Camera Shipping Update: 11/7

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Grant Petty

Blackmagic Design

Camera Shipping Update: 11/7

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 11:46 pm

Hi,

I have another update on the camera shipments.

First a bit of a background in the issue.

As I have explained in earlier posts, we have been dealing with an issue from our sensor supplier where the glass that covers the front of the sensor has been contaminated and they have been working on that issue. They realized they had a contamination issue that turned out to be caused by the packaging of the glass was shipped to their factory and so that contaminated glass was used on the sensors and sent to us.

Now there were a few fundamental problems with this. Firstly we should never have received parts that had contaminated glass. It turned out their quality control software at the sensor company was poorly designed. Secondly it had taken them months to work out what was going on and to get new packaging to ship the glass to the factory mounting it on the sensors. It's been months.

However a few weeks ago things were looking good and the supplier got glass that was clean, they updated their test software to correctly test the sensors and could start shipping sensors to us again.

Now as I mentioned last week, the problem is while we did start getting sensors that passed our quality control when used in building our cameras, a lot of sensors did not pass. This was confusing because the sensor’s supplier was supposed to have fixed their test software and had new clean glass.

Working out what was going wrong is what we have been busy doing over the last week. It's going to get a little technical here, however I think everyone wants to know what’s going on, instead of platitudes.

In our frustration over still getting sensors that would not pass our quality check, we decided to move in and completely audit the sensor supplier’s process in detail using our engineers. We wanted to fully understand what was going on.

We wanted to know how the supplier could the fix to get clean glass not be working 100% and how could the sensor supplier still let bad parts through their quality control process and ship them to us, in the belief that they were "good" parts? This was very confusing. I mean, fixing the contaminated glass should have been a quick simple job so how could they still not get it right after months of work?

What we found when investigating their processes was quite surprising. Of course we had known the original problem with their quality control checks was their test software had not been modified for color sensors. In the past their sensors were used for scientific use and used in black and white. Also their glass was never used as other customers bonded the lens optics onto the sensor itself. In our case we use the sensor in a conventional way and the customers change lenses. We need the glass on the sensor like all other cameras do.

Also, they had never built a camera using the sensor they make for us. We are the only camera that’s used this sensor and glass combination. It's like designing and building cars but no one at the company has every driven one.

So it turns out their quality process is really only good at testing the semiconductor die. It's no good at testing the quality of the overall sensor product with the glass in front. This meant they could not even see the problems we were seeing, so that’s why we were getting bad parts. We sent them the information on how to build our test setup and yesterday they started testing using it. Now they are seeing the same quality problems we are seeing. This is good as it means we should not get any more bad sensors.

The problem left is that out of a test batch of 30 sensors, only 4 worked well enough so we can build cameras using them. This is bad. So while the good news is they can now see the same problems we see, the question is why is there still contamination on the glass.

The reason is the contaminated glass issue in many ways distracted them from the problems their manufacturer is having bonding the glass to the sensor itself. The sensor supplier now has two sources of glass, and both of them are showing the same problems. The parts without glass are ok, and the problems appear when the glass is bonded to the sensor. If the glass is clean then it's really the company bonding on the glass that are introducing contamination.

Now the amazing part is that the first batch of sensors we got that we used for developing the camera and that were fine when we started production were manufactured by a completely different company to the second and subsequent batches of sensors. I could not believe this news when I heard it today as it explains a lot.

Our current understanding is that the company that has been bonding on the glass is crap and they have been contaminating the glass when bonding it. Because the sensor suppliers test process was also bad, it meant that no one really knew what was going on and it's been weeks and weeks of confusion.

The sensor supplier is getting some new sensors made at the original supplier, which we should get test data back on late this week. Once we see this we will know if the original supplier can make the parts without contamination and so we can start building cameras again. I don't know why they changed glass bonding companies.

I am sorry this is a really long way of explaining what’s going on. It's a complex issue and the only way to explain what’s going on is to actually explain what’s going on in detail. It's been hard to update at times because there has been so much confusion at times about these issues and if they have been fixed or not. We don't know until we build a bunch of cameras.

What has really shocked me is how long it has taken our sensor supplier to fix this. They have been very bad at moving quickly and really thinking about what's going wrong. If we had not moved in with our engineers, they still would have no idea what was going on. It's taken months and driven us crazy with frustration.

