How you convert CR2 to Dpx

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

How you convert CR2 to Dpx

PostTue Oct 28, 2014 4:10 am

What is the most successful way? I know AE can do it, but I would like to have a log form and with AE you collapse on a rec709 (at least this is last time I tried)/

Nuke is an option but I had mixed results with it (good and not so good). But Nuke will allow me to work in linear light.

I do not think Reosolve can handle those puppies natively.

(I'm talking about thousands of frames sequences, not few frames.)

Suggestion?
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Lee Gauthier

Re: How you convert CR2 to Dpx

PostTue Oct 28, 2014 4:36 am

Sounds like a job for Adobe Media Encoder or Apple Compressor.

waltervolpatto

PostTue Oct 28, 2014 4:41 am

Lee Gauthier wrote:Sounds like a job for Adobe Media Encoder or Apple Compressor.

can you export a "log" or linear data out of it?
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled

Lee Gauthier

PostTue Oct 28, 2014 5:42 am

RufusBlackwell

PostTue Oct 28, 2014 5:48 am

Hi Walter

I have been trying to find a good technique for working with CR2. Not sure about DPX, but I use Adobe DNG coverter (free) to transcode to DNG files. Resolve can read the DNG files as RAW, the process seems to be working well, however I am ironing out a few little problems. I was setting the DNGs to REC709 colourspace (default setting), however it may be better to work in BMD. If you try this technique please let me know how you get on.

R
DroneFX.tv

waltervolpatto

PostTue Oct 28, 2014 3:32 pm

Thanks, I will pass the info to my AE artist and give it a try...

Caryl Deyn

PostWed Oct 29, 2014 6:40 am

Hi Walter

Definitely After Effects is the way to go.
I wouldn't recommend Encoder neither Compressor.

There is not an "Auto" for RAW CR2 files, you are developing a Digital Negative, which like a Film Negative will need its own Develop process settings for each sequence.

If you are going for best quality make your AE project work with 32bit ( I prefer and work in 16bit. It is enough since RAW CR2 is 16Bit)

When you import each CR2 sequence to AE the Adobe "Develop" Dialogue will pop up, you can adjust your settings there, you can recover a huge amount of highlights and shadows here, like 3-4 stops on each one, and make it pretty flat (Log-c like) so you have tons of information to grade it later. It is crucial to not auto adjust each sequence in this step, because same settings can create undesired results in different shots.

This is not like RED RAW, CR2 files actually can handle way more information, and just by developing them correctly you can recover a lot of information. Like a sky that was completely blown out, and after develop and highlight correction you can see its blue color and clouds back again.

If you don't want to change the resolution of the file and use the original one, just create the AE sequence, from the file sequence imported, right click it and pick create new comp from selection.

Check frame rate from the file you just imported and on the comp. a different frame rate on this ones will result in possible issues.

finally send the comp to render and pick DPX.

you can render out 10,12, or 16 Bit DPX sequences in log or linear
pick what you desire on the dialogue box

Don't forget to check on Main settings - Depth: Trillions of Colors

if you decided to go for 32bit workflow, which I feel is kinda insane :) you can export 32bit Tiffs too, here don't forget to pick on Main setting Depth: Floating point

some final recommendation on the develop dialogue settings:
when recovering shadows check frame at 100% resolution, because sometimes when you are recovering you can introduce undesired noise, that when not watching at 100% is not visible.

Second: go to detail tab and reduce sharpening to 6 or 11, the default is 25 and this setting is way too high.

Remember you can always go back and change the develop dialogue settings by right clicking on the file in the project window and chose interpret footage/Main and then/ more options.

All the setting from the Develop Dialogue are saved as a metadata file on the respective CR2 files folder
So for the next shot you can load those setting in the Develop dialogue, so you don;t have to start from scratch on each sequence.
Just so you know one frame 5K CR2 Canon file translates into a 119megas DPX 16bit 5K file
That is why I usually go for the traditional 10bit DPX or Apple Pro Res 4444 if it is a lot of footage

Hope this helps, let me know if you have more questions

Caryl

Caryl Deyn

PostWed Oct 29, 2014 6:50 am

I forgot one really big important thing

on the develop dialogue settings
This is the moment to easily achieve a perfect white balance, even if the shooter did a mistake like shooting 3200K during daylight, here you can solve it easy, that is why there's no auto in this process.

