BMPC-4K: Shooting tips from early users

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

BMPC-4K: Shooting tips from early users

PostSat Feb 22, 2014 1:06 am

​Based on reports from Blackmagic Production Camera 4K users in the field, here are some shooting tips:

1. First thing to do when you get a BMPC-4K is to make sure it’s running the most current firmware, available on BMD’s support website. Some cams have shipped with an older version firmware, so even a “new” cam may require installing the current FW. Firmware updates include the latest ReadMe text and User Manual documentation; be sure to read it for important information. Recent firmware updates have added in-camera media formatting (see #17 below), 4K RAW recording, additional ProRes recording modes (see #16 below), momentary Auto-Focus, histogram display, record time remaining display, audio meters, additional shutter angle settings (see #18 below), additional white balance settings, etc.
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25209
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21179

2. Use the cam’s ISO 200 and ISO 400 settings for lower video noise compared to ISO 800. The cam’s native ISO is 400 (best balance of dynamic range and noise). Adjust lighting levels and lens aperture accordingly. Firmware v1.9 (available free from BMD's support site; see above) improves BMPC-4K sensor calibration, resulting in less noise compared to previous firmwares. Subject to your testing, vertical banding, noise and fixed pattern noise (FPN) may sometimes appear in underexposed areas or when exposure is boosted in post. BMD cameras do not feature internal noise reduction. If necessary, you can apply NR to footage in post using Davinci Resolve, Neat Video, or other popular software. As always, conduct your own careful tests with the BMPC-4K (or any camera) before start of production to determine your preferred settings.

3. Early BMPC-4K video compared to other professional digital film “formats”: BMPC-4K vs. RED EPIC ...
http://herefortheweather.wordpress.com/ ... -red-epic/

... BMPC-4K vs. ARRI Alexa ...

... and BMPC-4K vs. Canon 1DC:

Note: The three BMPC-4K example videos above were shot using 4K ProRes HQ, before the camera's 4K RAW recording feature was available.

4. Many videos on Vimeo demonstrate the BMPC-4K’s uncommon CMOS global shutter feature, showing the cam’s complete lack of rolling shutter artifacts such as skew, jello, partial frame exposure (“flash band”), and so forth. As a result, movement looks better and more natural on the BMPC-4K compared to most other CMOS cameras, the vast majority of which have a rolling shutter.

5. There’s a lag of about 4 frames on the BMPC-4K SDI video output, and about 1 frame less lag on the built-in LCD screen than the SDI. There’s also a lag in the headphone audio. Recorded audio and video appear to be in sync relative to each other. Subject to your testing. See:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19192&p=120113#p120111

6. As expected, because the BMPC-4K has a relatively high-resolution sensor, it’s less prone to aliasing & moire compared to Blackmagic Design’s otherwise excellent and less-expensive BMCC & BMPCC cameras. Aliasing/moire can still occur with the BMPC-4K, but is relatively rare.

7. BMPC-4K “Film” mode is less “flat” (less log like) than “Film” mode on the BMCC & BMPCC, and it’s easy and fast to get a nice grade in post (see #15 below). The camera’s “Video” mode (similar to Rec. 709) appears to be improved compared to previous BMD camera firmwares. Most people agree that BMPC-4K Film mode can yield best results. BMPC-4K 1080p recordings are more detailed than BMCC & BMPCC 1080p recordings, and BMPC-4K “4K” (10-bit 4:2:2 ProRes HQ, and especially 12-bit RAW) recordings contain the greatest amount of natural detail overall.

8. As expected the BMPC-4K ProRes HQ recordings have somewhat less dynamic range & sensitivity compared to BMCC and BMPCC cams. Approx. a stop less or so, subject to your testing. The BMCC & BMPCC have a native ISO of approx. 800. BMPC-4K’s losslessly-compressed 12-bit RAW CinemaDNG feature is included in recent firmware updates. Subject to your testing, you may find the camera’s DR improved slightly in RAW recordings compared to ProRes.

