List of approved SSDs

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

rick.lang

Re: List of approved SSDs *updated*

PostMon Jul 21, 2014 9:48 pm

Andy Dopieralski wrote:I doubt the answer is yes, but can anyone from BMD let us know if any SLC SSDs are being tested for certification? They have a full order of magnitude advantage over the MLC drives in terms of lifespan. I know they're much more expensive, but they tend to have better sustained read/write and a MTBF up to 2M hours. SuperSSPeed makes some that are somewhat affordable, so it'd be interesting to see if work is being done to certify them.

These SLC drives have consistent high performance sequential read/write performance (good for video) and are apparently very reliable compared to MLC SSDs so they certainly would be worth certifying. If the SLC drive costs double what a MLC costs, but lasts for a few decades instead of a few years, it may be cheap in the long run. Only drawback is maximum 120 GB capacity I suppose. Perhaps that will change.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Moran Kariv

PostTue Jul 22, 2014 10:22 am

JustinWarren wrote:Hello there,

4K BMPC owner here. After trying the first few cards I owned that weren't the new Extreme Pros with lots of dropped frames shooting 4K Rawe, I picked up a couple 480GB Extreme Pros yesterday. I can now also attest that these work great--not a single dropped frame yet, and I even rolled out the whole card while shaking the camera and going handheld for 30 minutes straight. Can't get better than that!

I'm also extremely happy to see how much better the dynamic range is when shooting RAW on this camera. With "Highlight Recovery" turned on, viewing BMD Film in Resolve, I swear we're gaining a couple exra stops of latitude, seen dramatically in the highlights, and also more detail in the shadows. It's wonderful.

The storage for 4K Raw is really through the roof (1TB per hour, twice as much as Arriraw!), so I've been thinking of alternatives. I have a pretty robust 12-core DIT machine (Local 600 DIT here), and I'm thinking my workflow will most *often* be to transcode to Prores444 directly off the SSDs, and use those for my onlines.

Very good news!
So do you recommend buying the Sandisk 480GB Extreme Pro?
No drop frame at all??

Sebastian Kaz

PostTue Jul 22, 2014 12:46 pm

I got to 15 minutes, 2 seconds and 24 frames (shooting to 4K Raw, 30FPS -- longer record times at lower frame rates) before a 240GB card filled up, not a single dropped frame with the Extreme Pro's.
Very happy with that!

Matt Steeves

PostThu Jul 24, 2014 5:06 pm

I can confirm the successful use of the Sandisk Extreme II 480GB in the 4k production camera. Yes, the drive is thinner than the slot - but a lot of my other SSD peripherals are in that same condition. The small black frame that comes with the drive solves this. I opted to NOT use the double sided tape but rather slide them in together. I know that sounds strange and careless even - but I assure you the drive is completely snug.

On another note, I only buy SanDisk products for CF and SD cards. They were industry leaders and innovators with dawn solid state technology. So, to me it makes complete sense to use them exclusively. On top of that I have never had one of their products fail me - ever.

Hope that helps some of you.

Cheers,

Matt

Andy Dopieralski

PostSun Jul 27, 2014 1:48 am

rick.lang wrote:These SLC drives have consistent high performance sequential read/write performance (good for video) and are apparently very reliable compared to MLC SSDs so they certainly would be worth certifying. If the SLC drive costs double what a MLC costs, but lasts for a few decades instead of a few years, it may be cheap in the long run. Only drawback is maximum 120 GB capacity I suppose. Perhaps that will change.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD

Well, I picked up a 128GB SuperSSpeed drive to test. It is worthless in the camera.

It won't write a single frame in RAW and locks the camera until removed.

Luckily I got it with the intent of using it for a laptop at work if it failed in the camera, so it's not a complete loss, but avoid these entirely.
http://watch.yourlamefriends.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1504735/

Dave Perry

PostSun Jul 27, 2014 2:06 am

Andy Dopieralski wrote:
rick.lang wrote:These SLC drives have consistent high performance sequential read/write performance (good for video) and are apparently very reliable compared to MLC SSDs so they certainly would be worth certifying. If the SLC drive costs double what a MLC costs, but lasts for a few decades instead of a few years, it may be cheap in the long run. Only drawback is maximum 120 GB capacity I suppose. Perhaps that will change.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD

Well, I picked up a 128GB SuperSSpeed drive to test. It is worthless in the camera.

Luckily I got it with the intent of using it for a laptop at work if it failed in the camera, so it's not a complete loss, but avoid these entirely.

