BMCC feature requests (post yours here)

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

BMCC feature requests (post yours here)

PostSun Aug 26, 2012 7:14 am

Hopefully BMD will make this thread a "sticky" at the top of the forum page.

First I should say that I love the original BMCC design (as described on the BMD website) so much that I placed a pre-order for one the very first moment it became possible. I'll be very happy with my BMCC even if it never changes beyond the features and specs currently listed on the BMCC product page.

Be that as it may, there's always at least the potential for improvement ... ;-)

There are lists of BMCC feature requests on some other 3rd party sites, but it probably makes more sense to continue that effort here on BMD's own forum where the company is most likely to see it (and possibly respond).

So, post your requests for features to add to the original BMCC hardware via firmware updates after the camera starts shipping, or new hardware features for some future new BMCC-like camera from BMD. Of course, neither is certain, and I'm sure BMD is well-aware of most of these ideas, but here we go ...

I'll start:

- Enable additional recording frame rates, with sound if possible, within the hardware capabilities of the original BMCC camera. For example, 1-30 fps in 1 frame increments, and >30 fps in 1 frame increments. If the BMCC hardware can't do this, then include in some possible future BMCC-like camera.

- Enable deleting a clip in-camera without use of a computer.

- Enable formatting an SSD in-camera without use of a computer, or at least enable deleting multiple clips at once in-camera w/o a computer.

- As discussed in another thread, enable setting zebras <75 IRE, perhaps quite low, such as 30 or less. Personally, 50 IRE and above in 5 IRE increments would be nice (for example, I find 50-60 is useful for exposing green screen).

- Enable zebras to display sensor clipping (100%) when the camera is in RAW DNG mode, or IRE clipping (100 IRE) when in ProRes/DNxHD modes. Extra bonus: Zebras at 110 IRE in ProRes/DNxHD modes. Other variations might be possible, such as cam recording RAW DNG, but HD-SDI monitor output displays zebras @ IRE clipping instead of sensor clipping.

- Enable audio VU meters and/or audio peaking indicators on the LCD, including while recording.

- Enable settable timecode, so for example, each SSD can be assigned a unique starting "hour", etc.

- Enable using the BMCC as a "dumb" SSD reader via Thunderbolt, so clips can be copied directly from a SSD in the BMCC to a computer via T-Bolt w/o using a cradle/caddie. However, if this can't be implemented via a firmware update because it requires a diff. hardware design, will have to wait for some future BMCC model.

- Add something like a "Status" checkbox immediately to the right of most menu items, which if checked by the user will display that menu item's current "value" in the status text line across the bottom of the BMCC's LCD. The UI software would auto limit the total number of items displayed so the text fits. So, for example, a user may choose to un-check all status items (no status text displayed), or only check certain items they prefer to display in the status line.

- Enable an actual color temperature value (Kelvin) to be displayed in the status text line at the bottom of the BMCC's LCD. In other words, if a white or grey object is in the middle area of the scene, the color temperature of the light hitting it is displayed.

- Enable a way to synch 2 or more cameras, such as for 3D or perhaps "bullet time", etc. Via one of the audio inputs, or T-Bolt, or USB.

- In the "next" BMCC-like camera, offer the camera with either a EF or an electronic m43 lens mount. I've also heard convincing requests for the new Canon mount, EF-M (do I have that right?). Personally I own several electronic (Lumix brand) m43 lenses which would be nice to use on a BMCC-like camera. These mounts can also be easily be adapted to almost every lens type available, including PL.

- Enable a feature similar to the Panasonic GH2's "Extra Tele Conversion" mode: A 1920 x 1080 pixel for pixel crop of the center of the BMCC's sensor, recorded as 1080p ProRes 422 HQ or DNxHD. This would extend the reach of any lens mounted on the BMCC. For example, the apparent focal length of an ultra-wide zoom lens such as the Sigma 11-16mm could be switched to approx. 14-21mm (?) at the push of a button, with few additional artifacts. (Might be a bit noisier?)

