Using DaVinci with HP Dreamcolor Z27x

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Jürgen Hackl

Using DaVinci with HP Dreamcolor Z27x

PostTue Sep 09, 2014 5:22 pm

Hi,

I just got my Dreamcolor Z27x and want to use it with DaVinci. I want to connected it with an Ultrastudio 4K. Now I am not quite sure how I get the right picture onto it out of DaVinci. Do I need a LUT box or can I use DaVincis "Monitor LUT" option. Do I need also a special calibration software like CalMAN to get the 3D-LUT for it.

What is your workflow with this Display?

David Franzo

Re: Using DaVinci with HP Dreamcolor Z27x

PostWed Sep 10, 2014 5:40 am

I don't think you need to use any LUTs. It is calibrated right out of the box and the calibration is managed internally.

Jürgen Hackl

PostWed Sep 10, 2014 2:08 pm

I thought that too, but the picture showing on the display does not look correct. Compared to the DaVinci viewer window it looks much to bright. If I send just a black picture it shows a dark grey. I also tried to turn the "Video Levels" option on and off at the monitor, that does not change anything ... I'm really confused here.

David Franzo

PostWed Sep 10, 2014 5:05 pm

Hmm, the video levels option should make the blacks black if Resolve is set to output video levels. Do you have the color space set to Rec.709 on the monitor? The default sRGB is very bright so pure black can look pretty bright in a dark room. I use the Mini Monitor so maybe your UltraStudio 4K works differently because it can do RGB over HDMI, in which case it is data level and changing the monitor's levels while looking at pure black will not be visible. Does the picture get too contrasty when video levels is toggled?

Jürgen Hackl

PostThu Sep 11, 2014 10:09 am

Thanks for your answer!

Concerning the video levels:
- toggling this option at the display does not change anything, either which color mode or input i chose
- DaVinci is set to send video levels. if I change that to data levels, the image is clipped under 16 and over 235, but the brightness (especially the black level) does not change at the monitor

No, I don't use the sRGB mode, only Rec.709 or P3.

Concerning YUV/RGB: I don't know exactly, what Ultrastudio is using on the HDMI. Referring to Allan Tépper it is still YUV. My DreamColor can handle the signal up to 2K resolution (with the mentioned problems). If I'm sending 4K, the picture is visible somehow, but the colors going crazy. So I am supposing, the Dreamcolor is not supporting YUV for higher resolutions.

David Franzo

PostThu Sep 11, 2014 7:06 pm

That sounds really weird then. Not sure how to help you. I guess the UltraStudio is sending RGB because when I plug in RGB sources, the video level toggle does not do anything. Do you have the latest firmware? It allows you to see the format of the input, and maybe just flashing the firmware will fix it? I would upload my calibration report to compare but I can't find it right now.

Jürgen Hackl

PostMon Sep 15, 2014 9:44 am

I think I have the latest firmware on the monitor. Not sure if the interface shows the "Rev.A", but the number seems correct. Anyway, I tried to flash it, but that does not work as described in the manual. If I put in the USB stick with the firmware into the dedicated ports, nothing at all happens.
But I noticed, that if I'm sending the singnal over HDMI, the monitor does not show me the input format. That works only with Displayport sources.

If think it's time to contact the HP support ... maybe I really got a defect device.

David Franzo

PostMon Sep 15, 2014 5:48 pm

Probably your best bet. I think all of the ones that say manufactured in April are bad. I had two of them and they didn't work right. I have one from June now and it works. Their support is great with replacements. Both times they delivered it within 2 days of the claim. Unfortunately they don't understand the terminology for these but if you stress the issue they will just replace it.

Jonathan Happ

PostTue Jan 29, 2019 6:25 pm

Hi Jürgen,

I just bought myself a HP Z27 (Vorführmodell), which i want to use as refercence display behind a Studio Mini. The firmware i two versions behind the current one from HP, but I have the same issue, that I can't flash it. Did you manage to update yours? I only tried so far with FAT32 formated USB Drives. The processor and firmware update is enabled, using the USB Dreamcolor connections.
Mac OS 10.13.6
Mac Pro Late 2013
32 GB RAM
3,7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5

Win10
Supermicro Workstation
2x Intel Xeon 2,1GHz 12C
96GB RAM
512GB SSD System
1TB SSD Cache
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti(2x)
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G