So the current plan is to get some sensors from the original glass bonding company and based on their upgraded testing we should know more at the end of the week if we are going to get a good supply of sensors starting to ship using that new company.

I will let you all know later this week or early next when we get some of these sensors to build cameras with and will know if we can start production full speed again.

Lastly, please take it easy on our PR folks. They want more regular updates and it’s me personally that are stopping that, because I don't want to do fluff updates that don't say anything and I don't want to lie to people.

Of course PR people want to do regular updates, but each stage in solving this problem has taken our supplier more than a week or so of work before we hear anything new, and then often we get more questions, not answers. It’s been frustrating, but our PR guys are only trying to help. There is some really crazy stuff being said, but at this point can only provide the info to you as we get it.

Sorry for the long update but I am just brain dumping the situation as it is today so you know what’s going on. I hope it helps.

Regards,

Grant Petty

Ram Prakash

Re: Camera Shipping Update: 11/7

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 12:00 am

Thanks for the detailed explanation. This explains the lack of regular updates
Cheers!
Ram Prakash

c.carlos.n

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 12:01 am

YES!!!!!
Carlos E Núñez

Bismarck Rojas

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 12:01 am

Thanks Grant for the detailed explanation, it´s been a long way and i think i speak for eveyone when i say that i hope everything works out fine for BMD and for the customers.

This is just a GREAT camera so if we all help support the team and you guys keep letting us know about the camera, been good or bad news, things will work out and frustration will be gone.

Regards.
www.veinti-uno.com

Luke Armstrong

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 12:04 am

Many thanks for this insight Grant, just what we needed to hear to understand your struggle.

Are you in a position to dispel the rumors that when you're at full production capacity you won't be able to produce more than 100 units a month?

If you could alleviate this concern i think a lot of people who would be grateful.
Last edited by Luke Armstrong on Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Luke Armstrong - Digital Compositor
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4274789/

AJ.infinite

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 12:09 am

Luke Armstrong wrote:Are you in a position to dispel the rumors that when you're at full production capacity you won't be able to produce more than 100 units a month?

I'd like to know this also.

Soeren Mueller

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 12:10 am

I'm with Luke.. thanks for the update and I can imagine the frustration/struggle.. but it would be great to know at least an estimate on the manufacturing capacity once the situation is resolved.

A sensor manufacturer only catering for scientific use.. from personal experience I know how these folks tend to live in an sort of ivory tower sometimes.. autism comes to mind :shock:

Costa Louvieris

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 12:13 am

Luke Armstrong wrote:Many thanks for this insight Grant, just what we needed to hear to understand your struggle.

Are you in a position to dispel the rumors that when you're at full production capacity you won't be able to produce more than 100 units a month?

I doubt it... not sure if it's their best interests to do that and as Grant stated, he doesn't want to lie.

I myself really doubt they can produce more than a 100 a month and if you think about it, 100 is a big number for a small company. Most of us won't see a camera until next year, at LEAST.

Edit - Just to make it clear... I would like this too but it won't happen:(
Last edited by Costa Louvieris on Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Christian Schmeer

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 12:14 am

Thank you so much for the update! Sounds like everything will finally fall into place, fingers crossed! :)

Luke Armstrong wrote:Are you in a position to dispel the rumors that when you're at full production capacity you won't be able to produce more than 100 units a month?

I would also like to know more about production capacity if that is possible at all? I think most of us would like to "guesstimate" when to expect our cameras, saying that we don't know how many BMCC were pre-ordered. Anything you could share with us is much appreciated :)
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

samuelchristopher

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 12:19 am

Thanks Grant.

Can you confirm though that if everything is ok with the original glass manufacturer, and when production starts again in "full", that it will be a mass production? as in good quantities shipping? and would those batches be weekly or even daily shipments to the distributors to fulfil these pre orders?

Thank you

Sam
Samuel Christopher
@samchristopher
www.samuelchristopher.co.uk

Kent Nichols

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 12:24 am

Thanks Grant!

So excited for this level of quality at this price point! If I need to grab the windex and clean the glass myself, let me know where to show up! :lol: :lol:
askaninja.com

Christian Schmeer

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 12:38 am

samuelchristopher wrote:Thanks Grant.

