Getting Mac into HDMI in SD

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

DrunkenEditor

Getting Mac into HDMI in SD

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 12:17 pm

Currently I am using the 1M/E to film community sports in SD SDI (720x576i) with the idea that we will be livestreaming them as soon as we get a venue with decent internet. However, I cannot seem to get the Mac to talk to the ATEM, with standard settings (Lion & Mountain Lion) via 4 different brands of displayport to HDMI leads. I have even downloaded various apps that don't help.

Recently streamed a gaming conference, and was able to get a PC to be recognised (forced the refresh rate to 25mhz) but having no luck with the Macs. HDMI via the intensity card playout in a Mac Pro was OK, but doesn't suit my workflow.

Has anyone had any luck with getting macs to talk to the ATEM in PAL SD?

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

Re: Getting Mac into HDMI in SD

PostThu Aug 23, 2012 9:45 pm

Sorry, I'm a little unclear here.

Are you trying to use the to be used as a source for the ATEM 1ME? From your post I was first thinking you were trying to get the Mac to receive the program signal from the ATEM 1ME, which would require a capture board of some sort.

What type of Mac are you trying to use as a source? At that resolution you'd either need to setup cloning (though your desktop would have a really low resolution) or you'd need to setup a secondary monitor at that resolution.

BTW, 25hz would be correct for SD at 576i50.

What are you outputting to the ATEM?

Maybe a little more info would help here.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

rafaelamersfoort

PostSun Aug 26, 2012 3:52 pm

I just received an BMD Television Studio and tried to get some output. (i'm not experienced with video-editing en whatever way, but very experienced in Mac OS X)

I connected the BMD TVS to the MiniDisplay Port to create a secondary display. My MacBook didn't recognize it as a display so i couldn't use it for any output. We want to use the TVS in combination with ProPresenter so we can add lyrics to live video and so we can use different camera's in our church to present, without delay and without using the computer as processing unit.

What do we need to do to get the TVS as a secondary display connected directly to a Mac with MDP?

Liam Kennedy

PostSun Aug 26, 2012 5:51 pm

You have to match the display settings of the "secondary display" on the Mac to the precise settings the ATEM is running in. It likely will not automatically set itself up correctly so you have to manually configure that in the MAC.

Note: With the recent 3.2 update of the firmware many of us have had lots of issues with the compatibility of Mac's and PC's and other VGA/SDI to HDMI scalers/converters to the ATEM 1ME via HDMI. Things that used to work in 3.1.1 and older firmware no longer work. See elsewhere in this forum about the 3.2 firmware issues and the 60/59hz issue.

However I have both an ATEM 1ME and a TVS and I found the TVS was not impacted by the new firmware update as far as HDMI compatibility. So.. your issue may be resolved by tweaking the display settings on your MAC.

Good luck!
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

rafaelamersfoort

PostMon Aug 27, 2012 7:32 am

As far as i know you can't setup up a secondary display in Mac OS X without it being recognized. So setting up a secondary display isn't possible with only a MiniDisplay Port to HDMI adapter and the TVS connected to it. The TVS isn't presenting itself as a display so Mac OS X doesn't know what to do and doesn't see a secondary display.

sharyn

PostMon Aug 27, 2012 8:33 am

I am not a MAC person, but on the PC side of things, have seen where the TVS is "recognized" ie it shows up as a display device but will not actually display the image but the notebook resolution information can be altered . I have also seen where I need to restart the system with the TVS connected in order to get the TVS and the Notebook to "talk" In addition it is possible to get an EDID storage unit which will store the EDID you want, and then with this present you could configure your MAC. I am assuming based only on PC experience.
Anyway just some thoughts

This stuff can make things "interesting"

Sharyn

rafaelamersfoort

PostTue Aug 28, 2012 10:29 am

I'll give it a shot and reboot with the TVS connected to the MiniDisplay Port.

Ryan Farnes

PostTue Aug 28, 2012 3:17 pm

Hopefully this is a good thread to piggy back, thanks for any help.

Forgive my newbish question, but help me understand....if I have an older Macbook Pro (3 years old) that only has FW800, an express card slot and displayport, what is the best way to feed video output from the TVS via HDMI or HD-SDI to be able to livestream the program feed? (ingesting into the Macbook Pro)

I understand I may need another device to convert HDMI or HD-SDI to something the Macbook Pro can ingest/recognize, but what?

sharyn

PostFri Aug 31, 2012 1:45 am

rafaelamersfoort wrote:I'll give it a shot and reboot with the TVS connected to the MiniDisplay Port.

So did you have any luck getting it to work/
Sharyn

Return to Live Production