- Enable the double-tap-to-magnify focus aid feature to be positionable/navigable, instead of only being centered on the LCD touchscreen.

- The UI must have a record "time remaining" readout on the LCD, based on current settings. In other words, an indication of approx. how many minutes worth of empty space is there remaining on the SSD @ CinemaDNG or compressed (ProRes/DNxHD) data rates.

Cheers.
Last edited by Peter J. DeCrescenzo on Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:08 pm, edited 18 times in total.

Brian@202020

Re: BMCC feature requests (post yours here)

PostSun Aug 26, 2012 7:36 am

My list in order of importance to me:
1. A removable AA filter (free or cheap to early adopters)
2. A removable AA filter (free or cheap to early adopters)
3. A removable AA filter (free or cheap to early adopters)
4. The camera actually delivered and in my hands.
5. 2.5K ProRes files
6. On screen live audio metering and adjustment
7. Constant frame rates in 1 frame increments from 1 to as high as possible (while recording audio in every frame rate possible).
8. Burst mode to achieve even higher frame rates for a limited time (while recording audio if you can).
9. On camera waveform
10. The ability to use more of the unactive sensor even if you have to slow down the frame rate to do it (for a bigger 16x9 frame and/or for anamorphic).
11. Constant timecode sync and/or jam sync timecode how ever possible (via Thunderbolt, an audio channel, etc).
12. Cineform RAW
13. ProRes 4444
14. More customizable automatic and/or manual metadata entry (lens f-stop, lens focal length, etc)
15. Tap to focus (to the area tapped).
16. Tap to expose (for the area tapped).
17. Allow uploadable LUT's
18. In camera frame rate ramping (I know this one is a long shot, but I loved this feature with my RED ONE and miss it daily)
19. The ability to delete clips in camera.

I'm sure I'll think of more once I have the camera in my hands.

Corey Smith

PostSun Aug 26, 2012 8:08 am

Selectable low frame rates[/b] down as low as 4 frames per second that can play back at the 24fps or 30fps rate.

Why? Low frame rates can be used to create great cinematic effects such as super speed movement since it adds a real motion blur. Or used to create creepy ghost like movements as seen on House on Haunted Hill, Stir of Echoes, etc.

I have an example. How does one embed YouTube Videos Here? The methods I've looked up to not seem to work, but here is the link to the video I shot with my Canon T2i at 4fps with the Magic Lantern hack.

And I see someone beat me to it as I was posting. :D

popcornflix

PostSun Aug 26, 2012 9:47 am

Please do NOT add a delete command to the camera.
Your design concept is sound.
Cost and inconvenience of coping with a camera that can't delete is far less than the cost and inconvenience of accidentally deleting a shot you needed.

As JB pointed out, Red can't delete, Alexa can't delete -- keep it as it is.

popcornflix

Micro 4/3 Mount upgrade/conversion

PostSun Aug 26, 2012 9:55 am

Ideally, a fully automatic M4/3 mount, but many of us would be fine with a manual conversion.

I don't want to buy a whole new camera for this. I'd like to either send my camera in for a conversion or swap my BMDCC for a remanufactured one with a M4/3 mount.

Obviously, the advantage would be that nearly any kind of lens could be mounted on the BMDCC with just an adapter. Even PL lenses. M4/3 also gives us access to some really affordable, useful lenses like the Voigtlander 25mm f0.95.

Many of us would be willing to pay an additional price for a M4/3 mount.

popcornflix

Global Shutter/Action Mode

PostSun Aug 26, 2012 9:58 am

Include an "Action Mode" that activates the Global Shutter. The "Action Mode" branding is to account for the increased noise and decreased dynamic range that goes along with the Global Shutter.

If a user needs to do kientic camera work without rolling shutter, they can choose slightly less pristine image quality, but no jello cam. The DR is likely to be equivalent with DSLRs being used for feature films, so it's a reasonable trade-off.