9. As with the BMCC & BMPCC, the LCD on the BMPC-4K is highly reflective and very difficult to read in bright environments. This can be somewhat alleviated by applying inexpensive, matte-finish 3M anti-glare protective film for touch screens, and a LCD hood or loupe, or preferably use a professional external HD-SDI EVF or high-brightness monitor.
http://herefortheweather.wordpress.com/ ... on-on-you/
http://herefortheweather.wordpress.com/ ... uchscreen/

10. Recent firmware updates improve BMPC-4K audio recording quality (from external mic and line sources) well-enough that it’s now arguably “professional quality”, as was long-promised on their website. Firmware v1.9 finally adds audio meters. Note: For best results, use an external mic preamp/mixer connected to the BMPC-4K, or record sound externally on a pro audio recorder. If desired, external timecode can be input to a BMD camera audio track and Davinci Resolve can use it for sync (refer to Davinci Resolve docs for info).

11. For information about cost-effective IR cut (infrared cut) and combination IRND optical filters appropriate for use with the BMPC-4K, refer to the following detailed thread on BMCuser, especially the first few posts. “Infrared pollution” affects most modern video cams to a varying degree, and can cause video to look muddy brownish red/magenta. Selection of an IR cut filter tends to be sensor-specific, so the results and recommendations described in this thread are invaluable. Refer to the thread titled "ProND2 Now Avail: Hoya ProND Rolling Report Thread" in the "Lens Discussion" section on bmcuser [dot] com

12. As shown at the 1:10 point in the BMPC-4K and RED Epic video in #3 above, the BMPC-4K will sometimes record an extreme highlight (such as from direct sunlight) as black or magenta pixels instead of white. Initially the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera also had a “black sun” problem (different sensor), too. BMD fixed the issue on the pocket cam via a free firmware update, so perhaps they’ll be able do the same with the BMPC-4K. TBD. Often one can “fix it in post” using software such as the included Davinci Resolve. (Apparently the ARRI Alexa camera rev.7 has a similar issue.) Kristian Lam, the BMPC-4K product manager discusses this here, but a firmware fix for this issue is not promised; see:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21179

13. Battery status indicator & the camera’s cooling system: The battery level indicator on the BMPC-4K LCD monitor may fluctuate a lot during operation, more so than with other BMD cameras. This is normal. The BMPC-4K’s larger sensor and increased internal data handling generates more heat, causing the camera’s cooling system to vary its power consumption, and consumes more power overall. All BMD cameras use active Peltier-type cooling systems. The cooling system transfers heat from the sensor & electronics to the cameras’ heavy metal chassis, which acts as a heat sink. BMPC-4K & BMCC cameras also contain a relatively quiet, constant-speed fan. For proper operation, insure that the air vents on the base of BMPC-4K & BMCC are not blocked. The BMPC-4K & BMCC base is designed with a raised ridge so that mounting the cam on a hard, flat surface won’t block airflow. When powered-on, avoid placing these cams on a soft surface such as upholstery, carpet, fabric, etc. which could block air flow. As expected, during operation in warm environments the camera’s body may get quite warm — almost hot to touch. This is normal. The camera will run somewhat cooler if, when operating the cam from an external power source, its internal battery is fully charged before use so the internal battery isn’t charging while shooting. You may find that mounting the camera in a metal camera rig or cage helps keep the camera cooler because the extra metal essentially adds another heat sink, and the rig/cage may be cooler/more comfortable to hand hold. Some users put a gaffer tape “tab” on the SSD media because it normally gets very warm, too, and the tab gives you something cool to grab when pulling the SSD out of the cam. For info about Peltier cooling, see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peltier_cooler

14. BMPC-4K internal SSD recordings are progressive only, not interlaced. Concerning its live SDI video output, there's an error in the user manual on page 11. The BMPC-4K does NOT feature interlaced “1920 x 1080i50 output“, and, “1920 x 1080i59.94 output“. The BMPC-4K's SDI output is progressive only, not interlaced.

