Spot shows on all BMPCC clips

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Ellory Yu

Spot shows on all BMPCC clips

PostMon Oct 06, 2014 5:38 am

I received my BMPCC 2 weeks ago. I noticed that when I shoot, there is a gray spot on the upper mid left pane of all my footage. I am trying to upload a 1MB file to demonstrate the problem but this forum keeps saying that the board attachment quota has been reached (I don't even have any files uploaded in the past). It happened even on different lenses. My last shoot I used a Panny 14-42mm, Tiffen ND .6 and using Prores 422(HQ) Film setting, 1080p 24 fps. I'm not sure if this is an issue anyone has encountered in the past and was able to easily fixed or if this is a defect on the camera. Any help appreciated. The spot is very visible!
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

adamroberts

Re: Spot shows on all BMPCC clips

PostMon Oct 06, 2014 5:55 am

Sounds like dust on the sensor. Try blowing the sensor clear with a rocket blower/bulb blower.

The forum no longer allows uploads. Simply upload to some other host and add the link to your post.

Ellory Yu

PostTue Oct 07, 2014 5:18 pm

I blew the sensor clean with a bulb blower per Adam's suggestion and the spot is still there. I was hoping it was just dust. Now I'm concern. I took new footage after cleaning the sensor and lenses to demonstrate the spot issue and uploaded to youtube for all to see what I'm talking about. If anyone have encountered this and can shed some light how they fixed it, or might have any idea why there is this aberration on the image, please chime in. Here's the link to the footage.

PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

adamroberts

PostTue Oct 07, 2014 5:42 pm

That does look like dust on the sensor. It could also be a spot of oil or water. Might require more of a clean that the blower is doing. Something like and Arctic Butterfly: http://amzn.to/1EpKZMe

Ellory Yu

PostTue Oct 07, 2014 8:23 pm

Spoke to BM and they will issue an RMA to get it checked/replaced. I wonder how long again I have to wait. I waited 2 months, just got it a week ago, now this. :(

Thanks for your help Adam!

adamroberts

PostTue Oct 07, 2014 8:46 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:Spoke to BM and they will issue an RMA to get it checked/replaced. I wonder how long again I have to wait. I waited 2 months, just got it a week ago, now this. :(

Thanks for your help Adam!

No problem. BM are normally pretty quick with repairs/RMAs. Normally get it out in 5 days excluding shipping.

kinimato

PostThu Oct 12, 2017 11:15 am

i have a bmpcc and now have started shooting ..I noticed the spot in my footage too?
was this resolved?

Ryan Payne

PostThu Oct 12, 2017 1:20 pm

Lol this was 4 years ago. When you send in for an RMA they just check to see if there is an issue, then if so they send you a new unit. Chance are op was sent a well functioning new unit and never felt the need to respond.

If your unit is new or still in warranty and nothing appears to be on any of your lenses or the glass in front of the sensor then contact BM for an RMA.

Return to Cinematography