Resolve On New MacPro 10.9.3 GPU Memory Leaks

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Simon Blackledge

PostFri May 16, 2014 6:17 pm

FYI Upgraded to 10.9.3 on the new Mac Pro ( 2xD700's)

When renders finish or random times playing with blanking or ref wipes ui stays responsive but main window locks and so does the sdi output.

Can quit the app. Cannot restart machine. Needs a hard reboot.

S

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

Re: Resolve On New MacPro 10.9.3 GPU Memory Leaks

PostSat May 17, 2014 12:21 am

spacesimon wrote:FYI Upgraded to 10.9.3 on the new Mac Pro ( 2xD700's)

When renders finish or random times playing with blanking or ref wipes ui stays responsive but main window locks and so does the sdi output.

S

There are known OpenCL/Resolve stability issues with OS X 10.9.3 on the new Mac Pro with D700 GPUs. I would recommend going back to 10.9.2.
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Simon Blackledge

PostSat May 17, 2014 8:29 am

Thank for confirming Rohit. Have rolled back.

S

Josh Becker

PostMon May 19, 2014 1:47 pm

spacesimon, how did you roll back?

I just got my 2013 Mac Pro and shortly after setting everything up, I did the 10.9.3 update (without having a carbon copy backup of the 10.9.2 setup)...

Are Time Machine backups OS independent? I'm basically asking if I could connect a drive, do a Time Machine backup, then wipe the Mac Pro and restore content from Time Machine (or would this restore 10.9.3?)

I would prefer to have a rollback method that doesn't require me to completely wipe and reinstall all of my programs, plugins, extensions, fonts, etc.

Josh Becker

PostMon May 19, 2014 2:25 pm

Rohit Gupta wrote:

S

There are known OpenCL/Resolve stability issues with OS X 10.9.3 on the new Mac Pro with D700 GPUs. I would recommend going back to 10.9.2.

Are there plans to patch Resolve soon? Just wondering if I should roll back (without a backup, but it's a brand new computer, so the damage is minimal I support) or if I could wait for an update.

rick.lang

PostMon May 19, 2014 2:56 pm

Jshbkr, you don't mention how you have set your Time Machine options. If you completed a TM backup before the OS X 10.9.3 upgrade and had turned off TM, you would be likely fine to Erase and restore. But if TM has been running under 10.9.3, it won't help you go back to 10.9.2. You can't be that granular with a TM restore, although that would be a great new feature. Apple just doesn't let you gracefully load an older OS on your machine so you can only go forward, at least it didn't when I tried that a while ago.

In the future, one technique may be the easiest path to follow, but not ideal either. That is to boot from an external disk with two partitions. One partition, PROD, has a current OS such as 10.9.2 and when you do an upgrade you put that on the other barebones partition, TEST, for 10.9.3. Test critical applications on the TEST machine by booting from 10.9.3. If you run into trouble with the OS, reverting to an old OS is achieved by booting from the 10.9.2 partition. It's extra work to do those critical tests but a relatively painless way to go back. After your tests look good, update PROD with 10.9.3. PROD could be your internal flash boot disk on the Mac Pro. TEST could be an external drive just used for testing changes.

In practice it seems like Resolve is always a good candidate to TEST with a new OS before wholly committing to it.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Josh Becker

PostMon May 19, 2014 4:19 pm

rick.lang wrote:Jshbkr, you don't mention how you have set your Time Machine options. If you completed a TM backup before the OS X 10.9.3 upgrade and had turned off TM, you would be likely fine to Erase and restore. But if TM has been running under 10.9.3, it won't help you go back to 10.9.2. You can't be that granular with a TM restore, although that would be a great new feature. Apple just doesn't let you gracefully load an older OS on your machine so you can only go forward, at least it didn't when I tried that a while ago.

In the future, one technique may be the easiest path to follow, but not ideal either. That is to boot from an external disk with two partitions. One partition, PROD, has a current OS such as 10.9.2 and when you do an upgrade you put that on the other barebones partition, TEST, for 10.9.3. Test critical applications on the TEST machine by booting from 10.9.3. If you run into trouble with the OS, reverting to an old OS is achieved by booting from the 10.9.2 partition. It's extra work to do those critical tests but a relatively painless way to go back. After your tests look good, update PROD with 10.9.3. PROD could be your internal flash boot disk on the Mac Pro. TEST could be an external drive just used for testing changes.