Washington Irving

PostSun Aug 26, 2012 10:08 am

1. Prores 2.5k
2. Frame rate selectable in 1 frame increments.
3. Files transferable via thunderbolt.
4. Custom frame bars for different crops. ie. 2.35:1, 2:1, 1.85:1

More fps if possible but no biggie. I'm happy with up to 30

Raphael Wood

PostSun Aug 26, 2012 10:25 am

4:3 Shooting Mode so we can use 2x Anamorphic

Tom

PostSun Aug 26, 2012 10:57 am

1 --Cineform RAW recording in camera.
My ignorance of the finer details of camera manufacturing and development prevent me from really knowing how feasible this request is, but It would make such a HUGE improvement to the camera. Considering how high the quality of cineform Raw files and that they do no pre-debayer, but that the file sizes are tiny compared to CinemaDNG - it would be, for me, the ideal format. The file sizes of Prores (ok maybe slightly bigger) with almost the same level of quality as cinemaDNG.
At the moment I just convert the DNG's to Cineform RAW, but idealy Id rather be able to fit more footage on the SSD's.

2 -- Delete function (disable-able via menu?)
Also, Whilst I fully understand and appreciate the reason for not having a delete function, It is something I would also like to see. Perhaps if it was possible to enable and disable the delete function via a separate menu, so that those worried they may accidentally delete files can not have the function active.

3 -- Slower frame rates
Obviously higher frame rates would be nice, but I understand the issues with achieving this. So how about intermediate frame rates between 1-30?

4 -- False Colour Mode
False colour mode exposing via the camera's lcd screen would be wonderful too! I use it for almost every shot with my 5D mkii (magic lantern hacked). I know I could purchase a separate monitor with this function, but part of the camera's charm is how you can have simple configurations without having to have lots of gear attached.

(and finally, this obviously depends on the internals of the camera)
5 -- Sensor Temperature reading
If the camera contains any temperature sensors, it would be useful in some conditions to be able to keep an eye on it. It might also help for diagnostics purposes.
Tom Majerski
Colourist at Tracks and Layers
http://www.Tracksandlayers.com
Motion Graphics - Colour Grading - VFX

kassim

PostSun Aug 26, 2012 11:50 am

1. 60fps
2. 60fps
3. 60fps
4. camera delivered in my hands :D
Kassim Norris

Noel Sterrett

PostSun Aug 26, 2012 12:52 pm

popcornflix wrote:As JB pointed out, Red can't delete, Alexa can't delete -- keep it as it is.

Nikon and Canon can delete. It could be a setup option to allow or not allow deletion. It's just as dangerous to delete from a laptop, and I don't want to have to schlep a laptop everywhere the camera goes.

My #1: exFAT

Cheers.
Admit One Pictures
Resolve Studio 18 | Linux Lint 21 | Nvidia 515 | Xeon | iCore | Ryzen

maheelrp

PostSun Aug 26, 2012 1:45 pm

M43 (as popcornflix requested)
Will open up unlimited lens choises.

Genlock
Will make the camera ideal for 3D. (size and higher than HD resolution)

Thanks.

Felix Steinhardt

PostSun Aug 26, 2012 2:08 pm

- A shutter angle of 173 degrees when shooting 23,976 fps, meaning 1/50 second for PAL countries.
180 degrees or 1/48 causes flickering.

I prefer shooting 23,976 in PAL land because it goes natively on bluray. 25p must be stored as 50i and I´ve seen problems with players and TVs, not deinterlacing correctly.

- Zebras down to at least 45 to expose for a greycard.

Raphael Hache

PostSun Aug 26, 2012 4:06 pm

Hello,

1: 48fps
2: Aspect-Ratio markers (2.35:1, 1.85:1 etc)
3: Prores 2.5 k

Andreas Kaufmann

PostSun Aug 26, 2012 5:27 pm

1. 60fps (best in 1080p but also good if just 720)
2. False Colour
3. Delete Clip Function (Menu - can be turned on or off)

Love the Camera, Good work BM-Team!

Best,
Andreas
www.andreas-kaufmann.net

Cedric Akins

PostSun Aug 26, 2012 7:26 pm

Here is my list of feature requests in order of importance to me.

