arri alexa skyfall

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

azizlight

arri alexa skyfall

PostMon Nov 05, 2012 9:46 pm

Anybody here dissaponted by the way arrialex performed in sky fall? maybe movies aren't meant to be made in digital cameras.

are_luke

Re: arri alexa skyfall

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 8:21 pm

I have to admit, not really. In my opinion the Alexa has the best color rendition of any camera i have ever seen. Digital cinema projection has its pros and cons compared to film but when done right by the cinema technicians and operators, digital seems to be up to the challenge of replacing film

Luke Armstrong

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 4:38 pm

azizlight wrote:Anybody here dissaponted by the way arrialex performed in sky fall? maybe movies aren't meant to be made in digital cameras.

Quite the opposite for me - I thought it was incredible. What section of the movie are you referring to? What cinema did you go to? Was it a digital projection/35mm? Did you see it in Imax? So many factors to consider...

I speak to Roger Deakins quite a lot on his forum and I know that he wasn't happy with how 'hot' some of the Red footage was which was photographed by the second unit in Turkey. They had to use the Red due to the particular camera system they were using.

Otherwise this is the first negative comment I've heard about the Cinematography on the film. Not that I'm protective of it, though I may be a little biased.

Having worked on the movie and seen the shots at their full resolution, I thought it looked great and it was some of the best Arri Alexa footage I have seen - and I have worked on four shows shot on Alexa :)
Luke Armstrong - Digital Compositor
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4274789/

Marcel Beck

PostWed Nov 14, 2012 1:17 pm

It was outstanding! I was a bit hesitant about the cinematography at the last part where they basically blew up his old house, but overall I enjoyed it
Marcel Beck
Cinematographer & Producer
follow me: @mxbstudios

Luke Armstrong

PostWed Nov 14, 2012 1:22 pm

Marcel Beck wrote:It was outstanding! I was a bit hesitant about the cinematography at the last part where they basically blew up his old house, but overall I enjoyed it

Really? Why were you hesitant?

Christine Peterson

PostMon Nov 19, 2012 7:07 pm

Saw Skyfall over the weekend and I thought it was beautiful! I was especially blown away by the shadow fight sequence in Hong Kong up in the glass building.

Luke, I even spotted your name in the credits!! Very cool!
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

Luke Armstrong

PostTue Nov 20, 2012 10:36 am

Christine Peterson wrote:Saw Skyfall over the weekend and I thought it was beautiful! I was especially blown away by the shadow fight sequence in Hong Kong up in the glass building.

Luke, I even spotted your name in the credits!! Very cool!

:D

Marcel Beck

PostTue Nov 20, 2012 7:49 pm

Luke Armstrong wrote:
Marcel Beck wrote:It was outstanding! I was a bit hesitant about the cinematography at the last part where they basically blew up his old house, but overall I enjoyed it

Really? Why were you hesitant?

I didn't really like shots outside the house once the fires started, it seems to big of a 'hell' atmosphere for that kind of scene, maybe its just me haha :lol:
Marcel Beck

Elliott Balsley

End scenes

PostFri Nov 23, 2012 3:24 pm

I would agree that the after the fire started, it looked too big. The house was built mostly of stone, so I just don't imagine it would burn so fast and big as that. I mean, firelight was seen across the huge lake, illuminating the chapel. Still a good scene though.
Of course, I've never actually witnessed a burning house like that, so maybe I'm wrong.
Elliott C. Balsley
DIT, Colorist, Cinematographer
www.llamafilm.com

Luke Armstrong

PostFri Nov 23, 2012 3:44 pm

There was a lot of wood inside though, and I seem to recall it was two gas bottles that went up! I think that helicopter crashing into the side of the building whilst full of kerosene would also help get the fire going a little ;)

Christine Peterson

PostFri Nov 23, 2012 7:06 pm

Most explosions in action movies look like they packed the car or house full of C-4. Otherwise it wouldn't be dramatic enough!
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

marcs

PostSat Nov 24, 2012 12:11 am

the disappointment you feel probably has more to do with the digital projector used, or its operation, in the theater you viewed the film. the 4k projection i saw didnt look like film (should it?) but it was quite beautiful.

azizlight wrote:Anybody here dissaponted by the way arrialex performed in sky fall? maybe movies aren't meant to be made in digital cameras.

Marcel Beck

PostSun Nov 25, 2012 12:01 pm

Christine Peterson wrote:Most explosions in action movies look like they packed the car or house full of C-4. Otherwise it wouldn't be dramatic enough!

Haha I wish I could do that for celebrations, take an 18-Wheeler packed with gasoline, C4 strapped to its belly, and POOF, nice roast BBQ.

Who else had a tear in their eye when they shot up the (replica) Aston Martin DB5 :(
Marcel Beck

Return to Off-Topic