In practice it seems like Resolve is always a good candidate to TEST with a new OS before wholly committing to it.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD

Thanks for the info, Rick. I actually just got the Mac Pro very, very recently, so I hadn't even attached ANY backup to it. I was set it up as a brand new computer so I had no documents, files, etc, that really needed backing up.

Of course I'm kicking myself for that now. Looks like I'll be wiping everything and spending a whole day redownloading and installing my stuff... Bummer. That is, unless someone from BlackMagic chimes in and says a patch is imminent...

rick.lang

PostTue May 20, 2014 4:16 pm

Now in the old days, in this situation, your restore of the old system would have been trivial since you would have the original software release on DVDs. Now everything in the Cloud can be a pain. Try booting from your internal Restore drive and see what level of OS you get. Can't recall for sure how this is achieved but it might be by booting as your hold down the S or R key the instant you hear the first boot chime. It's something simple like that.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Paul Provost

PostWed May 21, 2014 5:35 pm

S

I've been seeing this exact same behaviour for a while now on 10.9.2 on 2012 Mac Pro with 3 amd 280x (similar to d700) in cubix. Last time it seemed like tangent element lost control but could use keyboard to navigate, save, quit etc., but then yes have to hard reboot.
Paul Provost - colorist
Twitter: @4kfinish
www.4kfinish.com

Florian Gintenreiter

PostWed May 21, 2014 8:47 pm

I have the same issue 10.9.3. on a late 2013 MacPro with D700 cards. DaVinci hangs after rendering about halfway into the first clip of a sequence. Hard Reboot needed.
Blackmagic do you listen? What's the solution here?
Hardware: MacBookPro 16" 2021, M1 Max, 64GM Ram, Blackmagic Ultra Studio 4K mini, PreSonus 26c Audio Interface

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed May 21, 2014 9:36 pm

Hi, please roll back to 10.9.2 for now.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Josh Becker

PostThu May 22, 2014 3:27 pm

Update: I booted from the recovery partition (listed as 10.9.2 from the boot options), formatted the SSD and reinstalled. OS X booted up and I checked the version, 10.9.3... Son of a... No idea how that happened.

I had to torrent a copy of Mavericks 10.9.2 and use DiskMaker X to created a bootable USB stick. Then I was able to do a second format and install, which stuck to 10.9.2 this time.

Needless to say, I now have a 4TB Time Machine drive that will always be backed up and on standby during any future software updates.

Simon Blackledge

PostThu May 22, 2014 3:50 pm

Super Duper

Always have a clone of a fully working system.

Always do another clone prior to a Resolve update or OS update.

For the sake of a few 200Gig externals no brainer.

S

rick.lang

PostThu May 22, 2014 5:38 pm

jshbckr wrote:Update: I booted from the recovery partition (listed as 10.9.2 from the boot options), formatted the SSD and reinstalled. OS X booted up and I checked the version, 10.9.3... Son of a... No idea how that happened.

I had to torrent a copy of Mavericks 10.9.2...

Yes, when you reinstalled on the reformatted internal flash storage, you would have reinstalled 10.9.3. As you found out, you need to find a copy of 10.9.2 if you reinstall the OS. My thinking, which may have been in error, was that you would just run from the recovery disk, 10.9.2, until Resolve with OS X 10.9.3 is compatible. These fixes usually are relatively quick.

Glad you finally got back to 10.9.2. Wish Apple made it easier to install an older version but they always know what's best for you. <sarcasm>

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Dale Gold

PostFri May 23, 2014 10:32 pm

did anyone try updating Nvidia Cuda to 6.0.46 ? Just wondering if that solved any problems on 10.9.3

sean mclennan

PostTue May 27, 2014 5:07 pm

So how can I downgrade to 10.9.2 without destroying the changes I've done on my machine? All of my content is stored off machine, but my software/email and such are not backed up.

I haven't noticed any issues with PP CS6.

I *really* don't want to call ITS, as I had to convince them to buy me a MacPro instead of a PC...

I have 2 projects on deadline. This is the 3rd time an Apple update has burned me. Starting to doubt my allegiance!

Update:
Another open ticket with Apple here. I hope the figure out a patch quick...