Time code sync and/or jam sync time code how ever possible (via Thunderbolt, an audio channel, sdi, etc). Ideally user selectable, such as TC preset, UB preset, TC run, TC make, UB time rec. etc.

Variable frame rates, 1 frame increments for time-lapse recording. And frame rates up to 60fps, NOT just in Prores if at all possible.

On screen live audio metering.

On camera waveform, histogram, and/or vector scope.

Custom frame bars for different crops. ie. 2.35:1, 2:1, 1.85:1.

Interchangeable lens mounts, similar to Epic/Scarlet, i.e. 4/3 mount, Canon, Nikon, etc. Offers a wider lens range for larger number of people more sales.

Jesuan Soriano

PostSun Aug 26, 2012 7:38 pm

by the moment...they've just made an awesome camera at an awesome price
i would only ask by now

48 or 60 fps
thunderbolt capable to offload clips
Jesus Soriano

andrew

PostSun Aug 26, 2012 7:50 pm

My top feature request would have to be variable frame rates. 1-30 would be nice. Peter mentioned having sound with lower frame rates. IMO that would be fine, but not at all necessary.

Second would be the most FPS possible. If that's 33fps then great! 36? Even better!

I'm buying the camera for what it says it can do and really hoping for variable frame rates later. I'm not holding my breath for higher frame rates, but that sure would be a nice surprise!

Paul Flack

PostSun Aug 26, 2012 8:55 pm

- Pre-Defined and costumizable aspect ratio guide lines

- Time-Lapse function (Free framerates between 1-30 and even lower than 1)

- "Stills" function, where a single DNG gets shot, and not a whole motion stream

- The possibility to flip the camera screen, for example when the camera is upside-down

- On-Screen histogram, audio levels, etc.

- Possible post-release conversion of the mount (to a new mount or even interchangable mount) for a fee

- Copying footage from camera through Thunderbolt (and USB 2.0? - I know, it would take a while for a full SSD, but would be nice to be able to quickly get quickly some DNG grabs from the camera)

- If possible, higher framerates, of course. Doesn't have to be 60 fps. Any additional fps for an ever so slight slow-motion effect is welcome

- Iris (and focus ?) support of non Canon electronic EF lenses

- ProRes at 2.5K, Cinema DNG at 1080p (with cropped sensor)

Tim Hole

PostSun Aug 26, 2012 10:47 pm

Some great suggestions above. I will add a very definite +10 to the 4/3" mount.

I have one that I was bleating on about when the Scarlet was in early stages. Its a minor feature that would help me and many others i'm sure. A low opacity frame overlay in monitoring. The Aaton Penelope has one, as does the SI-2K.

The idea is to either have a way to retrieve or flag an image within loaded footage, or to take a historical image/an image mastered in photoshop and loaded onto the drive. This image can then be overlayed at 50% opacity whilst either monitoring or recording. It is an incredibly useful tool for frame matching, perspective and match moving. I can see the BMC being used a lot for effects work and this would be an invaluable tool.

Alex

PostSun Aug 26, 2012 11:17 pm

An official ACES Input Display Transform.

greg fiske

PostMon Aug 27, 2012 2:20 am

1. cineform raw
2. lanc controller for event shooters to quickly dial in main settings.

Tzedekh

PostMon Aug 27, 2012 7:58 am

1. A short-flange-distance mount (MFT or EF-M)
2. HDMI port
3. CineForm RAW
4. 60 fps
5. A 2,560- x 2,160-pixel crop of the 2,592 x 2,192 total pixels to yield a 1.185:1 aspect ratio for 2:1 anamorphic capture.

Bernhard

Re: BMCC feature requests (12bit ProRes4444)

PostMon Aug 27, 2012 8:15 am

Hello,

Please would it be technically possible to add
ProRes4444 at full 12bit
as recording format via future firmware update?

