Camera Shipping Update: 11/15

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Grant Petty

Blackmagic Design

Camera Shipping Update: 11/15

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 4:38 pm

Hi,

Here is another update on the camera shipments.

Some good news. If you have read my other posts about the causes of the camera delays then you know we have been dealing with a problem with our sensor supplier related to contamination of the glass that's bonded on the front of the sensor. It's not been clean and so we had to stop production of cameras.

There have been two issues here we have been dealing with, the first that the sensor supplier has not been able to see the contamination because their tests were not good enough, and secondly that they need to find a way of bonding the glass on the sensor without contamination.

The good news is that we got a small shipment of sensors that the sensor supplier had tested with their new test setup and they were all ok when we built cameras with them. This is good because they will now be able to see sensors that are contaminated and not ship us anything that's unable to be used to build a camera.

Also, the sensor supplier has done a small run of sensors at the new company that's bonding the glass and they got almost a 100% pass rate, which is also great. This means they finally have a solution to bonding on the glass that looks like it will work.

The plan at the moment is to do a small production run this week and we hope to get those sensors next week where we can build cameras using them and see how it all goes.

But things are looking quite good. This run of cameras next week will test the sensor supplier's ability to build sensors without contamination and to also be able to test them correctly so we only get good sensors. If that's all ok then we look like we will be able to move back into production.

I will update everyone next week when we know. I also hope to have more info on how fast they can ramp up with this new supplier and the new test.

I hope this update helps.

Regards,

Grant
Blackmagic Design

Tom

Re: Camera Shipping Update: 11/15

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 4:40 pm

Thanks Grant,

good to hear!

Let's hope its all good news from now on :-)

I know its company policy to not discuss numbers, but as you're the ceo...... any chance you could give us any info?
Tom Majerski
Colourist at Tracks and Layers
http://www.Tracksandlayers.com
Motion Graphics - Colour Grading - VFX

melissa lancaster

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 4:44 pm

AWESOME!! Thanks Grant.

Considering all the glass from here on out is good. Can we expect to get orders filled before
the end of the year?? :)

Luke Armstrong

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 4:44 pm

lancastemm wrote:AWESOME!! Thanks Grant.

Considering all the glass from here on out is good. Can we expect to get orders filled before

Yup. That's what we need to know now please!
Luke Armstrong - Digital Compositor
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4274789/

Lorenzo Straight

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 4:48 pm

Very good news. Thank you for the update, Grant. Question: How many cameras can BMD build when in full production?
MSI GS60 Ghost Pro-4K-605-2.7 GHz Intel Core i7-5700HQ (Broadwell)-16GB of 1600 MHz DDR3L RAM-1TB 7200 rpm HDD + 128GB M.2 SSD-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M GPU (6GB GDDR5)-15.6" UHD + 4K IPS Display-3840 x 2160
-Windows 8.1

Bill Brown

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 4:52 pm

Thanks for the update. Hope your efforts prove successful, dogged determination in the face of adversity is often the only way to get the job done. The grateful patient are behind you.

Zack Steffens

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 4:56 pm

lancastemm wrote:Can we expect to get orders filled before

A better question is if they can get the pre-ordered cameras built and passed before the end of the year. That's just six weeks away, and let's face it, the last few weeks of December are write-offs in terms of distribution (try to send a rush package to your granny the week before Christmas). If you live on the other side of the world and are many links down the distribution chain, I think it would be a miracle on 34th street if you got your camera by New Years'.

bhook

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 4:59 pm

Three questions this time:

1. What is a "small production run"?

2. What is the anticipated weekly production volume when you get "back into production"?

3. What is the reason you could not publish this update in the early part of this week as you said you would?

Felix Steinhardt

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 5:07 pm

That´s good and bad at the same time....
It means I´ll keep my order and go with the BMCC but it´s also very very unlikely to receive my camera this year. :cry:

Jeggintonfilms

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 5:12 pm

Thanks Grant.

To all others, whilst the news sounds positive there is little point in throwing these "shipment numbers" and "when will we get our cameras?" questions at Grant.