Can you confirm though that if everything is ok with the original glass manufacturer, and when production starts again in "full", that it will be a mass production? as in good quantities shipping? and would those batches be weekly or even daily shipments to the distributors to fulfil these pre orders?

Thank you

Sam

Seems like we all have the same question. It's the only thing left to know for now I guess.
www.christianschmeer.com

JerryBruck

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 12:40 am

This brings the story along, but it shines a miserable light on BMD as well as on its unnamed supplier. Why has the Company been so passive and slow in getting a handle on the situation? After all, the sensor is the alpha and omega of this revo they've convinced us they are launching.

Part of the answer must be that the sensor-maker holds the whip hand by now -- they can't be fired. Black Magic has been left with Hope, opiate of bad-starters. They have had to be polite, to play dumb.

But Black Magic Design set out to undermine the product development road-map of an entire industry. Didn't they have any imagination for what could go wrong? Shouldn't they have been watching -- on location -- at every choke point? Are these bad surprises the result or sheer incompetence, or is this extended mess easier to understand as the Empire striking back?

The crazy-bad English of the 11/7 report does little to strengthen my hope that BMD can get the project back on course any time soon or even keep us reasonably informed of what we can expect. This last requires dates and numbers. Conservative ones.

wcapps1

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 12:43 am

Now was that so hard? Like I said in an earlier thread, manufacturing issues happen. We all understand that, nobody is thrilled about it, but we understand that these things happen. But, a little honesty and openness goes a long way toward building some much needed trust. If you are waiting on test results or there are issues, JUST SAY THAT. We deserve more than to just be blown off.

I know you guys might be worried about a lot of people canceling their orders but your communications strategy is loosing you more customers than issues in manufacturing ever will.
Wayne Capps
Reserve Productions
www.ReserveProductions.com

Chip Bobbert

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 12:43 am

Grant, this is all well and good but I don't share the optimism that many of your customers do. Failure to get products to market in a reasonable time after you announce them is a significant problem with your company. One you, as president, have been unable to address. You shouldn't have started taking money for these. You have a significant back order and and from the looks of it you're still figuring out how to build these these things. This isn't behavior exhibited by your company's competitors.

Normally you would get a pass for this, but this isn't the first time your company started taking money for products you couldn't get to market. Remember the Universal Videohub? You took our money for that thing then didn't deliver it FOR 18 MONTHS. How about the Pro Recoder? What was the delay on that, 2 years after announcement? I think it's time for new management at Blackmagic, what you're doing, taking peoples money then failing to deliver a product until a substantial amount of time passes, is irresponsible. We put our faith, our money, in you and can you can't deliver. You're misleading and abusive to your customers.

SOOO, next year, when you show up to NAB with you latest greatest widget and tell everyone it will be ready in July, don't be surprised when we all laugh at you.

Lorenzo Straight

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 12:48 am

I'll tell you why the supplier switched bonding companies; The new bonding company was cheaper than the original!
MSI GS60 Ghost Pro-4K-605-2.7 GHz Intel Core i7-5700HQ (Broadwell)-16GB of 1600 MHz DDR3L RAM-1TB 7200 rpm HDD + 128GB M.2 SSD-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M GPU (6GB GDDR5)-15.6" UHD + 4K IPS Display-3840 x 2160
-Windows 8.1

Sam Meyer

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 12:48 am

Thanks Grant,

The more detailed information the better, I Can't wait to get this camera, Just a shame I won't be able to use it on my short film in December. Would love to see some pics of the factory and the production line.

Sam

Costa Louvieris

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 12:49 am

Grant it would be nice for you to explain the Hyperdeck Studio Pro delay too... and every other delay you've had! They can't all be blamed on your suppliers!
Last edited by Costa Louvieris on Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brian@202020

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 12:50 am

Thank you Grant. Keep up the good work, and update us when you can.

Christian Schmeer

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 12:50 am

Lorenzo Straight wrote:I'll tell you why the supplier switched bonding companies; The new bonding company was cheaper than the original!

You get what you pay for I guess. Can't believe the sensor supplier didn't mention that to BMD before though? That's sneaky... :|
www.christianschmeer.com

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 12:54 am

Lorenzo Straight wrote:I'll tell you why the supplier switched bonding companies; The new bonding company was cheaper than the original!

Or: Owned by a relative of the sensor manufacturer?

Whatever!