Thought some argue that 444 wouldn't make much sense due to
the bayer resolution of the sensor, but:

1) the primary benefit of ProRes4444 would be it's capacity of full 12bit!
2) since de-bayering is basically a form of image resampling,
I've full faith in BMD's (Teranex) competence delivering excellent images at 444.

Thank You and Best Regards,
Bernhard

Bradley Olsen

PostMon Aug 27, 2012 8:30 am

Built in ND filters are always convenient. I know we're not going to see them in this first version of the camera. But something to consider for BMCC 2...

woof!

PostMon Aug 27, 2012 9:11 am

1. on screen audio levels
2. on screen histogram
3. Delete files in camera
4. 60fps (or more)
5. Control over SSD with thunderbolt/USB (copy/delete)
6. MFT mount

thank you

bhook

PostMon Aug 27, 2012 11:46 am

Being PC only, it would sure be nice if the BMC could format its SSD. A more agnostic format for the SSD would be nice too.

Also, I sure do wish there was a working USB3.0 route to UltraScopes on a PC laptop included with the BMC (under the banner of Windows support).
Last edited by bhook on Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Noel Sterrett

PostMon Aug 27, 2012 12:04 pm

mhood wrote:Being PC only, it would sure be nice if the BMC could format its SSD. A more agnostic format for the SSD would be nice too.

exFAT!

Cheers.
Admit One Pictures
Resolve Studio 18 | Linux Lint 21 | Nvidia 515 | Xeon | iCore | Ryzen

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostMon Aug 27, 2012 9:48 pm

Bump. Per BMD's request, I removed a link to a certain 3rd party site in the 1st post of this thread. Cheers.

Gavin Benjamin

PostMon Aug 27, 2012 10:12 pm

-60fps or better (120 would be fantastic if even just in prores or dnxhd)
dnxhd 350x (444)
3d sync port
ssd expanspansion port allowing to add another one or two more sdd drives
G.

samuelchristopher

BMCC feature requests

PostMon Aug 27, 2012 11:11 pm

1 - Frame rates
It would be great to have upwards of 60fps even if that's at 1080p and using compression like ProRes or Cineform.

2 - Codec
The above could be made simpler by using compression like ProRes or CineForm RAW both at 2.5k instead of just 1080p would be great even if you can'y use the higher frame rates at the full 2.5k.

3 - HDMI
Sadly an impossible feature as it's not exactly firmware upgradable and they've obviously locked out the design of the production model, but for the future mark II that would be nice.

That's it really, the rest of the deal is just stunning. Great job Blackmagic.
Samuel Christopher
@samchristopher
www.samuelchristopher.co.uk

j.giambrone

PostTue Aug 28, 2012 1:04 am

Fantastic camera, I'll only ask for things that are EASY to do with a firmware tinker:

1. ANAMORPHIC MODE - To max. out the vertical resolution calculated for a 2X squeeze = 2.39 ratio.
2. SLOWER FRAME RATES / TIMELAPSE MODE - Already asked. Action scenes with 20-22fps are something I really do want.

cgurtlinger

PostTue Aug 28, 2012 3:24 am

So far from what I've seen of this camera it's awesome and can't wait to get my preorder, but my short list of features I would love to see implemented eventually would be these:

[there not in the order of importance either]

1) on screen audio monitoring & calibrating while recording with out going into the menus
2) 2.5k ProRes (with hopefully the including of ProRes 4444 at full 12bit in 2.5k, as well as 1080p) & DnxHD recording.
3) Possibly higher frame rates (if not in this model certainly the next model!)
4) RAW 1080p CinemaDNG recording (don't know if I'm silly for wanting this?)

Can't think of much else at the moment but it's at start at least for right now!

Jesuan Soriano

PostTue Aug 28, 2012 10:20 pm

yeah pro res 444 in "film" mode...with a flat image...that would beat the Alexa and it would be just awesome...better than raw for me :)
Jesus Soriano

Kevin Thompson

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 12:17 am

I think that most/all of the requested features would be great.

Considering the name 'Cinema' Camera, the cinemascope (anamorphic options) ratios would seem logical.