Josh Becker

PostWed May 28, 2014 5:34 am

rick.lang wrote:
jshbckr wrote:Update: I booted from the recovery partition (listed as 10.9.2 from the boot options), formatted the SSD and reinstalled. OS X booted up and I checked the version, 10.9.3... Son of a... No idea how that happened.

I had to torrent a copy of Mavericks 10.9.2...

Yes, when you reinstalled on the reformatted internal flash storage, you would have reinstalled 10.9.3. As you found out, you need to find a copy of 10.9.2 if you reinstall the OS. My thinking, which may have been in error, was that you would just run from the recovery disk, 10.9.2, until Resolve with OS X 10.9.3 is compatible. These fixes usually are relatively quick.

Glad you finally got back to 10.9.2. Wish Apple made it easier to install an older version but they always know what's best for you. <sarcasm>

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD

The thing that confused me is that the "recovery partition" was labeled "OS 10.9.2", and its only purpose is to reinstall the OS (you can't actually run OS X from that recovery partition, it's created automatically by OS X and is essentially a copy of the install DVD on your hard drive.) So the recovery partition being labeled 10.9.2 means it should have installed 10.9.2. So yeah, basically I had to find a copy of 10.9.2, since I had no other way of booting into that version of the OS.

DG_Capture wrote:did anyone try updating Nvidia Cuda to 6.0.46 ? Just wondering if that solved any problems on 10.9.3

This is an issue related to the 2013 Mac Pro, so it doesn't have Nvidia cards. I don't think this would do anything.

sean mclennan wrote:So how can I downgrade to 10.9.2 without destroying the changes I've done on my machine? All of my content is stored off machine, but my software/email and such are not backed up.

I haven't noticed any issues with PP CS6.

I *really* don't want to call ITS, as I had to convince them to buy me a MacPro instead of a PC...

I have 2 projects on deadline. This is the 3rd time an Apple update has burned me. Starting to doubt my allegiance!

Update:
Another open ticket with Apple here. I hope the figure out a patch quick...

I learned a similar lesson: always have a backup of your computer that you can restore. Things like this have happened to me in the past and my new Mac Pro was so new that I hadn't taken this step yet. When you have a backup, you can even simply boot the OS straight from the backup. That way you don't even need to wipe the current buggy OS in the short term, you can just wait until they get the issue resolved. (no pun intended).

It's a pain in the ass to format/reinstall everything, seeing as I just had to do it. But that's really your only option if you don't have a 10.9.2 backup. I suppose you could always use SpeedGrade for those two projects...

sean mclennan

PostWed May 28, 2014 3:41 pm

Well, unfortunately, I have no control over this. The ITS dept doesn't have enough storage to provide me with a backup. Ridiculous right?! So one of my external Lacie drives died a year ago and we lost 2 years worth of my work, no one gave a damn and I'm still sitting here without a backup. They're working on it...working on it.

mattfezz

PostThu May 29, 2014 12:47 am

Argh I've had this problem too, but no time to revert back to 10.9.2.

I have found that rendering at 5-10 fps avoids the problem somewhat. Also premiere running in software rather than open cl avoids the issue when exporting from there.

I am just wondering if this is an apple issue or a blackmagic issue - ie should we be waiting on an update from apple or an update for resolve to fix it?

Lesson most definitely learnt regard OS updates...
Mac Pro 7,1 | 3.2Ghz 16 Core | 192GB RAM | Radeon Pro Vega II Duo, Radeon RX 6900XT | Ultrastudio 4K Mini
macOS 14.3.1 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 | Desktop Video 12.3.1

Robin Erard

PostTue Jun 03, 2014 12:59 pm

The problem is old... already on 10.9.2 here :

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19703&p=141731#p141731

Apple changed my two D700 one month ago... but even with 10.9.2 the problem occurred again today.

Robin
Robin Erard
www.rougegorge-postproduction.ch
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2831668/
Colorist, director, editor
Nord 13, 2300 La Chaux-de-Fonds
Switzerland

sean mclennan

PostThu Jun 05, 2014 2:51 pm

Has anyone got an update on this? I've tried Apple a few times. I have an open ticket with a "senior" tech support adviser, but have not had any movement or updates in 2 weeks.

It's getting pretty ridiculous having a $8K paperweight on my desk...

