RAW Recording Error on Pocket

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Mikael Gustafson

RAW Recording Error on Pocket

PostWed Mar 19, 2014 4:01 am

I've been shooting ProRes with the pocket for several months with no problems. Today I bought a San Disk 64GB Extreme Pro so that I could try out RAW recording and have encountered a strange error. While the RAW footage plays back fine in the camera, once I plug the SD card into the computer, all the images seem to be corrupt. I've attached a sample photo for reference. Again, these seemingly corrupt files play back fine on the camera. ProRes footage shot on this card is also fine. The SD card was bought brand new today.

I've tried the following solutions:

1. Reformatting the SD card as ExFAT
2. Updating the camera firmware from 1.5 to 1.6 (which shouldn't make a difference because 1.6 didn't include any pocket changes.)

Any ideas... Bad card? Bad Pocket?
Attachments
bmpcc1_1_2014-03-01_0735_C0000_000000.jpg
Sample Cinema DNG frame converted to JPEG
bmpcc1_1_2014-03-01_0735_C0000_000000.jpg (542.37 KiB) Viewed 10218 times

Mikael Gustafson

Re: RAW Recording Error on Pocket

PostWed Mar 19, 2014 4:24 pm

I found this article that seems to explain the issue I'm having at the bottom: eoshd dot com /content/11509/8-cinema-dng-shots-blackmagic-pocket-cinema-camera-raw

(BTW the fact that it won't let me post a URL is asinine. replace the 'dot com' to view)

I'm surprised that I couldn't find any other talk about this on the forum and there is no mention of it in the FAQ...

Any inside info on when OSX or Premiere might support these compressed DNG files? Premiere's handling of DNG files from the 2.5K is awesome (way better than Resolve). That article was posted in November 2013. Have people really been using the cripplingly slow Resolve Light to process their RAW footage?

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Mar 19, 2014 5:03 pm

The reason why you cannot post URLs is that you are still under the post count for new users. Once you reach that limit, you should be able to post as you wish.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Nehemiah Ellsperman

PostWed Mar 19, 2014 5:08 pm

You are not able to view compressed .DNG files in Preview. You need to use a program- Resolve, Lightroom, etc. in order to view and process the .DNG files.
Last edited by Nehemiah Ellsperman on Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nehemiah Ellsperman

Hardware Certification Technician
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Mikael Gustafson

PostWed Mar 19, 2014 5:19 pm

Nehemiah Ellsperman wrote:You are not able to view .DNG files in Preview. You need to use a program- Resolve, Premiere Pro, Lightroom, etc. in order to view the .DNG files.

Well to clarify, you can view the uncompressed DNG files from the 2.5k camera in Preview. It's the compressed DNG that the pocket produces that Preview can't display yet. Also, Premiere does not yet support the Pocket DNG's either. I've reached out to my contact at Adobe to see what the progress on that implementation might be.

Might be worth an addition to the FAQ though. ;)

Nehemiah Ellsperman

PostWed Mar 19, 2014 10:01 pm

I was just referring to viewing compressed .dng files in Preview above but have clarified my post. Also, you are correct and I was mistaken about using being able to import the compressed .dng files into Premiere.
Nehemiah Ellsperman

Hardware Certification Technician
Blackmagic Design Inc.

joeytrimmer

PostSun Sep 28, 2014 3:32 pm

I own the Cinema Camera and was always able to preview DNG files. I just picked up a Pocket Cinema Cam and was really concerned when I saw the same images on preview of the DNG files after giving my Pocket Cam a test drive.

After finding this thread I was relieved to hear it was only an issue with previewing the files but for clarification, what is the reason I can preview DNG files from the BMCC and not the BMPCC?

Is there another way to preview the files before importing a scene or opening it up in Photoshop?

Return to Cinematography