Meanwhile, the prospect of my dining on one of Marc Hood's shoes if "a bunch of us" don't receive our BMCCs by Jan. 1, 2013 continues to bear down on me ... :lol:

c.carlos.n

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 12:58 am

here we go, another round of BMD bashing....
Carlos E Núñez

Costa Louvieris

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 12:58 am

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:

Or: Owned by a relative of the sensor manufacturer?

Whatever!

Meanwhile, the prospect of my dining on one of Marc Hood's shoes if "a bunch of us" don't receive our BMCCs by Jan. 1, 2013 continues to bear down on me ... :lol:

You know you're eating that shoe, right. Never bet on a BMD deadline. NEVER. Rookie mistake;)

jasonxinzhou

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 1:01 am

Luke Armstrong wrote:Many thanks for this insight Grant, just what we needed to hear to understand your struggle.

If you could alleviate this concern i think a lot of people who would be grateful.

I am afraid it is hard for them to release production capacity coz it is confidential to most companies.

Costa Louvieris

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 1:03 am

jasonxinzhou wrote:

I am afraid it is hard for them to release production capacity coz it is confidential to most companies.

Don't have to give numbers just acknowledge if preorder fulfillment is likely by EOY. Easy.

Darren Joy

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 1:05 am

Thank you for that update Grant, I suspect a good number of customers did not cancel their order today based on that update, I am one of them.

I hope you'll continue with regular updates, even when there's not much to say, as you can see from the tone of replies, it's really all that's needed. The camera is a fine product, and people will wait for that, they just don't like to be ignored.

Not that I have any say in it, but at this stage I suspect it might be cost effective to leave at least one of your engineers on-site for the time-being, given the sensor supplier's apparent inexperience in the target market for the component, it would probably save a lot of time and grief.

Good luck, hope you have some good news for us soon.

JerryBruck

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 1:12 am

I agree with costa. That's the grown-up way, when you have customers counting on the prospect. Instead we have these woozie reports leading to no definite conclusion or result, as if Cheech and Chong were at the helm, astonished and amazed each time they try to delve into things. M a n u f a c t u r i n g . . . w o w w w w w w

Andrew Deme

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 1:18 am

JerryBruck wrote:I agree with costa. That's the grown-up way, when you have customers counting on the prospect. Instead we have these woozie reports leading to no definite conclusion or result, as if Cheech and Chong were at the helm, astonished and amazed each time they try to delve into things. M a n u f a c t u r i n g . . . w o w w w w w w

What an immature post from someone preaching the virtues of 'the grown-up way'.

Bill Rich

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 1:20 am

Thank you Grant! I look forward to the camera getting back in production.
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

Jason Davis

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 1:25 am

TL;DR

JerryBruck

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 1:28 am

In your opinion, Mr. Deme, has BMD handled this launch well? Has it shown the control and competence we -- at least I, expected of such a company? Have its undertakings been responsible, considering that its customers many of them are in business too? Is it helping or hurting the aspirations for lower-cost movie-making that it has encouraged? Has it behaved, in these senses, as grown up?

Andrew Deme

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 1:38 am

JerryBruck wrote:In your opinion, Mr. Deme, has BMD handled this launch well? Has it shown the control and competence we -- at least I, expected of such a company? Have its undertakings been responsible, considering that its customers many of them are in business too? Is it helping or hurting the aspirations for lower-cost movie-making that it has encouraged? Has it behaved, in these senses, as grown up?

It's not a question I have ever thought about as it's a much simpler decision.

Is there anything else that I can buy that will do what the BMC does, for a similar price.

Well I can't find anything so I am happy to wait and really could give two hoots what BMD say....makes no difference as it is simply a 'binary' decision.

The day I can buy the same or better then I make a decision.

Sure sooner would be better than later but what other option do I have.

JerryBruck

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 1:45 am

Well then we're all in this together. That's why it's so distressing (to me) when the author of this magic seems so strangely disengaged from making it happen. It seems so stark after this last post of his. Of course he is suffering, but why o why is the Company so helpless? Would it help things along to pretend otherwise?