Also, did anyone else experience extreme high temps when encountering this issue? When I was on the phone with apple recreating the issue, the case on my Mac Pro got so hot I could barely touch it. Frankly, I'm a little worried that this issue might have caused damage to the rest of the unit. Apple has told me to wait....

Peter Fischer

PostThu Jun 05, 2014 7:18 pm

:oops: :o I have the same problem and I`m totally frustrated with the fact, that I don`t have the version OSX 10.9.2 to go back!
Now I can`t finis my projects!
I hope Blackmagic feels also responsible for the problem and helps to solve it!

sean mclennan

PostThu Jun 05, 2014 9:24 pm

I don't think this is a BM issue. Thee have been reports of other issues with the early machines with D700 cards. So I think it's entirely Apple's issue.

However, if BM could do a workaround, I would love a Resolve update :D

Tom Parish

PostThu Jun 12, 2014 2:03 am

Just received a new MacPro and it came with 10.9.3.

Resolve wedges (stops) and halts the entire machine requiring a hard reboot.

ugh. So disappointing.

Not sure how to rollback.

Ditto - when can we get a solution on this issue???

Tom Parish
Austin TX

Washington Irving

PostThu Jun 12, 2014 9:55 am

tparish wrote:Just received a new MacPro and it came with 10.9.3.

Resolve wedges (stops) and halts the entire machine requiring a hard reboot.

ugh. So disappointing.

Not sure how to rollback.

Ditto - when can we get a solution on this issue???

Tom Parish
Austin TX

I have the exact same issue! Just had my mac pro delivered. Spoke to apple and was told under no circumstances should I install a version of os x older than what came with my mac. I have the D500s and have the same problems as everyone else.
Any chance we could get an update on this? likely to be fixed soon? I have important work in the next 10 days and am freaking out about it. I bought the damn mac pro to have a more reliable and professional machine for grading and now I'm feeling punked.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 13, 2014 1:08 am

Hi guys, i'm not a liberty to explain detail but for now all we know and can say is 10.9.2 is ok and 10.9.3 shows the issue. There are reports on the web about a pending OS update that look promising.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Washington Irving

PostFri Jun 13, 2014 3:47 am

Is there anything that you can suggest we do? Those of us who can't roll back to 10.9.2?

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 13, 2014 2:07 pm

Washington Irving wrote:Is there anything that you can suggest we do? Those of us who can't roll back to 10.9.2?

If you have access to the developer program, you can try the latest 10.9.4 beta.
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Gorazd Koncar

PostFri Jun 13, 2014 9:34 pm

Hi,

I can confirm that there are no more memory leaks on the MAC PRO 6.1 with the D700 with the two of the latest 10.9.4 betas. Also the Nvidia Titan Black second DVI now works under dual DVI monitors on MAC PRO 3.1, 4.1 and 5.1 and the Thunderbolt 2 LG UM95 monitor the only Thunderbolt 2 monitor on the market also works under dual display desktop. Under the 10.9.3 the second DVI on Nvidia cards did not detect the second DVI monitor so the workaround was to use the Display port for the second connection or that you use the kext Nvidia files from the 10.9.2 release and the second Thunderbolt 2 LG UM95 display was also not detected under 10.9.3 which worked fine under 10.9.2, when both LG UM95 display were detected. Only the Thunderbolt Apple display was detected as the second display. I believe that the 10.9.4 final release shall be released soon to address all the issues.

Best regards,

Gorazd.

Peter Fischer

PostSat Jun 14, 2014 8:21 am

Rohit Gupta wrote:
Washington Irving wrote:Is there anything that you can suggest we do? Those of us who can't roll back to 10.9.2?

If you have access to the developer program, you can try the latest 10.9.4 beta.

I think you (Blackmagic) have access to the developer program like nobody have.
So what do you think or know, will the 10.9.4 update the solution for this terrible problem?
Please give a state no diplomatic answer!

Thanx!

Washington Irving

PostSat Jun 14, 2014 8:26 am

That's good times. Have you had any issues with the beta update besides Resolve? Worth taking a punt on?