15. CaptainHook has created impressive custom Lookup Tables (LUTs) for the BMPC-4K (and other BMD cameras), for use in the Davinci Resolve software included with the camera. See:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19731

16. Firmware v.1.8.2 added additional ProRes 4K and 1080p recording modes. Originally, the BMPC-4K featured "ProRes HQ". Firmware v.1.8.2 added "ProRes 422", "ProRes LT", and "ProRes Proxy". For info about ProRes recording modes, data rates, and file sizes, see Apple’s ProRes White Paper (PDF):
http://images.apple.com/final-cut-pro/d ... _Paper.pdf

17. In firmware 1.9.5, in-camera formatting to format an SSD as HFS+, the camera’s “Reel” metadata field must contain at least one character (can’t be blank). The exFAT format option doesn’t appear to have the same requirement (“Reel” can be blank.) UPDATE: With firmware 1.9.7, when in-camera formatting as HFS+ or exFAT, Reel metadata can be blank or up to 3 characters.

18. Firmware 1.9.5 adds additional shutter angles. Here's a table showing all the shutter angles, together with their shutter speed equivalents (PDF):
http://herefortheweather.files.wordpres ... -1-9-5.pdf

19. An example of a DIY Windows PC build for editing & grading BMPC-4K RAW and ProRes HQ UHD footage in Resolve 11, based on suggestions by forum members and recommendations in BMD's system configuration guide:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=31129

20. SSD drives tested and recommended by Blackmagic Design for use as blank media in BMPC-4K cameras:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/faq/59007

BMPC-4K videos now frequently appear on TV broadcasts, websites, Vimeo, YouTube, and elsewhere. Here are a few early examples: http://herefortheweather.wordpress.com/ ... -red-epic/

To find more, search on http://www.vimeo.com for “blackmagic 4k”, and “bmpc4k”, and “bmpc-4k”.

Comments, questions and additional tips are welcome.

Revision history:
- Revised #1, etc.: Recent firmware updates.
- Revised #10: Audio quality improvements & meters.
- Added #11: IR cut and IRND filter info.
- Added #12: The “black/red sun” issue.
- Added #13: Battery status & cooling.
- Added BMPC-4K / ARRI Alexa video link to #3.
- Added #15: Captain Hook’s custom LUTs.
- Added #16: Link to Apple's ProRes White Paper (PDF).
- Added #17: HFS+ in-camera formatting tip.
- Added #18: List of new shutter angles.
- Revised #14: BMPC-4K recording & SDI output is progressive only.
- Added #19: Example DIY Resolve Windows PC build for 4K RAW & ProRes.

-
Last edited by Peter J. DeCrescenzo on Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:36 pm, edited 56 times in total.

Nix

Re: BMPC-4K: Shooting tips from early users

PostSat Feb 22, 2014 2:35 am

Very good message! Thank you.

rick.lang

PostSat Feb 22, 2014 2:46 am

Well done, Peter. Hope you can keep it going! Great to have tips in one place for occasional review and a 'must read' for everyone.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Vince Gaffney

PostSat Feb 22, 2014 4:07 am

I received the camera today. Did shot some high sky and some dusk footage. Looked good. I can see that when properly light it should be great. I'll shoot more worst case scenario stuff over weekend. But I'm confident the camera is capable of capturing images commensurate with how you light it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bipedias

PostSat Feb 22, 2014 6:17 am

Great read!

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSat Feb 22, 2014 4:40 pm

Added #13: Battery status & cooling.
viewtopic.php?p=119983#p119983

Additional BMPC-4K shooting tips & comments welcome.

-

Greg Best

PostSat Feb 22, 2014 4:43 pm

LIKE! :) This is an AWESOMELY useful post.

Maybe add a section about which SSDs and Batteries people are actually using out there?

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSat Feb 22, 2014 5:11 pm

Thanks for everyone's comments.

Users are welcome to post to this thread with BMPC-4K-specific info, such as the specific SSD they are using with success, and so-forth.

Concerning info not specific to the BMPC-4K: There are other threads here in the forum that cover accessory topics such as external batteries, cables, lenses, etc. (The BMPC-4K can use most of the same accessories as the BMCC-EF.) Probably best to add to those existing threads unless there is new info specific to the BMPC-4K.

Thanks again.

-

Vince Gaffney

PostSat Feb 22, 2014 6:25 pm

Sandisk Extreme 480 GB is working perfectly. Including a factory refurbished one.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSun Feb 23, 2014 7:24 am

In item #3 in the first post, I added the comparison between a BMPC-4K and an ARRI Alexa:

-

timbutt2

PostSun Feb 23, 2014 5:14 pm

Thanks a ton! Especially the comparison video between the ALEXA and BMPC4K. Hopefully later this year I can upgrade my camera to the 4K since it's looking really nice.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSun Feb 23, 2014 5:24 pm

UPDATE: Added #14: Live interlaced output.