Stepan Ko

PostWed Oct 29, 2014 9:38 am

Interesting thread. I've been thinking about this some time ago. This is kind of a merge of two completely different RAW workflows. The stills one where you try to get as close as possible to what you want to achieve in the raw and then carry on with the localized adjustments in photoshop and the moving image where you code everything to log and then stretch it back out once grading. Would something like a rec.709>logc LUT not help? Then again it's not really rec.709. It's more like Adobe RGB.

Someone on the foundry forums suggested to save exr from photoshop (you can make an action to batch process), but that's taking the image out of camera raw and into photoshop (even though you can do that in 16bit and Pro Photo rgb which is an obscenely massive colour space). Can't think of anything else. RAW converters like Capture One don't seem to have an option to export to exr. Maybe lightroom does though.

http://forums.thefoundry.co.uk/phpBB2/v ... 6b20947251

RufusBlackwell

PostWed Oct 29, 2014 1:50 pm

Caryl Deyn wrote:Hi Walter

There is not an "Auto" for RAW CR2 files, you are developing a Digital Negative, which like a Film Negative will need its own Develop process settings for each sequence.

If you are going for best quality make your AE project work with 32bit ( I prefer and work in 16bit. It is enough since RAW CR2 is 16Bit)

When you import each CR2 sequence to AE the Adobe "Develop" Dialogue will pop up, you can adjust your settings there, you can recover a huge amount of highlights and shadows here, like 3-4 stops on each one, and make it pretty flat (Log-c like) so you have tons of information to grade it later. It is crucial to not auto adjust each sequence in this step, because same settings can create undesired results in different shots.

This is not like RED RAW, CR2 files actually can handle way more information, and just by developing them correctly you can recover a lot of information. Like a sky that was completely blown out, and after develop and highlight correction you can see its blue color and clouds back again.

If you don't want to change the resolution of the file and use the original one, just create the AE sequence, from the file sequence imported, right click it and pick create new comp from selection.

Check frame rate from the file you just imported and on the comp. a different frame rate on this ones will result in possible issues.

if you decided to go for 32bit workflow, which I feel is kinda insane :) you can export 32bit Tiffs too, here don't forget to pick on Main setting Depth: Floating point

when recovering shadows check frame at 100% resolution, because sometimes when you are recovering you can introduce undesired noise, that when not watching at 100% is not visible.

Second: go to detail tab and reduce sharpening to 6 or 11, the default is 25 and this setting is way too high.

Remember you can always go back and change the develop dialogue settings by right clicking on the file in the project window and chose interpret footage/Main and then/ more options.

All the setting from the Develop Dialogue are saved as a metadata file on the respective CR2 files folder
So for the next shot you can load those setting in the Develop dialogue, so you don;t have to start from scratch on each sequence.
Just so you know one frame 5K CR2 Canon file translates into a 119megas DPX 16bit 5K file
That is why I usually go for the traditional 10bit DPX or Apple Pro Res 4444 if it is a lot of footage

Caryl

You could do all of the above and have less control in the grade or you could simply convert to DNG and immediately work with the perfect 5K RAW image in Resolve.

As good as reading the CR2 files themselves.

Am I wasting my breath here? Why down convert to a DPX when you can work with the RAW file?

Believe me, a RAW image from a 5DmkIII graded in Resolve is a beautiful thing!
DroneFX.tv

waltervolpatto

PostWed Oct 29, 2014 3:56 pm

Stepan Ko wrote:Interesting thread. I've been thinking about this some time ago. This is kind of a merge of two completely different RAW workflows. The stills one where you try to get as close as possible to what you want to achieve in the raw and then carry on with the localized adjustments in photoshop and the moving image where you code everything to log and then stretch it back out once grading. Would something like a rec.709>logc LUT not help? Then again it's not really rec.709. It's more like Adobe RGB.

Someone on the foundry forums suggested to save exr from photoshop (you can make an action to batch process), but that's taking the image out of camera raw and into photoshop (even though you can do that in 16bit and Pro Photo rgb which is an obscenely massive colour space). Can't think of anything else. RAW converters like Capture One don't seem to have an option to export to exr. Maybe lightroom does though.

http://forums.thefoundry.co.uk/phpBB2/v ... 6b20947251

If you convert to rec709 then back to LogC you might crush/clip data, if you go from RAW to LogC you will not... I want to avoid it if I can.

waltervolpatto

PostWed Oct 29, 2014 3:59 pm

RufusBlackwell wrote:
You could do all of the above and have less control in the grade or you could simply convert to DNG and immediately work with the perfect 5K RAW image in Resolve.