I too would love to know when I'll get my camera but we should know by now; he posts an update then makes a hasty exit to avoid answering our questions (which have been repeated time and time again)

Let's face it, that isn't going to happen.

Remaining hopeful.
Filmmaker & Camera-operator
www.jontyegginton.com

Note Suwanchote

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 5:12 pm

Anybody if the mft is still on track?
i might switch my preorder to that then
lightformfilm.com
vimeo.com/Suwanchote

Abobakr M. Alshiblie

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 5:14 pm

H A L L E L U J A H.. finally some good news to hear.. hopefully we can get our cameras before Christmas =D

Brian@202020

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 5:14 pm

Good news. Thanks Grant for the updates.

Luke Armstrong

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 5:17 pm

Jeggintonfilms wrote:Thanks Grant.

To all others, whilst the news sounds positive there is little point in throwing these "shipment numbers" and "when will we get our cameras?" questions at Grant.

I too would love to know when I'll get my camera but we should know by now; he posts an update then makes a hasty exit to avoid answering our questions (which have been repeated time and time again)

Let's face it, that isn't going to happen.

Remaining hopeful.

There might be little point, but if you don't ask you don't get.
Luke Armstrong - Digital Compositor
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4274789/

Jeggintonfilms

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 5:20 pm

Likewise if you do ask you don't get.
Filmmaker & Camera-operator
www.jontyegginton.com

bhook

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 5:27 pm

Not getting an answer has nothing to do with the legitimacy of the question. We ask it because we should...BMD doesn't answer and that is their choice. Answer or not, we learn something.

Michael Sandiford

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 5:30 pm

Excellent news.

Bill Rich

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 5:33 pm

Thanks for the encouraging update Grant! I look forward to receiving my camera!
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

Andrew Deme

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 5:45 pm

Excellent stuff....looks like I will get my Go Pro 3 next week and the BMC not too much after that.

lefty

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 5:47 pm

Good news! Thanks for the update.

Costa Louvieris

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 5:54 pm

Deja vu anyone?

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 5:56 pm

Hi Grant: Thanks for the update. Much appreciated. Here's hoping things continue to go well, and that you have more good news for us next time. A "move back into production" will be a wonderful thing to see! Cheers.

- Peter

Adam Farnsworth

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 6:00 pm

Fantastic news, thank you!

sean mclennan

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 6:14 pm

Excellent update Grant, Thank you.

I would appreciate it if in your next update (once things are sorted out and production is rolling) if you could indicated how long you think it will take to fill your outstanding orders.

Cheers
sean

bhook

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 6:21 pm

sean mclennan wrote:I would appreciate it if in your next update (once things are sorted out and production is rolling) if you could indicated how long you think it will take to fill your outstanding orders.

+1 That's a very good way of putting it.

Michael Beck

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 6:23 pm

Good stuff Grant! Glad to see things moving forward!
------------
-Michael Beck

Andy Smith

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 6:24 pm

Can't share the optimism of many here. Ideally they can start to mass produce last week of November for 2/3 weeks before they shut down for the Christmas holidays. I imagine things wouldn't pick up again until after the beginning of the new year! This all based on things going as hoped, and as we've seen things haven't gone as hoped for this project at all.

Andrew Deme

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Andy Smith wrote:Can't share the optimism of many here. Ideally they can start to mass produce last week of November for 2/3 weeks before they shut down for the Christmas holidays. I imagine things wouldn't pick up again until after the beginning of the new year! This all based on things going as hoped, and as we've seen things haven't gone as hoped for this project at all.

I think we are all positive because BMD are starting to get good sensors which is a fundamental change from where they have been.

Costa Louvieris

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 6:46 pm

Andrew Deme wrote:
Andy Smith wrote:Can't share the optimism of many here. Ideally they can start to mass produce last week of November for 2/3 weeks before they shut down for the Christmas holidays. I imagine things wouldn't pick up again until after the beginning of the new year! This all based on things going as hoped, and as we've seen things haven't gone as hoped for this project at all.

I think we are all positive because BMD are starting to get good sensors which is a fundamental change from where they have been.

