Intensity installation problem (Help please) - SOLVED!

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

AndyGandy

Intensity installation problem (Help please) - SOLVED!

PostMon Nov 19, 2012 8:31 pm

Hello!

First of all let me apologise for my poor english language knowledge but I still study it.

Just recieved my Intensity Pro card. But I have some problems during the installation. Possibly you can give me the answer and I will try to describe my problem here.

Shortly I cannot use Intensity as output video device in my AfterEffects (its my primary goal). It just missed in the output device list.
Premiere Pro is "blind" with Intensity too. It can't see the card.

System specs: PC, Win 7 x64, Adobe CS6 installed in custom directory "F:\Adobe\"

My step by step actions:

1. Intensity Pro is intstalled into my PCie slot
2. Connected via HDMI cable to my monitor.
3. Monitor is turned into HDMI input mode.
4. Starting the system. Windows found new harware but says that cannot find any driver for it.
5. Inserting the DVD disk from Intensity box.
6. Installing Desktop Video Windows (ver. 9.6.5) from that disk.
7. During the installations system find the drivers and I say "agree" to install it.
8. After installation I restarted my computer by pressing "Yes" button in the installation dialog box.
9. After restarting I started my AE or Pr but I have no options to select the Inensity card in my output device list. Just "Computer Monitor only" and "IEEE 1394" in that list displayed.

Meanwhile I can export to Blackmagic card from Photoshop easy and picture looks fine on the control display.

I looked into C:\Program Files (x86)\Blackmagic Design\Blackmagic Desktop Video folder and I see some additional plug-ins for Adobe programs. Such a Premiere Support and Photoshop Support and even Fusion Support but I cant see folder named AfterEffects support. Why? Where I had a mistake? Help me please.

With best regards, Andy.
Last edited by AndyGandy on Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kaspar Ko

Blackmagic Design

Re: Intensity installation problem (Help please)

PostTue Nov 20, 2012 1:06 am

Hello Andy,

The reason why the card is not seen by the application is because you have installed Adobe into a custom location. Please follow the guide below and copy the correct plugins and files to your installation and that should allow the card to function. This is where they are installed by default so make sure that these files are copied to your custom installation location.

There is one file that MUST be copied to the default location on the C: drive so please be aware of that.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Code: Select all
Location of BMD plug-in files:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Blackmagic Design\Blackmagic Desktop Video\Premiere Support\6.0

This folder contains all the plug-ins needed to manually install Desktop Video into Premiere. There are also two zip files containing the presets, one for Decklink Series and one for Intensity Series. Extract the set appropriate for you. Once extracted you will have two additional folders called Settings and MediaIO

Copy the plug-in files listed below into the following location:
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plugin-ins\CS6\MediaCore (this is the default Install location, if your is different copy these files to your install location).

BMDDeviceControl.prm
    BMDImport.prm
    BMDExport.prm
    BMDRecord.prm

Copy the plug-in file listed below to the following location:
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plugin-ins\CS6\MediaCore

BMDTransmit.prm (CS6 only) - MUST reside in the above location. It's location will be the same regardless of your install path.

Copy the Editing Mode file listed below to the following location:
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS6\Settings\Editing Modes

Blackmagic Editing Mode.xml

Copy the Preset Folders listed below into the following folders:
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS6

MediaIO (copy entire folder)
    Settings (copy entire folder)
Kaspar Ko
Support Representative
Blackmagic Design USA

AndyGandy

PostTue Nov 20, 2012 7:58 am

Dear Kaspar Ko!
Your guide helped me launch Premiere Pro with my Intensity successfully!
Thank you a lot for that!

But AfterEffects still can't find your card in the video output device list. Is there any files that I can move to some folders to make it work?

With best regards, Andy.

AndyGandy

PostTue Nov 20, 2012 1:42 pm

^^ up

Kaspar Ko

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 20, 2012 3:50 pm

Hmm...I'll have to check if there is anything special we need to copy for AE. I do know that Quicktime needs to be installed on the machine for the preview from AE to work. And in previous versions there was a QTX file that needed to be moved as well. I'll have to double check on this part for you where it belongs now.

In the meantime, install Quicktime and re-install our drivers. I'll find out about the AE plugin.
Kaspar Ko
Support Representative
Blackmagic Design USA

AndyGandy

Re: Intensity installation problem (Help please) - RESOLVED!

PostTue Nov 20, 2012 4:39 pm

Dear Kaspar Ko!

Thak you very much for the help and fast response!

Reinstalling Quicktime software was not helpful because I had installed version already. BUT!
I found your idea about the .qtx file very exciting and I maked a little investigation. By default Intensity's installation copied the file named BlackmagicCodec.qtx into next Quicktime directory:

F:\QuickTime\QTComponents\

Then I maked a copy of BlackmagicCodec.qtx file into directory:

F:\QuickTime\QTSystem\

After that manipulations AfterEffects found the Intensity card and stream my composition to control display successfully!

Thank you again and again for quick help! You are the best!

With regards, Andy.

Kaspar Ko

Blackmagic Design

Re: Intensity installation problem (Help please) - SOLVED!

PostWed Nov 21, 2012 12:52 am

Just to follow up, Quicktime is required for AE preview and here is where you would copy the BlackmagicCodec.qtx file to:

Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTComponents\
Kaspar Ko
Support Representative
Blackmagic Design USA

Pete Holzmann

Re: Intensity installation problem (Help please) - SOLVED!

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 9:59 pm

The above instructions are mostly correct, but contain crucial errors.

Also, it is obvious that not only do the release docs need updated info on this... but also this is a serious set of install-time bugs that need fixing.

I've posted a correct set of workaround instructions:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3307

Return to Getting Started