ATEM TVS to Ustream

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

i.Live

ATEM TVS to Ustream

PostTue Nov 20, 2012 1:26 am

I am not a tech person, but I need to do this if I want to continue with my stream programs.
I purchased an atem tvs for the sole purpose of being able to stream live programs to my ustream channel.
However being a non tech person i only now realize that the workflow is not as easy as i thought it would be- for me at least.

i can now operate the tvs/ multi-cam and I am slowly learning the switcher which i believe i can eventually sort of master for a simple live switching.

BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO TO BE ABLE TO STREAM - USTREAM
guys this is what i encounter
1. testing my consumer hd cameras (for testing) with hdmi outputs the cameras shuts down every 3-5 minutes.
2. one macbook connected to tvs does not allow me to use it for internet
3. i have audio mixers fine and inputs to usb with ustream producer app i guess this could work
4. how do I stream my output to Ustream??? Do i need a separate computer for the internet?

ATEM TVS IS A WONDERFUL SYSTEM-- but I need to use it for Ustream or it will just be a set up to record live events and program and this is not what my intentions are.

Kindly Help-- simple tech terms if possible:-)

thanks
crispo

Hakon Oddsson

Re: ATEM TVS to Ustream

PostTue Nov 20, 2012 7:26 am

Hi Crispo I just had the same problem and this is my solution.

First my consumer camereas only output 720p via HDMI. To connect to Ustream I use Intensity Extreme connected to Mac with Thunderbolt put I guess you need a Ustream ProducerPro for HD.

I connect the video out from ATME via HDMI to Intesnity and then the audio from external audio mixer into Intensity via multicaple as my mixer does not support the Euro input in the ATEM (I have also gone line in from audio mixer into one of the cameras as now we have a Audio mixer built in ATEM TV).

This simply works :-)

Hakon

Liam Kennedy

PostTue Nov 20, 2012 7:38 am

Crispo

Unfortunately despite not being a techy person you need to get the basics of LAN setup first. You don't connect the MAC direct to the ATEM. You connect BOTH into a switch or router. You have to configure the ATEM with a static IP address that is compatible with your LAN setup.

When you have that worked out - then you can begin to work on getting your MAC to also stream to Ustream.

Now.. I'm a windows/pc person... so in that world the most commonly used way to stream to Ustream would be using a third party product called MXLight. This takes the H.264 output from the TVS on USB2 and sends that out to whatever streaming provider you want.

I don't know of something similar for the MAC. Does UStream Producer support the TVS in that way? I know the Livestream Producer software does support the TVS via USB2 (at least on Windows).

You may need to get a thunderbolt capture device from (Intensity Shuttle?) to get the HDMI program out in to your Macbook in a way that UStream Producer can see the output.

Good luck
EDIT: Just addressed this to Crispo (the original poster) so as to make sure anyone posting after me knows I am not the one requesting help here.
Last edited by Liam Kennedy on Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Hakon Oddsson

PostTue Nov 20, 2012 8:19 am

Liam

If you close the Airport on the Mac you only need a USB2 cable and a Ethernet cable to connect to ATME TV.

Then you need another Mac with Thunderbolt fro the Streaming. Ustream does see the Intensity Extreme card as a camera.

Do not know if it is possible to use only one Mac both for mixing and streaming but with Intensity Extreme no need for MXLight (it is only for PC anyway).

Hakon

Liam Kennedy

PostTue Nov 20, 2012 8:29 am

Hakon

Please re-read entire thread. I don't need any help. The original poster needs the help. I think your ideas will help though.

It should be entirely feasible for a MAC to both stream and control the ATEM.

And... yes... I know MXlight is for the PC only... and my post made that clear.

I am a PC user. OK?

Hakon Oddsson

PostTue Nov 20, 2012 10:23 am

Liam i know you do not need help but your solution was for PC, Livestream and MXLight. Crispo as I understand has Mac and Ustream so your info is not a solution for him. It can be confusing to get advise that is pointing to a platform or solutions that are not in discussion. If you go to Ustream webpages the Intensity Extreme is what they recommend.

https://ustream.zendesk.com/entries/215 ... am#capture
Last edited by Hakon Oddsson on Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Liam Kennedy

PostTue Nov 20, 2012 10:31 am

Thanks so much for clarifying your note addressed to me was not actually for me.

Along with my reference to PC based solutions... I also referenced other elements that should help the original poster with things he was looking for.

Unless the original poster cannot understand english I am sure he will realize that when I mention PC based elements I am doing that to help clarify certain ways of connecting with the ATEM TVS - and this may in fact help him find a solution that works.

Good job we are all here trying to help one-another.

Hakon Oddsson

PostTue Nov 20, 2012 2:10 pm

Right the important thing is to find solutions that work and my little daughter wants to add some smiling symbols... and good luck Crispo...

:mrgreen: :D :D :) ;) :( :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol: :x :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :geek: :ugeek:

i.Live

PostThu Nov 22, 2012 7:12 am

FIRST OF ALL LET ME THANK MR. HAKON & LIAM FOR THE RESPONSE.
SORRY IF I HAD THE TRAFFIC MIXED UP A BIT--my apologies to you both.

OK SO FAR I THINK I KNOW WHAT MY PROBLEM IS HERE...
I will try all recommendations surely.

I will need a bit of time to TRY IT AGAIN.
I have asked my Canon dealer friend to bring an xf 105 and xa10 video cam to test with both HDMI and SDI output.