Additional BMPC-4K specific shooting tips and comments are welcome.

-

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Feb 23, 2014 10:02 pm

Just to nit-pick a little Peter, you're gonna easily get 3 frames lag to the LCD, 3-4 to SDI monitor:

Saying 2-3 is wishful thinking i think, i feel "safer" saying 3-4. :)
Otherwise thanks for taking the time.

Just need an entry for the vertical banding/noise and FPN that will show on underexposed areas when boosted in post. Ideally easy to spot so people don't miss it. ;)
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Tyler Peck

PostSun Feb 23, 2014 10:49 pm

Great post. A 3-4 frame lag seems like a pretty big issue to me. Hopefully something that can be fixed in an update? Does the BMCC have a lag as well? I haven't noticed anything on the pocket.
Ty Peck
Editor • DP
www.typeck.com

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Feb 23, 2014 10:54 pm

BMCC is about 1 frame lag. I think it's a limit of the hardware speed, but i don't know. Personally i'm not expecting a firmware update can increase the speed, but if i'm wrong i'll be happy. :)
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSun Feb 23, 2014 11:17 pm

CaptainHook wrote:Just to nit-pick a little Peter, you're gonna easily get 3 frames lag to the LCD, 3-4 to SDI monitor:

Saying 2-3 is wishful thinking i think, i feel "safer" saying 3-4. :)
Otherwise thanks for taking the time.

Just need an entry for the vertical banding/noise and FPN that will show on underexposed areas when boosted in post. Ideally easy to spot so people don't miss it. ;)

Done! Thanks for the suggestions, CaptainHook!

-

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostMon Feb 24, 2014 7:04 am

Minor update to item #14 because page numbering changed in the new BMD camera user manual for firmware update version v.1.6.2.

-

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostMon Feb 24, 2014 5:51 pm

Should BMD make this thread a forum sticky?

zinho

PostWed Feb 26, 2014 2:07 am

I vote YES on sticky.

This looks like a lot of useful info and (after my camera arrives) I suspect a lot of alternating between reading and playing...

Thanks for posting this Peter,

John Cunningham

Ben Wells

PostWed Feb 26, 2014 3:23 am

+1 stick it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adam Myhill

PostWed Feb 26, 2014 5:56 pm

Hi, I'm new here and can't post URLs for perhaps that reason

I've done a quick test with the BMPC 4k and captured some video in a fashion shoot, at different ISOs etc.

Adammyhill.com/blog. Some issues with clipping, also some gorgeous results.

Evan Butka

PostWed Feb 26, 2014 7:25 pm

Vince Gaffney wrote:Sandisk Extreme 480 GB is working perfectly. Including a factory refurbished one.

Thats what I'm using and they work great!

Scott Pultz

PostWed Feb 26, 2014 8:30 pm

Adam M wrote:Hi, I'm new here and can't post URLs for perhaps that reason

I've done a quick test with the BMPC 4k and captured some video in a fashion shoot, at different ISOs etc.

Sweet, downloading your footage now. Tests have shown that it is best to use ISO 400 and push rather than ISO 800.

Danny Kim

PostSat Mar 01, 2014 5:12 pm

Scott Pultz wrote:
Adam M wrote:Hi, I'm new here and can't post URLs for perhaps that reason

Sweet, downloading your footage now. Tests have shown that it is best to use ISO 400 and push rather than ISO 800.

But how would shooting on 400 be an improvement over 200 if everything is properly exposed? Less amplification = less noise.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSun Mar 02, 2014 1:02 am

You're welcome to use ISO 200 if you wish. ISO 400 is the BMPC-4K camera's so-called "native" ISO, the setting at which it delivers its best balance of low noise and high dynamic range. Shooting at 200 or 800 affect exposure and noise, but at the expense of dynamic range.

(ISO 800 is the native ISO for the original BMCC and BMPCC pocket).

Use whichever settings are appropriate for a scene/production.