My experience is to basically avoid anything not officially on the lists from BMD, regardless of who else has tested them. It's a bummer they didn't release the list for 4k raw with 1.8 but at least we now have one SSD in 3 capacities that works 100%. I used a 480 gig yesterday in the blazing afternoon sun on a highway overpass construction site until it was filled and it worked like a charm.
BMUM 4.6k PL, S1H
----------------------------------------------
Dave Perry Cinematographer LLC
Director of Photography • Camera Operator
2046 High Tower Dr. Unit 1
Hollywood USA 90068
daveperry.net

Andy Dopieralski

PostSun Jul 27, 2014 2:29 am

Dave Perry wrote:My experience is to basically avoid anything not officially on the lists from BMD, regardless of who else has tested them. It's a bummer they didn't release the list for 4k raw with 1.8 but at least we now have one SSD in 3 capacities that works 100%. I used a 480 gig yesterday in the blazing afternoon sun on a highway overpass construction site until it was filled and it worked like a charm.

I completely agree. This was a 'hey, we have been talking about these in theory and I have a reason to get one for something else' situation.
http://watch.yourlamefriends.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1504735/

rick.lang

PostSun Jul 27, 2014 3:45 am

Dave Perry wrote:
Andy Dopieralski wrote:

My experience is to basically avoid anything not officially on the lists from BMD, regardless of who else has tested them. It's a bummer they didn't release the list for 4k raw with 1.8 but at least we now have one SSD in 3 capacities that works 100%. I used a 480 gig yesterday in the blazing afternoon sun on a highway overpass construction site until it was filled and it worked like a charm.

Totally agree, Dave. Just thought the SLC S301 looked so promising. Thanks for testing, Andy!
Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostMon Jul 28, 2014 6:45 pm

rick.lang wrote:Totally agree, Dave. Just thought the SLC S301 looked so promising. Thanks for testing, Andy!

I have received a response back from Lexar about their unreleased 3400x CFast 2 cards and support for BMD cameras shooting 4K video. They are hopeful at this point that they can achieve 48 fps data rates (which I had defined to them as 415 MB/s) but the cards have not been released yet for their internal testing. At least they seemed to be aware of the use of their cards in video cameras (although their site list Arri but not BMD yet). And they replied quickly and fully to my query.

Edit: Oh, good grief, corrected original post about Lexar SSDs. I meant CFast 2 cards!
Last edited by rick.lang on Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Lang

Shane Scott

Slow Motion with the 4K

PostWed Jul 30, 2014 4:39 am

I just bought the 4k and did the latest update. Looking at the Epic and Bm 4k footage on youtube I noticed the only real concern is will this ever be updated to shoot slow motion? BTW this is the first form I have ever joined so forgive any ignorance of how to get the most out of it. Thanks to all.

Dave Perry

Re: Slow Motion with the 4K

PostWed Jul 30, 2014 5:59 pm

Shane Scott wrote:I just bought the 4k and did the latest update. Looking at the Epic and Bm 4k footage on youtube I noticed the only real concern is will this ever be updated to shoot slow motion? BTW this is the first form I have ever joined so forgive any ignorance of how to get the most out of it. Thanks to all.

Hi Shane. Welcome to the forums. There is a lot of great info here to search through and if you can't find what you are looking for, someone usually comes up with a solution.

Regarding over cranking on the 4k Production Camera, I seriously doubt it will ever happen. However, if you typically shoot 24fps, you can over crank to 30fps and get a nice softening of the motion.

The Ursa on the other hand, does over crank to 60fps which is a decent amount if you conform it to 24fps.
BMUM 4.6k PL, S1H
Hollywood USA 90068
daveperry.net

Anna Petrova

PostWed Jul 30, 2014 8:34 pm

BMPC4K:
Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB and 500 GB.
RAW recording = 100% OK.
RAW playback = 100% OK.
(Also ProRes is 100% OK, ofc.)
Sometimes camera displays "NO SSD" (reboot can help or change the shooting mode and switch back).
Better not to buy Samsung 840 EVO 125 GB due to slower speeds for a RAW records.

The only issue (dont know if a SSD issue):
For example, if I shoot 25p, Adobe AE shows 30fps on importing DNGs via ACR.
But when I interpret footage (changing input FPS) to 25p then all OK.
BTW, Resolve 11 Beta shows correct 25p. Could it be an AE issue?

Milan Michalik

PostFri Aug 01, 2014 8:10 am

change your settings in After Effects - default fps for import image sequences is 30fps :-)
BigSur, X299, Intel i9 14core, 128GB RAM, AMD XT6900, BM mini monitor,
Resolve 18.1.4 Studio, Elements panel

Anna Petrova

PostFri Aug 01, 2014 9:42 am

So simple! Thank You! ;)

Adrien Le Lorier

PostSat Aug 02, 2014 4:41 pm

What is the final report about Sandisk extreme II 480go for the BMCC , I claimed a waranty from them about my Sandisk extreme 1 and they just send me a replacement ... I've read good things and the opposite...

Dave Perry

PostSat Aug 02, 2014 4:49 pm

Adrien Le Lorier wrote:What is the final report about Sandisk extreme II 480go for the BMCC , I claimed a waranty from them about my Sandisk extreme 1 and they just send me a replacement ... I've read good things and the opposite...

If it's not on the official list I would not rely on it for critical work.
BMUM 4.6k PL, S1H
Hollywood USA 90068
daveperry.net

Perry Mulder

Anyone tried the new Samsung 850 Pro?