I THINK THIS IS WHERE I NEED TO START--

1. THE ATEM TVS SWITCHER-- work on broadcast cameras for both connectors/ see if by chance it will not "shut down" like i experienced with our home digicams with HDMI connections.
HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCE THIS ? MY CONNECTIONS WITH 2 CAMS (consumer digicam & a zoom HQ2- connected via HDMI) "SHUTS DOWN (BLACKS OUT and shuts down my cameras one after another within the 3 to 5 minute timeframe. ALL THE TIME. (possible hardware concern??)
IF I CAN SOLVE THIS BY TRYING IT OUT WITH THE HIGHER BROADCAST CAM --IM GOOD.

** now i have turned off the air wifi con on my mac and I got the TVS working just fine
TVS---MAC---PROGRAM OUTPUT HDMI to a TV monitor

2. ATEM TVS TO USTREAM.
AS soon as im good with the switcher and my cameras I will then continue to work with your suggestions on connections--
I live inManila and the closest BLACKMAGIC purchase is in Singapore or Thailand.
I would need to find out if I REALLY DO NEED THE intensity pro?
Re the USB 3.0 connector and thunderbolt i can work it out here in Manila,

Will get back to you guys and I hope to hear from you again too.

Wish me luck!

Ciao guys
:D

Liam Kennedy

PostThu Nov 22, 2012 7:43 am

Are you saying your home "digicams" shut down... or is it the video feed from them shuts down?

A common issue with "home" digicams is they will shut down automatically if they are not in recording mode and they are running off battery. The solution is to plug them in to the A/C mains using a power adaptor.

i.Live

PostThu Nov 22, 2012 10:49 am

Liam

i have 2 home digicams inexpensive with hdmi outputs
Both have sufficient batteries-later tried it with power supplied.

Both would shut down after around 3 to 5 min period.
first i thought it was an hdmi issue, fixed connections but still "shuts off".

I am to test it with an xa 10 in about 12 hours will see if it happens again.

my program(monitor) simultaneously will of course go black. I tried turning it back on and the monitor and camera will come to life --then minutes after Zonks! shuts off. weird! Im wondering if it is the low voltage power of hdmi cables??? i am in a blank.

but i will get back to you soonest after the next round of tests.

thanks Liam

Crispo

Liam Kennedy

PostThu Nov 22, 2012 12:52 pm

This has nothing to do with how much battery you have. Many digicams will auto power off if you are not recording after a few minutes and they are running off battery. You have to plug the cameras in to A/C power.

ANd just to be clear. When you say they are "Shutting Down" - you do mean they are powering down right? You have to press the power button on the camera to have them come back on again?

But... as you said you have tried it with them plugged in to A/C power then it is not that. Maybe there is some option in the menu to disable this feature. What exactly is the make/model of your camera?

However... the ATEM has nothing to do with when a camera will shut down.

Are you CERTAIN you had them plugged in to a power adaptor that was working? It really really does sound like they are just powering down automatically.

Do another test. Do not connect them to the ATEM, Running off battery. Leave them on for a while. DO they shut down then?

i.Live

PostThu Nov 22, 2012 5:09 pm

Liam,

Yes I test broadcast with both cameras and they dont shut off WHEN NOT CONNECTED TO ATEM, THE SHUT OFF i meant ALL POWER OFF- I HAD TO RESTART THEM TO FIRE UP AGAIN.
MY DIGICAM-- CHINA MADE HD DIGICAM (GENERIC, this unit I can understand would probably konk off but ALONE UNCONNECTED IT IS FINE. The other a ZOOM hq2 full HD pretty awesome recorder cam in one (again it stands a whole evening of steady stream without the ATEM. *note--during the stand alone use the connector to my mac via USB 2.o straight on to Ustream Producer encoder for broadcast.

Whew, well less than 8hrs for the next test. As promise , ill get back to you guys.

Thanks again mate.

Crispo

Liam Kennedy

PostThu Nov 22, 2012 5:13 pm

Yeah... sounds something is totally faulty with those cameras then. There is absolutely nothing going on with the ATEM that should cause any connected camera to power off.

i.Live

PostFri Nov 23, 2012 5:44 pm

Liam,

Xa 10s did well and did not shut off. However it took a while for the signal from the camera to be read by the system but hey you are right-- it was the cameras. Generic made digicam/ and the Zoom Hq2 (w/c is by the way is still a fantastic camera to use if youre mobile and want to capture hd & good audio with a unit in batteries in your shirt pocket :)

xa 10 beyond the tiny hdmi output (i felt was just too bulky for the small cam/ crammed on its sides where the hand held strap is) WAS A GOOD TEST THAT THE ATEM TVS IS WORKING JUST GREAT!

NOW NEXT FOR ME TO DEAL WITH--
the Ustream feed from my ATEM.
I never knew that I was going to need a converter (Intensity Xtreme) to be able to complete the workflow. Had I known earlier I could have asked MOTION MEDIA in CA. to have bundled it-- well Im getting there.

I SHALL BE BACK TO KEEP YOU GUYS POSTED ON MY DEVELOPMENTS for sure.
Again my SINCERE THANKS TO YOU GUYS FOR THE WONDERFUL HELP AND YOUR TIME.

CIAO
crispo mojica
http://www.iifa.ph

Return to Live Production