XML Roundtrip Problems - Resolve to Premiere CS6

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

LaurenceL

XML Roundtrip Problems - Resolve to Premiere CS6

PostSun Nov 04, 2012 8:57 pm

I am having a hard time doing an XML roundtrip from Premiere Pro CS6 to and back from Resolve Lite 9. Would really appreciate any help.

Have tried everything in the manual and dozens of ideas posted around the wen have made virtually no progress.

The manual says Resolve can work with speed changes, but those didn't work upon import. If I remove the speed changes in Premiere before exporting, then the timeline comes in and plays properly in the Resolve timeline. I can then grade the timeline.

But when I export, none of the dissolves or opacity changes (creating layered composite effects) are sent back to Premiere via the XML export and re-import process -- all of these effects are stripped out and only hard cuts are left (the effects are not baked in either, they are not present at all).

Would love any advice on sending the XML timeline back to Premiere CS6 and keeping the opacity changes and dissolves intact.

Thanks!

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: XML Roundtrip Problems - Resolve to Premiere CS6

PostMon Nov 05, 2012 12:48 am

Hi, are you using Resolve 9.0.3, if not could you upgrade and check again?
Peter
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

LaurenceL

PostMon Nov 05, 2012 2:17 am

Thanks Peter. Yes, I'm running Resolve 9.0.3lite.009

I'm really stuck here, but am determined to grade with Resolve. Thanks for your help.

danielschweinert

PostSat Nov 10, 2012 4:03 pm

Im also having problems with CS6 XML roundtripping especially reframing & resizing just doesnt work.

But I've found a solution by not exporting an XML at all from Resolve.

1. Im grading the master timeline and render out my ProRes422 footage incl. audio (with the same filenames into a new directory).

2. I rename my original Premiere footage directory to something different. Now when I open my Premiere timeline it can't find the clips and I just point it to the graded directory with the same filenames.

3. It opens perfectly and I have all sizing, reframing, effects, speed changes... like before.

Hope that helps.

mattbatt

PostWed Nov 14, 2012 8:02 pm

Daniel, I am using v 9.03 and sizing / re-framing in PPro CS 5.5 or CS 6 is just a complete fail. I was thinking about your solution - will resort to that unless Blackmagic can help me out?

I've tried all options with sizing issues, no luck.

LaurenceL

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 5:58 am

After discussing with tech support, it seems a solution to the XML roundtrip is coming in 9.0.4 -- they are addressing this specific issue.

Daniel, I have tried your method but with the XML import into Resolve and then the ProRess422 export of the graded, the graded clips are cut shorter than the original clips (based on the timeline edit). So Premiere CS6 is recognizing that they are different and not importing them in when I use the same directory name & filename with the graded ProRes clips (says it can;t find the clips). Any tips on getting Premiere to treat the new clips the same as the old and load them? Thanks!

danielschweinert

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 11:28 am

Hi LaurenceL,

you have to render the "Master Timeline" - change it in the delivery section. This way you export the full clips that are 1:1 identical in length with the ones from premiere. You also have to checkmark "Render Audio" if the clips in Premiere have audio in them. Have done it with my projects in CS6 and it works 100%.

Though the disadvantage by rendering the Master Timeline is that it will take longer and you will get huge files because it renders the whole clips.

Hope they fix this huge weakness soon. XML roundtripping in theory sounds good but in realworld conditions is a major PITA. Multicam from CS6 in the XML is also not recognized by DaVinci Resolve.

mattbatt

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 6:17 pm

About the huge files, what about this solution: In PPRO, use media manager to conform the edited media, save that to a directory, then export XML, bring these now cut clips into Resolve, then export.

Maybe leave 2 seconds tails on the clips.

My current short 10 minute will go from 56 GB to around 12 GB using this.

danielschweinert

PostMon Nov 19, 2012 9:17 pm

Yes that works great with ProRes & Avid DNxHD but not with "long GOP" footage like footage from a 5D Mark III

mattbatt

PostTue Nov 20, 2012 2:51 am

What happens? Does PPro not handle that footage right? Cause I have the 5dmkII. Wouldn't it simple be cutting the footage according to what you use in the timeline?

danielschweinert

PostWed Nov 21, 2012 5:47 pm

Premiere can't trim long GOP footage through the Project Manager. It always takes the full clips when you try to consolidate the project.

Everything would be perfect if "XML" just worked like it was meant to be. BMD and Adobe should work hand in hand and implement something like an export to DaVinci project for Premiere - or maybe a plugin... just thinking out loud.

Return to Post Production