-

Rohan Dadswell

PostSun Mar 02, 2014 5:37 am

Have just done a quick battery test - getting just over 55mins of record time from a charged battery.
This was camera coming off the charger and start recording straight away (not exactly a real world test).
Did this three times - the longest was 59.20, the shortest 57.43.
Lens was Sigma 18-35mm so no image stabiliser drilling power
The battery indicator sat on 10% for about the last 20min until the unit shut down - file was fine when plugged into laptop.
Rohan Dadswell - Rotating Head Productions
Lighting Cameraman
Canberra, Australia

rick.lang

PostSun Mar 02, 2014 3:20 pm

Rohan, thanks for that simple test that goes a long way to answer the question, "How much power does the BMPC4K draw when operating?" We already know that the BMCC runs about 18 watts. If the internal battery has the same capacity on both cameras, them it appears the BMPC4K uses about 28 to 30 watts itself. That extra power is required by the much larger sensor and the cooling system as you know.

Add all the other accessories like image stabilization, EVF, mixer, perhaps a LED light, etc., then it's not surprising that some people report as little as 20 minutes from the internal battery. Most times when the camera is in use, it will be drawing power from an external battery (or AC supply).

Edit:
Phil Rhodes in his review in RedShark News claims the BMPC4K operates at 24 watts.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Last edited by rick.lang on Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Lang

Manu Gil

PostSun Mar 02, 2014 7:37 pm

Hi Peter J. Excellent help for us all. Thanks for starting.

Peter_r

PostTue Mar 04, 2014 6:25 am

I would agree that shooting on ASA400 and exposing for 640 gives the best results. Going down to ASA200 just uses negative gain and really does nothing but reduce the dynamic range.

I am getting about 45 minutes out of a full charge, this is with stopping and starting the camera over an 8 hour period and playing back files once or twice to see how they looked.

I tried some Nikon lenses using an adapter I printed on a 3D printer (thanks thingiverse!) and they work just fine. Of course you really need to use non Gelded lenses or you can't control the aperture.

Every Nikon DX lens I have tried so far does not vignette, so they have all been usable, which is nice as I have a few handy, and I just locked the aperture open for the night-shots I needed.

Bright highlights have a tendency to turn black.

The screen is useless in bright Australian sunlight, I haven't tried an anti-glare sheet yet. The screen is very clear for focusing though when you can see it.

The charge indicator is pretty useless, it dropped to 75% about 1 minute in, and went from 25% to turning off without warning. Definitely budget for some external pwer packs.

I do wish it had a HDMI output.

There doesn't appear to be a way to format the SSD from within the camera, (I could be wrong) which caused me a problem on the shoot when I realised that one of the 1TB drives wasn't formatted. Had to run and buy a dock and hook it up to my Macbook Pro to format the drive.

I am using the Sandisk Extreme II 480GB and it works flawlessly.

The USB port is hidden inside the SSD door.

I do wish the IRIS button was on a dial instead of a button.

So far, even when using an old crappy Canon EOS plastic kit lens, the images are incredibly sharp, and the codec handles things like moving grass, rain and ocean waves very well.

I am pissed that it doesn't do raw as advertised, particularly since it is a little noisy in the dark areas.

I do wish the case came in black, the camera did get a lot of attention when used candidly, even when just using a tiny 50mm pancake lens on the front.

Very happy with it so far, very good value at the new price. I would upload some footage, but my internet is painfully slow.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostTue Mar 04, 2014 5:39 pm

UPDATE: Added #15: Link to CaptainHook's custom LUTs:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19731

-

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Mar 04, 2014 8:46 pm

Thanks Peter!

federicoscienza

Re: BMPC-4K: ProRes 1080 8bit or 10bit?

PostSun Mar 09, 2014 11:41 pm

Hi there,
I can't find detailed information about codecs for the BMPC 4K.

Is the HD ProRes version 8bit or 10bit.
And what about the UHD, it that 10bit?

Many thanks.

Federico

rick.lang

PostMon Mar 10, 2014 2:33 am

The ProRes 4:2:2 HQ is 10 bit for both the 3840x2160 and 1920x1080 resolutions. The raw will be 12 bit when it's released.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostMon Mar 10, 2014 2:57 am

Additional information about Apple's ProRes professional codecs is available in the "ProRes White Paper" (PDF) that can be downloaded from Apple's website (refer to the link on the left side of this page):
http://www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/resources/

-

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostThu Mar 20, 2014 5:29 pm

CORRECTION: Item #14: Despite BMD's documentation, apparently the camera's "live interlaced output" feature does not work -- period; hopefully it'll be fixed via a firmware update ASAP. Stay tuned ...

