Firmware 1.8 Issues - official collection

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

JHinen

Re: Firmware 1.8 Issues - official collection

PostFri Jun 27, 2014 1:56 am

Upgraded to 1.8 on the BMPCC, and now the audio from the internal mic sounds like absolute rubbish, and it seems far worse than the "hiss" that other users seem to be reporting. Anyone else having this issue?
Sample: https://soundcloud.com/hinen/blackmagic ... 2118-c0001

Miguel Salinas

PostFri Jun 27, 2014 7:41 pm

I have this results with the samsung 840 Pro 256GB
Write: 178.1MB/s Read: 340MB/s
Thats why I think there is a problem with the update or the camera
Because I can do RAW recording without dropped frames and can't playback in camera

Jayson Rahmlow

PostFri Jun 27, 2014 8:23 pm

Looks like I still have the problem with 1.8 of the BMCC automatically powering back on when powered off and plugged in. Happens when plugged into battery or ac.
Jayson Rahmlow
Applejackfilms.com
Los Angeles

Marc Koecher

PostFri Jun 27, 2014 8:44 pm

I have a strange grid pattern that's visible on the built in BMCC display. Luckily it isn't recorded, but is more than a little distracting to look at. I had the apparently normal "post upgrade flicker" which went away, but this grid issue is hanging around.

Tarek Saneh

PostFri Jun 27, 2014 9:03 pm

I did some test with new Firmware no issue with camera at all, Prores is better, i didn't test the audio yet, still need the audio meters, i hope it will come the next update.
Tarek Saneh
Creative & Technical Director
http://www.wonderweb.ae
Dubai - UAE

Ricky Gonzalez

PostSun Jun 29, 2014 6:10 pm

Upgraded to 1.8 and my BMCC is showing FPN in low light scenes, actually you cab see that pro res at 800 ASA looks very bright now, and if i switch to video mode instead of film, the highlights go overblown immediately, revert to 1.4 and everything is normal, also after the update to 1.8 i could see some dead pixels present in the lcd screen (not in the video recorded) and when i revert to 1.4 they went away..
Ricky Gonzalez
RMX Studios - Director/Producer/Cinematographer
working in progress "Michoacano”
www.rmxstudios.com

BMPCC 4K & 6K Pro - Canon - Rokinon Cine - Sirui 24 35 & 50 Anamorphic
Mac Mini M2 Pro - Resolve 18

Richard Oakes

PostSun Jun 29, 2014 7:17 pm

Pocket camera drops frames in pro res playback on the camera, imported footage seems fine, but it's still an annoyance, and the purple griding from the pocket in highlights is now evident on my BMCC :(
Richard Oakes.

Marius Viggen

PostSun Jun 29, 2014 7:44 pm

RickyMaxx wrote:Upgraded to 1.8 and my BMCC is showing FPN in low light scenes, actually you cab see that pro res at 800 ASA looks very bright now, and if i switch to video mode instead of film, the highlights go overblown immediately, revert to 1.4 and everything is normal, also after the update to 1.8 i could see some dead pixels present in the lcd screen (not in the video recorded) and when i revert to 1.4 they went away..

I have also got the FPN now, with 1.8, and flickering, in low light. The image also is less sharp in prores.

Tom

PostSun Jun 29, 2014 7:53 pm

Would those reporting all these issues show some examples of the problem- if it can be demonstrated (less sharp Prores, FPN change etc)? would probably result in a more efficient troubleshooting process.
Tom Majerski
Colourist at Tracks and Layers
http://www.Tracksandlayers.com
Motion Graphics - Colour Grading - VFX

Juanjo Dominguez

PostSun Jun 29, 2014 8:25 pm

JHinen wrote:Upgraded to 1.8 on the BMPCC, and now the audio from the internal mic sounds like absolute rubbish, and it seems far worse than the "hiss" that other users seem to be reporting. Anyone else having this issue?
Sample: https://soundcloud.com/hinen/blackmagic ... 2118-c0001

I have the same issue. It seems like a 22.050 Hz resolution audio file. I send a test singing a little. As my voice is near the mics, the sound is not as bad as yours, but I think the lack of quality it's clear :) .
And I also get the skipping frames when playing in the camera.

I can't add an url but the youtube video can be searched looking for "Test audio Blackmagic Pocket firmware 1.8" and checking my name: Juanjo Dominguez.

Marius Viggen

PostSun Jun 29, 2014 8:27 pm

Tom wrote:Would those reporting all these issues show some examples of the problem- if it can be demonstrated (less sharp Prores, FPN change etc)? would probably result in a more efficient troubleshooting process.

I am going trough footage and trying to recreate some. It is my subjective feeling right now, that there
is more noise generally after 1.8, but I will have to recreate and try to match conditions as best I can, to be
certain.
I am sorry for not being very scientifically minded, and maybe shouting out to early.