Am I wasting my breath here? Why down convert to a DPX when you can work with the RAW file?

From the workflow stand point DNG is not practical, we will have several machines and users work on those files after conversion and DPX/EXR is the preferred format.

Sometimes I cannot dictate the format....

waltervolpatto

PostWed Oct 29, 2014 4:03 pm

Caryl Deyn wrote:Hi Walter

Caryl

Thanks for the detailed info, this files ultimately will go to IMAX and we will work at native 4k/5k, so no Prores allowed ;) (stereo as well...)

RufusBlackwell

PostThu Oct 30, 2014 4:21 am

waltervolpatto wrote:
RufusBlackwell wrote:

From the workflow stand point DNG is not practical, we will have several machines and users work on those files after conversion and DPX/EXR is the preferred format.

Fair enough, but if the question is "how do you convert RAW files to DPX", surely the answer is Resolve.

Just load the DNG files in to Resolve and export DPX as required.
DroneFX.tv

waltervolpatto

PostThu Oct 30, 2014 4:59 am

RufusBlackwell wrote:
waltervolpatto wrote:
RufusBlackwell wrote:

Fair enough, but if the question is "how do you convert RAW files to DPX", surely the answer is Resolve.

Just load the DNG files in to Resolve and export DPX as required.

That is overly complex: I have CR2 --> [software] dng --> resolve --> Dpx???

I rather CR2 --> DPX.... (with one pass)

Lee Gauthier

PostThu Oct 30, 2014 6:56 am

Sorry, turns out I was wrong -- AE will import CR2 files, but not AME or Compressor.

Best bet is to go from CR2 to DPX in AE, or CR2->DNG using Adobe DNG, then DNG ->DPX with tool of choice.

Elliott Balsley

PostFri Oct 31, 2014 3:23 am

If you have long sequences of CR2, then I am guessing you're doing time-lapse? If that's the case, you might want to have a look at LRTimelapse — it can animate raw metadata changes of white balance, exposure, etc. before the conversion. I don't think it can export DPX, but it can do TIFF.

jong joug

PostFri Oct 31, 2014 3:06 pm

first frame
Last edited by jong joug on Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

waltervolpatto

PostFri Oct 31, 2014 4:26 pm

Elliott Balsley wrote:If you have long sequences of CR2, then I am guessing you're doing time-lapse? If that's the case, you might want to have a look at LRTimelapse — it can animate raw metadata changes of white balance, exposure, etc. before the conversion. I don't think it can export DPX, but it can do TIFF.

Elliot, do you have the ability to save a LOG format ot it will collapse to sRGB (or a flavor of it)?

(yes they are Iper-Stereo timelapses....)

Caryl Deyn

PostFri Oct 31, 2014 11:19 pm

jong joug wrote:The problem with AE and its Camera Raw module is that you can only adjust "the first frame of each shots". If you have a slate or flash frame as a first frame good luck.

Easy thing to solve, you can go to a middle frame and pick that one as an still import, once you got settings right you just import the sequence opening the metadata file that was saved from the still

RufusBlackwell

PostSat Nov 01, 2014 2:12 am

Caryl Deyn wrote:
jong joug wrote:The problem with AE and its Camera Raw module is that you can only adjust "the first frame of each shots". If you have a slate or flash frame as a first frame good luck.

Easy thing to solve, you can go to a middle frame and pick that one as an still import, once you got settings right you just import the sequence opening the metadata file that was saved from the still

Personally I think think Resolve/DNG route is the path of least resistance. I work with time-lapse a lot:

http://www.timelapsevfx.com

Transcoding to DNG is easy and it retains the folder hierarchy, you basically get a mirror of the CR2s. then Bingo, you are in Resolve and have all the controls you know and love, none of this first frame stuff. You can play the sequence back, grade and export for VFX.
DroneFX.tv

Caryl Deyn

PostSun Nov 02, 2014 2:24 am

jong joug wrote:
Caryl Deyn wrote:

Painful!
PS is better for this

you are been silly mate, the dialogue from PS or AE is the exact same one, and takes the exact same amount of time to open and sett a CR2 frame in either one.
On the AE side though you are ready to export the entire sequence, on PS you will have to create an action for that.

waltervolpatto

PostSun Nov 02, 2014 5:57 pm

jong joug wrote:
Caryl Deyn wrote:you are been silly mate, the dialogue from PS or AE is the exact same one, and takes the exact same amount of time to open and sett a CR2 frame in either one.