-

Zack Steffens

PostSat Mar 22, 2014 10:49 pm

Thanks for the great thread! My camera can only record on its internal battery for about half an hour. Phenomenal camera, and surprisingly easy to deal with the 4K footage!

JOAN Bordera

PostSat Apr 12, 2014 4:13 pm

My camera has a lot of noise with 400 iso in the blacks and vertical lines. Is that normal or it's my camera? Don't understand if native is 400 that noise... Please check in this link a couple of shots that I did in 400ISO:

we.tl/MTWqHZyu33

I found an other example like mine with an other costumer:

vimeo.com/89055435

PS. When I'm filming the cards are really really hot, is that normal?

Thanks

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostFri Jul 25, 2014 11:06 pm

I've edited the first post to reflect some of the changes due to recent BMPC-4K firmware updates.

-
Last edited by Peter J. DeCrescenzo on Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Cullen

PostSun Jul 27, 2014 5:51 pm

Could anyone let me know whether there has been any change to the lag on the BMPC since the firmware upgrade to 1.9 and is the delay the same for ProRes and Raw recording?

I'm not sure I could cope with 4 frames lag in my alphatron VF when trying to pan / stand / sit an artist or hold a pivot, so it would affect whether I stick with the BMCC or upgrade.

Many thanks
Jim Cullen

Jim Cullen

PostTue Jul 29, 2014 4:00 pm

I'll be able to work it out myself...I just bought one

Jim Cullen wrote:Could anyone let me know whether there has been any change to the lag on the BMPC since the firmware upgrade to 1.9 and is the delay the same for ProRes and Raw recording?

I'm not sure I could cope with 4 frames lag in my alphatron VF when trying to pan / stand / sit an artist or hold a pivot, so it would affect whether I stick with the BMCC or upgrade.

Many thanks
Jim Cullen

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostThu Sep 18, 2014 5:37 pm

Added items #17 and #18 to the list in the first post:
viewtopic.php?p=119983#p119983

-

Kevin DeOliveira

PostThu Sep 18, 2014 10:59 pm

Ever committed….

Thanks for this, good update.
BMPC4k / BMPCC / URSA Mini (Pre-order)
kevdeo.com

Marcus Federico

PostFri Sep 19, 2014 3:39 pm

I cant connect on ATEM, on #14 you said to see manual, where can i download it?

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostThu Dec 11, 2014 7:20 pm

Revised #14: BMPC-4K recording & SDI output are progressive only.

Per Gary Adams' recent post:
viewtopic.php?p=184369#p184369

-

kentkim

PostFri Dec 12, 2014 2:07 am

This is a great information! Thank you.

jaabsfilms

PostSat Jan 16, 2016 12:48 pm

I have bought a new BM video assist to use with my MBPC4k camera. But its so sad to see that its not triggering through its SDI out. But it works with Sony FS700. Black magic products are not complimenting each other. Its so funny to see that. Still I dont know wats the use buying this crap again. Again its a bad experience with Black magic in my life. They come up with useless products. I thot it will work with blackmagic cameras. But I am fooled

Denny Smith

PostSat Jan 16, 2016 6:34 pm

Sorry you are having a problem with the VA. However, currently T/C triggering does not work with the VA and the BMPC, because the Production 4K camera does not currently output time code, BM addressed this in a previous post in the VA:
Tony Rivera wrote:The DNxHD question has been mentioned in other threads on the forums. (Future update for this).

In regards to the BMPC 4k sending timecode via SDI, this is something being looked into but I currently do not have a timetable for this.

T/C triggering does work with the BMCC, however, which does output T/C, and,this feature does work,with the VA on the Cinema camera. As Tony stated, BM is looking me to,adding T/C out to the Production camera.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Marcel Lavide

PostSun Jan 17, 2016 11:42 am

I would like the camera BMPC 4k works with the monitor.

Return to Cinematography