Gorazd wrote:Hi,

I can confirm that there are no more memory leaks on the MAC PRO 6.1 with the D700 with the two of the latest 10.9.4 betas. Also the Nvidia Titan Black second DVI now works under dual DVI monitors on MAC PRO 3.1, 4.1 and 5.1 and the Thunderbolt 2 LG UM95 monitor the only Thunderbolt 2 monitor on the market also works under dual display desktop. Under the 10.9.3 the second DVI on Nvidia cards did not detect the second DVI monitor so the workaround was to use the Display port for the second connection or that you use the kext Nvidia files from the 10.9.2 release and the second Thunderbolt 2 LG UM95 display was also not detected under 10.9.3 which worked fine under 10.9.2, when both LG UM95 display were detected. Only the Thunderbolt Apple display was detected as the second display. I believe that the 10.9.4 final release shall be released soon to address all the issues.

Best regards,

Gorazd.

Gorazd Koncar

PostSat Jun 14, 2014 9:46 am

Hi,

The ethernet connection between PCs and Macs shall be superb,
no problems with the SMB2 and the interrupted connections.
The gigabit ethernet speed measured between the two Macs or between Mac and PC
with the Blackmagicdesign Disk Speed Test shall be around 108 MB per second and constant!
It shall really rock!
As you know under OSX 10.9.2 or 10.9.3 the gigabit ethernet connection speed was not so fast
and was in the similar range as the gigabit ethernet connection between two PCs!

Even the Thunderbolt bridge 30 m optical ethernet connection between two iMacs
or iMac and Mac Pro 6.1 shall be around 475 MB/s and constant
without any hiccups measured with BMDST!

Even the Avid Artist Color panel with the latest EUCON 3.1.2
shall work great without interruption with the Davinci Resolve 10.1.5!

Just wait for the OSX 10.9.4! No need that you downgrade to 10.9.2!

I believe that the final release of the 10.9.4 Mavericks OSX shall be the best OSX release ever!
Except of the OSX Yosemite which shall be even better!

Best regards,

Gorazd.
Last edited by Gorazd Koncar on Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Fischer

PostSat Jun 14, 2014 11:09 am

Gorazd wrote:Hi,

The ethernet connection between PCs and Macs shall be superb,
no problems with the SMB2 and the interrupted connections.
The gigabit ethernet speed measured between the two Macs or between Mac and PC
with the Blackmagicdesign Disk Speed Test shall be around 108 Mb/s per second and constant!
It shall really rock!
As you know under OSX 10.9.2 or 10.9.3 the gigabit ethernet connection speed was not so fast
and was in the similar range as the gigabit ethernet connection between two PCs!

Even the Thunderbolt bridge 30 m optical ethernet connection between two iMacs
or iMac and Mac Pro 6.1 shall be around 475 Mb/s and constant
without any hiccups measured with BMDST!

Even the Avid Artist Color panel with the latest EUCON 3.1.2
shall work great without interruption with the Davinci Resolve 10.1.5!

Just wait for the OSX 10.9.4! No need that you downgrade to 10.9.2!

I believe that the final release of the 10.9.4 Mavericks OSX shall be the best OSX release ever!
Except of the OSX Yosemite which shall be even better!

Best regards,

Gorazd.

Thank you very much for tis good news!
Do you have any information when apple will bring the 10.9.4 final?

Adam Simmons

PostSat Jun 14, 2014 2:52 pm

I assume those measurements should actually be MB/s (MegaBytes/second) rather than Mb/s (Megabits/second)
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

Gorazd Koncar

PostSat Jun 14, 2014 6:53 pm

Hi,

yes you are right the Blackmagic Design Speed test
only measures the data transfer rates in megabytes per second.
With Mbit/s it is normaly measured the internet speed.

Best regards,

Gorazd.

digitalmee

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 5:30 am

Installed 10.9.4 Pre-release (13E19) and all is well now. (Must have a developer license to get.) DaVinci Resolve no longer crashing / hanging my nMP.

Dillon McEvoy

PostWed Jun 25, 2014 12:57 am

10.9.4 beta and Davinci Resolve 11 beta produce the same memory leaks as 10.9.3. Same issue is back, always ending in having to shut the computer down manually. Hope someone has an idea of what is going on. I can't edit 4K raw at the moment!

Peter Fischer

PostWed Jun 25, 2014 1:48 pm

Here you can sign in and load the beta of 10.9.4

https://appleseed.apple.com/sp/betaprog ... wnload?d=y

Return to DaVinci Resolve