AJ.infinite

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 1:48 am

anyone want to buy a brand new viewfactor cage with handle? I also have a brand new Sandisk 480gb ssd

bhook

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 1:49 am

Two questions from me:

1. How many BMCs do you expect to ship each week if/when the sensors are no longer an issue? (If you insist, one figure? Two figures? Three figures? Four figures?)

and the one that's most important to my company...especially when things go badly:

2. What have you learned?

Phillip Mortimer

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 1:50 am

Grant,
Can you take the glass bonding process in-house?

Joel Crane

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 2:01 am

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote: Meanwhile, the prospect of my dining on one of Marc Hood's shoes if "a bunch of us" don't receive our BMCCs by Jan. 1, 2013 continues to bear down on me ... :lol:

Got a call this morning from my supplier that I'll be receiving mine via express delivery tomorrow morning. Them shoes looking mighty tasty!

Joel Crane

- Photographer - Filmmaker - Superhero -
www.joelcranephotography.com

Brett Casadonte

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 2:15 am

Thanks for the update. The detail you have provided has been very generous and I appreciate you taking the time to keep everyone informed. I am certain that your frustration level is even higher than all of us waiting to get our hands on this wonderful camera.

Also wanted to take a moment to say thank you for taking the time to ensure that nothing less than an A+ product gets shipped out. While all of us wish we could have our camera's sooner, I don't believe than any of us would want to receive a less than optimal performing camera.

I'm looking forward to receiving the two BMCCs I have on order once all the production kinks are worked out.

Brett Casadonte
Cinematographer / Photographer
Brett Casadonte
Founder and Techinical Director - GlobeStream Media
http://www.globestreammedia.com
Live Production: on-location and REMI using LiveU
ATEM 2 M/E, 1 M/E, TV Studio Pro 4k, BM URSA Broadcast, & Studio/Micro Studio Cameras

Dave Dominguez

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 2:25 am

thanks for the update. I'm scared now.
https://vimeo.com/daviddominguez

Taikonaut

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 2:30 am

Grant,
I think we can all agree the delay is pretty unacceptable.
Without exasperating the situation further with more delays why cant you ship a copy of Resolve 9 to everyone who pre-ordered the BMC but has the misfortune of having to waite longer? As a businessman cant you see this would be a win win decision? I think the reason why the BMC is priced at $3k with a free copy of Resolve 9 so that peple can buy into future Resolve software updates. Even if customers decide to cancel their BMC it is still some kind of compensation, obviously it does not in anyway substitute for the delay of the camera itself.

Taikonaut

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 2:33 am

So there is only 4 good sensors out of 30 which reflect the total numbers shipped around the world in the last month or so. Even if all 30 had good sensors its barely enough to fulfill even 0.5% of orders :o

Why cant BMD glue the glass onto the sensor themselves?
Last edited by Taikonaut on Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Taikonaut

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 2:37 am

c.carlos.n wrote:here we go, another round of BMD bashing....

here we go another BMD apologist

Jason Davis

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 2:40 am

Joel Crane wrote:
Got a call this morning from my supplier that I'll be receiving mine via express delivery tomorrow morning. Them shoes looking mighty tasty!

post it on eBay for purchase :D

Ryan Best

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 2:42 am

mhood wrote:Two questions from me:

1. How many BMCs do you expect to ship each week if/when the sensors are no longer an issue? (If you insist, one figure? Two figures? Three figures? Four figures?)

and the one that's most important to my company...especially when things go badly:

I really appreciate that update Grant... Just like Illya's post I read a few days ago, it gives an insight into the challenges BMD are facing - We are all rooting for you and this great product - No question.

But..
I have to say I am in agreement with Marc & Luke on this... I'm sure others will feel the same... We don't need specific numbers, but we do need some sort of outline/guideline around pre-orders. Not the exact number, but I think Marc's onto something... one figure, two figures, three figures, four figures...???

As important as it was for this update to be made, it is just as vital that we have some information regarding the BMCC if the sensor issue no longer becomes an issue.

PaulDelVecchio

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 2:45 am

Taikonaut wrote:Grant,
Without exasperating the situation further with more delays why cant you ship a copy of Resolve 9 to everyone who pre-ordered the BMC but has the misfortune of having to waite longer? As a businessman cant you see this would be a win win decision? I think the reason why the BMC is priced at $3k with a free copy of Resolve 9 so that peple can buy into future Resolve software updates.

