' or 'mojo' from your footage straight out of the box. It's not trying to be clean or accurate, just pleasing to my aesthetic. 'Basic' is more for a good starting point to begin your grade and create your own vibe (if going for that), or whatever you want to do from there. Does that make sense?

Graham Parker

PostWed Mar 05, 2014 6:35 am

Downloading & Donating :) Thank you CaptainHook!
http://levelup.geek.nz/ - Rental Gear for New Zealand

timbutt2

PostWed Mar 05, 2014 7:29 am

Thanks Captain! Donated and downloaded. I look forward to testing these out. Keep up the awesome work.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Mar 05, 2014 9:25 am

Thanks, the donations and comments/support is really appreciated!

Brian Slayton

PostWed Mar 05, 2014 4:29 pm

Best $10 I have spent in a while! Thanks for your work on the LUTs and Powergrades. :D

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Mar 05, 2014 10:55 pm

Thanks mate! Today's my birthday so i'm pretending any donations today are birthday gifts. :D

Donnell Henry

PostWed Mar 05, 2014 11:43 pm

Awesome mine was march 1st.... pisces in the house!
I'll be using your LUT to help me grade my movie.
I donated on your first LUT and i'll also support this one as well happy birthday

WATCH THE TEASER ON KICKSTARTER

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/se ... s/vesuvius
GODS CREATE

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Mar 05, 2014 11:49 pm

Thank you!

Shawn Miller

PostThu Mar 06, 2014 3:49 am

Solid work, sir. That's $10 USD well spent. :-)

Shawn
Corporate Video Producer | Independent Filmmaker | Editor | VFX Generalist

Jules Bushell

PostThu Mar 06, 2014 12:40 pm

Thanks CaptainHook, I just donated.
I've got a big, daunting, pile to grade, so all good timing too.

Are there any extra tips with Cineform filmscan 2 footage (came from BMCC DNGs) when using your LUTs?

Cheers,
Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 06, 2014 12:46 pm

Cheers!
Sorry i haven't used Cineform - if you want to send me some cineform frames i'll check them out.

Jules Bushell

PostThu Mar 06, 2014 1:48 pm

CaptainHook wrote:Cheers!
Sorry i haven't used Cineform - if you want to send me some cineform frames i'll check them out.

Thanks, I've PMed you a couple of frames.

Cheers,
Jules
Jules Bushell

Mark Jamerson

PostThu Mar 06, 2014 3:22 pm

Awesome. Well worth the $10 dollars
Mark Jamerson
Jamerson Studios

Taj Jackson

PostThu Mar 06, 2014 5:00 pm

Donated as well. Loved your previous LUT. This was a no-brainer. Happy Belated Birthday!

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 06, 2014 8:36 pm

You guys are the best!

Vince Gaffney

PostThu Mar 06, 2014 8:42 pm

CaptainHook wrote:You guys are the best!

These are great. Thanks.

Will Tejeda

PostFri Mar 07, 2014 6:15 pm

The white balance power grade is a must have for quick prores balancing since the bmd cams lack interval wb settings !

you rock !
Will Tejeda
DP/Cinematographer

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Mar 07, 2014 9:29 pm

Thanks Elias!

Will Tejeda

PostSat Mar 08, 2014 3:54 am

Some of my own test subjects :)
Attachments
Formento 25_1.149.1 -  Web.jpg
Formento 25_1.149.1 - Web.jpg (379.65 KiB) Viewed 54720 times
Formento 24_1.450.1 -  Web.jpg
Formento 24_1.450.1 - Web.jpg (215.83 KiB) Viewed 54720 times
Formento 23_1.387.1 -  Web.jpg
Formento 23_1.387.1 - Web.jpg (367.67 KiB) Viewed 54720 times
Will Tejeda
DP/Cinematographer

Will Tejeda

PostSat Mar 08, 2014 3:56 am

some more
Attachments
Formento 19_I.328.1 -  Web.jpg
Formento 19_I.328.1 - Web.jpg (273.45 KiB) Viewed 54720 times
Formento 18_1.280.1 -  Web.jpg
Formento 18_1.280.1 - Web.jpg (406.23 KiB) Viewed 54720 times
Formento 17_1.90.1 -  Web.jpg
Formento 17_1.90.1 - Web.jpg (433.76 KiB) Viewed 54720 times
Will Tejeda
DP/Cinematographer

Will Tejeda

PostSat Mar 08, 2014 3:58 am

All shot in Prores film mode on a BMCC 2.5k + Sigma 18-35mm 1.8
Will Tejeda
DP/Cinematographer

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Mar 10, 2014 8:01 am

Looking cool, thanks for sharing Elias!

Kyle Gordon

PostMon Mar 10, 2014 2:25 pm

Hey Elias, did you use any filters, for diffusion or something maybe?
Kyle Gordon
Professional Singer/Composer/Producer and Director/Editor/Colorist

Will Tejeda

PostMon Mar 10, 2014 10:18 pm

CaptainHook wrote:Looking cool, thanks for sharing Elias!

Anytime :)
Will Tejeda
DP/Cinematographer

Will Tejeda

PostMon Mar 10, 2014 10:19 pm

NYCcomposer wrote:Hey Elias, did you use any filters, for diffusion or something maybe?

nope, all "natural" light and no diffusion/filters

most of the lighting was tungsten as it was shot in a hotel
Will Tejeda
DP/Cinematographer

Jules Bushell

PostMon Mar 10, 2014 11:09 pm

Thanks CaptainHook for the Powergrades. Will certainly help the rather random approach I have to grading to be more structured and consistent.

Cheers,
Jules
Jules Bushell

sean mclennan

PostTue Mar 11, 2014 12:36 am

Hey Captain, I donated last week but haven't received these "gifts" you speak of, how do I get them?

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Mar 11, 2014 12:58 am

Hey Sean, give me an email (easily found on my website etc) and i'll sort you out. You should have automatically received a download link like others, but may have ended up in junk mail etc and the link would be expired now anyway. I'll send you a new one when i get your email. :)

Will Tejeda

PostTue Mar 11, 2014 1:06 am

yea, i think i ended up in my junk folder as well, when it got sent
Will Tejeda
DP/Cinematographer

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Mar 11, 2014 3:37 am

Yeah it can happen. Sean is all sorted now though. :)

James Boyle

PostFri Mar 14, 2014 4:34 pm

Great work on the LUT's Captain. $10, well worth it.

edit: images removed
Last edited by James Boyle on Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Next

Return to Cinematography