My personal number 1 is the ability to genlock.
I have an ATEM TVStudio. At the moment I will either hire genlockable ENG style cameras, or use a hodgepodge of genlock and frame synchronisers. I could express this as request for better compatibility with ATEM devices .. if it would work with my ATEM, I would have bought two.
BMD Products:
ATEM Television Studio, Micro Videohub, GPI&Tally
Hyperdeck Studio, Mini Monitor, Mini Recorder
HDMI->SDI Battery Converter (2)
SmartView HD, SmartScope Duo 4K
Ultrastudio 4K, Multidock, MFT BMCC

Mike Squires

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 1:51 am

Kevin Thompson wrote:I think that most/all of the requested features would be great.

Considering the name 'Cinema' Camera, the cinemascope (anamorphic options) ratios would seem logical.

My personal number 1 is the ability to genlock.
I have an ATEM TVStudio. At the moment I will either hire genlockable ENG style cameras, or use a hodgepodge of genlock and frame synchronisers. I could express this as request for better compatibility with ATEM devices .. if it would work with my ATEM, I would have bought two.

I second this request. At least somehow output 1080i via the HD-SDI output, then it would work with the ATEM switchers.

Felipe Arruda

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 2:59 am

- 60fps
If you can be fair, at least 60fps @ 720p
If you can be reeealy nice, 60fps @ 2.5k and 120fps @ 720p Even if only in ProRes

I've tested a slowmotion in the test footage with Opticalflow:

- "Timelapse"

- Make compatible with Nikon lenses. Or at least allow Nikon glass (manual and AF-D) with a Nikon2Canon adapter Ring.

vuvuzella

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 5:22 am

Ok you asked: Run and gun blokes need:

1) Proper XLR audio or a way to adjust the input volume on the fly, a knob on outside of camera is all we need. Or an accessory that can act as a mini field mixer but the camera does all the recording. Need Sound Devices like quality, only one channel but just change it without having to hunt through menus.

2) Built in ND filters.

3) Micro 4/3 adaptor.

4) scope built into the camera - a waveform monitor is all i need :)

micklindquist

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 12:42 pm

Dual zebras
2K Prores (HQ)

derkiki

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 5:09 pm

I would love a Cineform RAW Codec in-Camera. Or another form of compressed RAW. Is this at all possible (like the SI-2k)?

taj

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 9:21 pm

My Wishlist:

1) Output 2.5K, 2K, and 1080p at 12bit 4:4:4 uncompressed through sdi
2) Output 1080p Raw
3) To be able to output Raw through sdi ( I don't know if it's possible but that would give an alternative for those of us who have to record Raw/uncompressed for long hours at a time nonstop).
4) 60fps or higher at all resolutions(2.5K, 2K, 1080p)
5) Micro 4/3 adapter
6) Genlock
Taj Williams

Patrick Finnegan

PostFri Aug 31, 2012 6:28 am

1)The new magic Lantern hack for the Canon 5d allows for pretty sophisticated HDR (High Dynamic Range) shooting, similar to what the Red Epic has. I suspect part of the reason that hackers could give the camera this ability is because it is essentially a stills camera. It works by allowing you to set different ISO's for alternating frames and then using post software to interpolate the frames into single images.
Since the BMCC (to my understanding) is essentially compiling 24 discrete jpegs per second it seems to me that the software engineers at Black Magic could provide that capability as well to the BMCC.
with the raw capacity in log mode and HDR the possibilities would be enormous for coverage of high contrast scenes we all run into, often without lights to compensate for the blown out windows and dark interiors.

2)I would really like to have the option to not have any external battery I plug in to charge the on board battery. I would anticipate that I would in general keep the on board at full charge and rely on external batteries, with the on board only for really stripped down light weight run and gun. Always charging the on board battery would needlessly tax the external batteries making it harder for me to estimate my energy needs for a day of shooting. If this could be an option you could turn off or on in the menu when you wanted it, that would be the most versatile.