NO faster. PSCR gives all the frames to choose from at the same time

Caryl Deyn wrote:On the AE side though you are ready to export the entire sequence, on PS you will have to create an action for that.

No action needed. PSCR>Resolve

Rufus/Jong, I like your plan, unfortunately the issue is that the frames will go to different platform and DNG is not the preferred workflow (for vfx and stereo fixes): DPX/EXR are.

I cannot choose, that is why I specifically asked for CR2-->DPX (exr) in log/linear light.

Lee Gauthier

PostSun Nov 02, 2014 7:46 pm

I specifically asked for CR2-->DPX (exr) in log/linear light.

If you have a TD in the house, maybe they can code you something in Python that will use FFMPEG as an engine that could do it in one step. I've been unable to find a single utility that will convert CR2 directly into DPX or EXR.

Maybe you could contact someone at Adobe about making an experimental build of AME that will ingest CR2. It'd certainly be interesting to time-lapse photogs.

waltervolpatto

PostMon Nov 03, 2014 2:16 am

Lee Gauthier wrote:
I specifically asked for CR2-->DPX (exr) in log/linear light.

If you have a TD in the house, maybe they can code you something in Python that will use FFMPEG as an engine that could do it in one step. I've been unable to find a single utility that will convert CR2 directly into DPX or EXR.

Maybe you could contact someone at Adobe about making an experimental build of AME that will ingest CR2. It'd certainly be interesting to time-lapse photogs.

AE "can" handle the Cr2 (and sequence of them) and we have a render fa mapping or a Linear light mapping. Yes I can f**** with the curves until I get something that I like, but that is a "hand" correction, not a correct tonal mapping.... Knowing that most of them will go through a vfx pipeline prior to correction, I want to minimize the "human" factor and make a technical change.

One way is to go 16/32 bit format and let the AE do the conversion to rec709, then immediately do a gamma 1/2.4 to make linear. The density should be enough, but I'm afraid I have to manually recover the highlight and that is the "manual intervention" I want to avoid.

The preferred method, is to get the bayered signal (that is somewhat linear light) and map that straight to EXR. If a ACES workflow is doable I'm sold.

Elliott Balsley

PostMon Nov 03, 2014 4:46 am

Walter, I've never used LRTimelapse, so I can't answer that, I've just heard photographers recommend it.
There is a command-line tool called dcraw, which appears to do a high quality conversion. It can output 16-bit linear data, which can be piped to ffmpeg to write DPX in a single command line.
http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/
Elliott C. Balsley
DIT, Colorist, Cinematographer
www.llamafilm.com

waltervolpatto

PostMon Nov 03, 2014 5:04 am

Elliott Balsley wrote:Walter, I've never used LRTimelapse, so I can't answer that, I've just heard photographers recommend it.
There is a command-line tool called dcraw, which appears to do a high quality conversion. It can output 16-bit linear data, which can be piped to ffmpeg to write DPX in a single command line.
http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/

DCRAW gave me unwanted flashes in the sequence (from nuke)... I did not tried the last version thou...

bob parker

PostMon Nov 03, 2014 3:03 pm

Thanks Jong
I've probably read every site available on the subject of .cr but i've always come away from each of them with the same sequences of commands. Being an Adobe Certified Expert, I'm flabbergasted with your trick.
What color space do you use?

Janis Lionel

PostMon Nov 05, 2018 7:54 pm

Very good read here. Though, 4 years later and AE still being slow as f***. Adobe needs to work on their coding! Once you've rendered in Resolve all Adobe rendering times become a farce!
--
Windows 10 / i4930k @4.3Ghz / 32GB RAM / GTX 1080 / 12TB RAID 0 (4 x 3 TB) / Mini Monitor 4K / Eizo CG247x / Mainly working with CDNG 4:1

Return to Post Production