The dongle comes in the box with the camera. BMD doesn't have a list of everyone who pre-ordered. The store you bought it from does. The authorized dealers have the lists. What are they going to do, remove the dongle by hand from every box they ship out? Change their packaging process? It's a bit more complicated than just sending them out. What if someone cancels the preorder, etc.

And just to be clear, my tone is not a harsh one. It's hard to tell tone over the internet so I'm not insulting you, I'm just chiming in on what I think would change their packaging process.

Also, when you say people buying in to future updates of Resolve... they didn't charge Resolve 8 owner an upgrade cost to upgrade to Resolve 9. I don't know their plans, but I don't think they're charging for upgrades at the moment. Not sure if that will change.
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

Ryan Best

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 2:48 am

Joel Crane wrote:
Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote: Meanwhile, the prospect of my dining on one of Marc Hood's shoes if "a bunch of us" don't receive our BMCCs by Jan. 1, 2013 continues to bear down on me ... :lol:

As jealous as I am LOL - this gives me faith... I honestly can't wait to receive that news from my supplier. Good luck man...!!!

PaulDelVecchio

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 2:49 am

Taikonaut wrote:Why cant BMD glue the glass onto the sensor themselves?

They'd have to get into sensor manufacturing and create a whole new process, buy new machines, possibly a new clean room, etc. That would cause the price of the camera to increase significantly. Knowing that 2 different companies were contaminating the glass upon installing the glass on the sensor, it doesn't seem like it's an easy process. I wish it were. We could just hire a bunch of kids, give them some Elmer's Glue, and be done with it.

Seriously though, I'm sure the process is insane and would require BMD to open up a whole new room/facility to do so, and again, this would cause the camera price to go up.
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

Taikonaut

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 2:51 am

Ryan Best wrote:As important as it was for this update to be made, it is just as vital that we have some information regarding the BMCC if the sensor issue no longer becomes an issue.

What do you think would be the issue surrounding the delay of the BMC camera handle? They didnt bother shipping that out so what chance have they got for the camera itself?
I fear the only reason for this is BMD is biting off more than they could chew. It is too small a company. Not only do they have no previous experience in building a camera prior to the BMC they have no experience in mass production. It is not hard to imagine why companies gets their stuff made in China these days.

Taikonaut

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 2:55 am

PaulDelVecchio wrote:
Taikonaut wrote:Grant,
Without exasperating the situation further with more delays why cant you ship a copy of Resolve 9 to everyone who pre-ordered the BMC but has the misfortune of having to waite longer? As a businessman cant you see this would be a win win decision? I think the reason why the BMC is priced at $3k with a free copy of Resolve 9 so that peple can buy into future Resolve software updates.

The dongle comes in the box with the camera. BMD doesn't have a list of everyone who pre-ordered. The store you bought it from does. The authorized dealers have the lists. What are they going to do, remove the dongle by hand from every box they ship out? Change their packaging process? It's a bit more complicated than just sending them out. What if someone cancels the preorder, etc.

And just to be clear, my tone is not a harsh one. It's hard to tell tone over the internet so I'm not insulting you, I'm just chiming in on what I think would change their packaging process.

Also, when you say people buying in to future updates of Resolve... they didn't charge Resolve 8 owner an upgrade cost to upgrade to Resolve 9. I don't know their plans, but I don't think they're charging for upgrades at the moment. Not sure if that will change.

Thats easy, BMD can contact their authorised reseller. Do you actually believe BMD only produce Resolve 9 with BMC?
If people cancelled their BMC that is compensation for the delays.

Taikonaut

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 2:58 am

PaulDelVecchio wrote:
Taikonaut wrote:Why cant BMD glue the glass onto the sensor themselves?

They'd have to get into sensor manufacturing and create a whole new process, buy new machines, possibly a new clean room, etc. That would cause the price of the camera to increase significantly. Knowing that 2 different companies were contaminating the glass upon installing the glass on the sensor, it doesn't seem like it's an easy process. I wish it were. We could just hire a bunch of kids, give them some Elmer's Glue, and be done with it.

Seriously though, I'm sure the process is insane and would require BMD to open up a whole new room/facility to do so, and again, this would cause the camera price to go up.

Seriously you are sounding like a BMD apologist.
If they cant glue it themselves because of lack of resources maybe they should not have gotten involved in making cameras in the first place. I know it is blunt but that is not my problem.
Next

Return to Cinematography