#)and...as many others have said near the top of my wish would be 60fps progressive...even if it had to be a lower bitrate in a rec 709 setting
Last edited by Patrick Finnegan on Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Finnegan's Wake Films
Director/ Cameraman

muchskywoker

PostFri Aug 31, 2012 10:01 am

120fps at 720p with low codec.
i9 10980xe@5.0, 128GB, RTX-3090, Decklink mini monitor 4k,
media - RAID 0 4x samsung evo 970 plus 16TB, cache - samsung 960 pro 512GB, OS - samsung evo 970 256GB, archive 30TB+
Dali zensor 1 + Nad c315bee + dragonfly
Davinci Resolve 18.5, Windows 10

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostFri Aug 31, 2012 9:27 pm

I added this to the 1st post in the thread:

- Enable a feature similar to the Panasonic GH2's "Extra Tele Conversion" mode: A 1920 x 1080 pixel for pixel crop of the center of the BMCC's sensor, recorded as 1080p ProRes 422 HQ or DNxHD. This would extend the reach of any lens mounted on the BMCC. For example, the apparent focal length of an ultra-wide zoom lens such as the Sigma 11-16mm could be switched to approx. 14-21mm (?) at the push of a button, with few additional artifacts. (Might be a bit noisier?)

LRT

PostSat Sep 01, 2012 9:00 am

Great camera. There are a few things I'd like to see implemented. Most of these have been mentioned but I'd like to add my support for:

• On screen live audio metering

• Option to delete clips in camera (with a safety confirmation warning or menu lock)

• On camera histogram and waveform

• Ability to set a custom white balance using a white card when recording compressed formats

• Higher frame rates at 720p

• Timelapse function

Santeri Enstedt

PostSat Sep 01, 2012 9:48 am

When using electronic aperture with Canon or Zeiss ZE lenses there's no visual indicator what f-stop you have on camera screen? That would be crucial!! Please correct me if I have wrong information.
Also histogram and/or waveform on camera screen would be excellent.

paul schefz

PostSat Sep 01, 2012 8:53 pm

1fps or even slower....and of course anything faster would be nice as well (45fps, 60fps)....
activate AF and stabilization for lenses.....
in camera ssd format and delete....
on screen histogram overlay for DNGs....
show f-stop on screen....
4/3 or sony e-mount....

Christian

PostSun Sep 02, 2012 5:18 pm

For a firmware upgrade :
- Adding the CineForm Raw digital intermediate codec would be great.
- And the Blackmagic Cinema Camera must stay a cinema camera.
Keep the picture progressive. ( Deinterlacing is a lossy process and a real nightmare !)
The best way to deinterlace is not to interlace in the first place.
Yves Faroudja, the founder of Faroudja Labs and acclaimed expert in deinterlacing technology, advises against implementing interlaced services, commenting that "interlace to progressive does not work".
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:y8B9z1wMCVAJ:cgiv.dongseo.ac.kr/modules/board/download.php%3Fseq%3D682+&hl=de&gl=ch&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShVZdHeucwxRf-wHaOPyJ083AbVhkD3GZcFzPJuKGv3Xj60-ZATK0kxoQ_Y1Qb0Vcf4weGrhAcn51NGLSAZTSNTxQQ4vl3Q_osKcyP5m6Jh2c6dQ4SeuxDwao6v6Eln8phEkrW9&sig=AHIEtbSQf85789YPtAdo_PFsDRUuBBW36g
--------------------------
- Christian Kane Black

Iain Anderson

PostMon Sep 03, 2012 3:14 am

Adding a vote for:

- increased frame rates, even if only in ProRes
- decreased frame rates, to make a killer time-lapse recording device
- IS support
- 2.5K ProRes, to reduce the need to shoot RAW
- F-stops shown on the screen
- audio meters on screen
- histograms on screen
- on-camera file deleting, hidden behind enough warnings to make people feel comfortable

Jim

PostMon Sep 03, 2012 1:05 pm

Timelapse please - individual frame rates ( going down ) and more shutter control so we can make things go woosh would be nice..that should hopefully be a firmware thing :)
Next

Return to Cinematography