Mac Jaeger

PostSun Jun 29, 2014 10:03 pm

Darkfable wrote:the purple griding from the pocket in highlights is now evident on my BMCC :(

I always guessed the pocket cams purple grid issue might stem from debayering - and now, after the cinema camera was updated to the same, improved debayering, you find the same problem there as well? That's kind of proving my thought...

Larry Price

PostMon Jun 30, 2014 8:09 am

I had a problem with the camera turning on after upgrading to v 1.8 on my bmpcc.
I have 7 batteries. All fully charged. After the update the camera first got flaky then flakier.
The camera would go on briefly then shut down, making a sound like a shutter clicking.
I managed to play around with an external battery and got the camera to go on and stay on.
Then when I shut the camera down, it wouldn't go back on. Just the brief flicker and click and a blank screen.
I contacted BlackmagicDesign support in the UK, since that's what was open when I needed assistance.
Support were very helpful.
Suggested the problem was with the socket of the camera, or with the battery housing.
Told me to send the camera back for replacement.
But before that, perhaps to roll back to v. 1.7
I first played around with different batteries, pushing buttons and praying, and got the camera to go on and stay on. While it was on:
I rolled back, by going to the BMD support page and downloading the v 1.7, uninstalling v1.8 and installing 1.7
And then everything worked just as it was supposed to work.
No problems.
Camera turns on and stays on.
I was advised to now upgrade again to v 1.8 since perhaps the last upgrade was flawed.
I declined to upgrade, so far.

It's a bummer to have that flicker, click, and shut down happen.
Larry Price
documentary filmmaker
Price Communications, Inc.
Jerusalem

kevinconder

PostMon Jun 30, 2014 8:35 am

if they've said they will replace the camera, why not upgrade to 1.8? All you have to lose is the time for them to send replacement, worst case. Best cast the update makes camera better.

You'll have the camera a long time, be strong.
Kevin Conder
On Broken Ground Films
http://vimeo.com/kevinconder/tunnel
http://www.onbrokenground.com/blog
http://vimeopro.com/kevinconder/portfolio

Bajt

PostMon Jun 30, 2014 11:13 am

BMPCC - problem with playback in prores - looks like dropped frames, footage is OK.

Rafael Molina

PostWed Oct 01, 2014 4:34 pm

¿Any news on the Blue Channel condition after these new updates on the BMCC 2.5K version? Thanks.
Rafael Molina
Independent Professional Filmmaker and Producer
Medellín – Colombia

BMCC EF
Reseller: Televisión y Video Digital Ltda.
Ordered: 28th january 2013
Arrived: 5th june 2013

Ricky Gonzalez

PostWed Oct 01, 2014 7:34 pm

Tom, you are the guru of the scientific tests, all i got is two shots with same lighting and conditions and i had to crank iso 1600 with the new firmware and the FPN was visible even in the screen, and in the screen its a mess.. old 1.6 is good even at 1800 iso, no FPN, im still filming but i revert to the old one, it is a beauty, do you think you can make some time and do some comparison tests.

thanks Tom, you are the reason i got into this board..
Ricky Gonzalez
RMX Studios - Director/Producer/Cinematographer
working in progress "Michoacano”
www.rmxstudios.com

BMPCC 4K & 6K Pro - Canon - Rokinon Cine - Sirui 24 35 & 50 Anamorphic
Mac Mini M2 Pro - Resolve 18

Rafael Molina

PostSat Oct 04, 2014 3:24 am

Any news will be welcome. Thanks.
Rafael Molina
Independent Professional Filmmaker and Producer
Medellín – Colombia

BMCC EF
Reseller: Televisión y Video Digital Ltda.
Ordered: 28th january 2013
Arrived: 5th june 2013

Eugene Davydov

PostSun Jan 24, 2016 12:59 pm

The sound quality of internal mics since 1.8 update is awful. Had to downgrade to 1.7 since this is the last usable update for me. I'd really wish the engineers at BM (in a future update) would make it possible to select the quality of internal microphones in the menu.

more_lemons

PostMon Dec 31, 2018 12:35 am

Everything is working pretty well (SD card issues with raw/HQ 4k but that's to be expected), except every now and then the display just disappears, like i can still see what I'm shooting/have shot, but I can't navigate through the clips or see any of the info on the display at the top or bottom of the screen (fstop, iso, WB, etc). Though the menu still works.

Turning it off and on doesn't work, but resetting camera settings does. It's frustrating.

Anyone had any similar problems?

Louie

rick.lang

PostTue Jan 01, 2019 3:02 am

If you accidentally swipe up or down on the LCD, that clears the screen so you only see your images. It’s a nice feature once you know how you’re shooting to avoid the clutter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

more_lemons

PostSun Jan 06, 2019 12:37 pm

rick.lang wrote:If you accidentally swipe up or down on the LCD, that clears the screen so you only see your images. It’s a nice feature once you know how you’re shooting to avoid the clutter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ahh, that's probably it. Cheers Rick, much appreciated
Previous

Return to Cinematography