Andrew, Grant said the same thing a few weeks back and we all know how that turned out!

Andrew Deme

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 7:02 pm

Yeah that is partly true, although I think BMD and I are more confident now because the manufacturer is able to test the sensors before they are shipped.

Anyway I can't see any point in doing anything other than cheering BMD on as it's not like there is anything else worth buying for the same price.

Taikonaut

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 7:05 pm

The update is welcome news in part because it is optimistic, however not so optimistic is the numbers. It is going to be "small" and at that pace for the great majority of us are unlikely to get their cameras until well into next year. Grant's update has confirm something and that actual production has not happened yet, so the very smalll numbers of cameras being sent out to customers so far are from the same run as the demo stock that was given to bloggers a couple of months ago.

I won't be cheering them just yet until I get mine and I'm number 2 with the MFT.
Last edited by Taikonaut on Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Taikonaut

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 7:09 pm

Andrew Deme wrote:I think we are all positive because BMD are starting to get good sensors which is a fundamental change from where they have been.

Err, less of the "we" pale face :lol:

A cautious welcome is more closer to the mark given that many people felt let down repeatedly with questions still unanswered.

GregGreenhaw

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 7:18 pm

Grant did you look into this sensor at all?
http://www.cmosis.com/products/standard ... s/cmv12000

Its been around for a while and production is most likely more stable.
Why not hit the ball out of the park?

Also any chance for BM to make a smart m4/3 mount
with a m4/3 to eos adapter in the future since you already
have the eos electronics engineered?
Last edited by GregGreenhaw on Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Weathersby

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 7:20 pm

Its fine if small means that I get my camera. ;)

Tom Sefton

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 7:24 pm

Tom Sefton
Owner
Pollen Studio
www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Andrew Deme

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 8:04 pm

Taikonaut wrote:
Andrew Deme wrote:I think we are all positive because BMD are starting to get good sensors which is a fundamental change from where they have been.

Err, less of the "we" pale face :lol:

A cautious welcome is more closer to the mark given that many people felt let down repeatedly with questions still unanswered.

Might have to go work on my tan....

Soeren Mueller

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 8:23 pm

Pollenstudio wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZGmeg23ICQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

loooool.. perfect! :twisted:

Tom Sefton

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 8:34 pm

Where in Dusseldorf are you Soeren?

I produce quite a few AV projects at exhibitions around Europe and come to Dusseldorf a lot - I was there for 5 weeks for Drupa earlier this year. We stayed at a hotel in Oberkassel and then out in an excellent hotel in Meerbusch called Gut Dyckhof. Love the city - some great places to eat and drink. Unfortunately I spend most of the time in the Messe though!
Tom Sefton
Owner
Pollen Studio
www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Chip Bobbert

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 9:05 pm

Great!

But I still don't know why an announcement was made at NAB that they would ship in July before BMD even figured out how they were going to manufacture the things or had parts on hand...and why every new BMD product seems to miss it's launch date by 6-12 months. I can't wait to heckle BMD reps at NAB next year when they announce their new products. I mean seriously, did you hire your head of development from the Duke Nukem team?

taapo

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 9:06 pm

Costa wrote:Andrew, Grant said the same thing a few weeks back and we all know how that turned out!

Hey Costa, you back with your pessimistic view on the world? Hopefully this pessimism won't trickle down in the products you make for the educational sector - it would be a shame if children caught the same attitude somehow.

Before you tell me I'm a bully, I sincerely hope that you check the mirror, as you constant whining can be categorized as the same, but different. You make other people's life miserable, and I will keep pointing it out until you stop whining and start contributing.

Whatever BMD does, you can't stop complaining - I suppose you will still be around to whine after shipping starts again. Please go away, and crawl back from wherever you came - and let other people be thankful that progress is being made towards finally getting a dream-camera in their hands.

Jesuan Soriano

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 9:22 pm

taapo wrote:
Costa wrote:Andrew, Grant said the same thing a few weeks back and we all know how that turned out!

Hey Costa, you back with your pessimistic view on the world? Hopefully this pessimism won't trickle down in the products you make for the educational sector - it would be a shame if children caught the same attitude somehow.

Before you tell me I'm a bully, I sincerely hope that you check the mirror, as you constant whining can be categorized as the same, but different. You make other people's life miserable, and I will keep pointing it out until you stop whining and start contributing.

Whatever BMD does, you can't stop complaining - I suppose you will still be around to whine after shipping starts again. Please go away, and crawl back from wherever you came - and let other people be thankful that progress is being made towards finally getting a dream-camera in their hands.

Hahahahahahahahhahahahahah
Jesus Soriano

Tom Sefton

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 9:24 pm

taapo wrote:

Let's just try and stay respectful towards each other. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion - no matter what it is. Until people start getting personal with each other, this forum should be somewhere all are welcome.

Costa doesn't make me miserable - it's pixels on a screen that I can ignore. Get some perspective.
Tom Sefton
Owner
Pollen Studio
www.pollenstudio.co.uk

taapo

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 9:38 pm

Pollenstudio wrote:Costa doesn't make me miserable - it's pixels on a screen that I can ignore. Get some perspective.

Complainers like Costa should get a cookie of their own dough, and that's what I'm giving him. Forgiving or ignoring him won't help, so just like he has his opinion, it's my opinion that he should just stop complaining and polluting this forum. If it helps you, like someone pointed out before - you can always use the friends & foes list for me. Too bad that you'll see both Costa's whining and my reaction through quotes of others. Wish it wasn't this way ...

Bill Rich

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 9:40 pm

greggreenhaw writes..
Grant did you look into this sensor at all?
http://www.cmosis.com/products/standard ... s/cmv12000

I'm no engineer, but that looks like an impressive sensor! Do you know if it's already being used in a production camera?
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

nevsvanlooy

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 10:10 pm

mhood wrote:
sean mclennan wrote:I would appreciate it if in your next update (once things are sorted out and production is rolling) if you could indicated how long you think it will take to fill your outstanding orders.

+1 That's a very good way of putting it.

+1 exactly: we have the right to ask why they sold us a product in April with the promise of a delivery in July while they couldn't even start production untill now....great marketing but this kind of strategy can really blow up in your face, or it should... probably I'll have to wait another 3 months...

PS Costa & Taapo or Toopa.... GET A ROOM!!!
www.nevsvanlooy.be

Costa Louvieris

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 10:23 pm

taapo wrote:
Pollenstudio wrote:Costa doesn't make me miserable - it's pixels on a screen that I can ignore. Get some perspective.

Complainers like Costa should get a cookie of their own dough, and that's what I'm giving him. Forgiving or ignoring him won't help, so just like he has his opinion, it's my opinion that he should just stop complaining and polluting this forum. If it helps you, like someone pointed out before - you can always use the friends & foes list for me. Too bad that you'll see both Costa's whining and my reaction through quotes of others. Wish it wasn't this way ...

Sorry, who are you again? I've honestly forgotten!

Nick Bedford

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 10:28 pm

Taikonaut wrote:The update is welcome news in part because it is optimistic, however not so optimistic is the numbers. It is going to be "small" and at that pace for the great majority of us are unlikely to get their cameras until well into next year. Grant's update has confirm something and that actual production has not happened yet, so the very smalll numbers of cameras being sent out to customers so far are from the same run as the demo stock that was given to bloggers a couple of months ago.

I won't be cheering them just yet until I get mine and I'm number 2 with the MFT.

They have been getting a small percentage of good sensors and sending them out. They already said this.
Nick Bedford, Photographer
http://www.nickbedford.com/

Dustin Svehlak

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 10:31 pm

taapo wrote:

BIG +1
www.voltaicvideo.com
www.vimeo.com/voltaicvideo

Costa Louvieris

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 10:36 pm

Voltaic wrote:
taapo wrote:

BIG +1

BIG -1... We're at zero again ladies and gents! Anymore immature takers to carry on the silly bullying cause? No? Let's move on then...

David form BMCUSER

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 10:44 pm

Huge divide by 3
Next

Return to Cinematography