PostWed Aug 06, 2014 8:46 am

Hi Blackmagicfriends,

I'm looking for a SSd that will be able to record 4K Raw without any framedrops.
I stumbled on the new Samsung 850 Pro SSD's.
They have not been tested by blackmagic since they are not on the recommanded list yet.
But I think that has more to do with the fact that they were launched a few weeks ago.

Has anyone tried them? Since the testresults from Hardware.info show us they are beating the recommanded Sandisk Extreme Pro's on most specs. Check this link: http://us.hardware.info/comparisontable/products/221898-223201

So maybe it's worth looking into? The nice thing about them is that they also have a 1TB SSD, so that would mean you could record an hour of RAW footage on one SSD!:-) The smaller SSD is 520gb instead of 480gb on the Sandisk.

Price is about the same.

Hope they will be tested as well :D
"http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?15224-My-first-82min-featurelength-film-(filmed-with-BMPC)"

Anna Petrova

Re: Anyone tried the new Samsung 850 Pro?

PostWed Aug 06, 2014 10:28 am

Perry Mulder wrote:
Price is about the same.

Hi! Please, check my upper message.
We are using EVO 840. It is still much cheaper and have the same speeds with PRO.
We got many of 500GB and 250GB: no corrupted frames or any errors.
Only thing is when You exceed like 70% of its capacity, You cant see some RAW-recs on the list
but can playback it anyway. And a little lag at start of playback for these "ghost" RAWs.

PS: About PRO. Seems like it is OK (the same) for speeds, but more reliable for a long data storage.
We're using the PRO for a PC hards and the EVO for a rawrec.

Perry Mulder

Re: Anyone tried the new Samsung 850 Pro?

PostThu Aug 07, 2014 10:48 am

Anna Petrova wrote:
Perry Mulder wrote:
Price is about the same.

Hi! Please, check my upper message.
We are using EVO 840. It is still much cheaper and have the same speeds with PRO.
We got many of 500GB and 250GB: no corrupted frames or any errors.
Only thing is when You exceed like 70% of its capacity, You cant see some RAW-recs on the list
but can playback it anyway. And a little lag at start of playback for these "ghost" RAWs.

PS: About PRO. Seems like it is OK (the same) for speeds, but more reliable for a long data storage.
We're using the PRO for a PC hards and the EVO for a rawrec.

Hi Anna, thank you for the replay. But I doubt that the EVO's will hold up against the 4k RAW recording without any dropped frames. Purely from the specslist is in no way gonna perform like you said, since even de 840 Pro's show dropped frames, their topmodel. I also found this post where someone confirms this in the replay (a guy named David Goodin): http://www.geekbraindump.com/2014/07/01/samsung-850-pro-ssd-coming-q4/#sthash.94O7AITV.dpbs

If you did get your hands on 840 Evo's that do not show dropped frames while recording RAW I guess you belong to a lucky few. But I'm not gonna risk it. Also the 840 Pro's are not the same speed as the EVO's there is a huge diff. almost 80% faster in most scenario's. There is a reason for it being more expensive. And even those are not on the compatiblelist for 4K RAW. See this link.http://us.hardware.info/comparisontable/products/194681-162790

So my question remains, if someone has the 850 Pro's, please share your experience with 4K RAW recording :D :D :D
"http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?15224-My-first-82min-featurelength-film-(filmed-with-BMPC)"

Uwe Boettcher

PostThu Aug 07, 2014 12:08 pm

Hello!

As i wrote before, i have a 840 EVO 500 GB and with 4KRAW 30P not one dropped frame!
Since last week i have the 1TB version and no problems until now!

BMPC 4K Firmware 1.8

Kind regards.

Dave Perry

PostThu Aug 07, 2014 12:57 pm

UweB wrote:Hello!

As i wrote before, i have a 840 EVO 500 GB and with 4KRAW 30P not one dropped frame!
Since last week i have the 1TB version and no problems until now!

BMPC 4K Firmware 1.8

Kind regards.

The best bet if you need to be assured no frames are dropped is to stick with the official list from BMD. I shot all weekend with the new SanDisk Extreme Pro 480 gig in raw with no problems.
BMUM 4.6k PL, S1H
Hollywood USA 90068
daveperry.net

David Moffitt

PostFri Aug 08, 2014 6:16 am

Dave Perry wrote:The best bet if you need to be assured no frames are dropped is to stick with the official list from BMD. I shot all weekend with the new SanDisk Extreme Pro 480 gig in raw with no problems.

Which 480 (model/part number) and where can one find said list? When I called BM 2 weeks ago they said "oh, oops, the list we have is for the BMCC RAW, we don't have list for BMPC4K RAW but will work on it" - did I miss something re that? I'm frustrated that my Kingston 240 (the good ones not the c300 slow junk) which work brilliantly for 2.5k and for 4k pro-res are essentially paperweights now. Need to buy new drives, want to buy once (the second time) and know it's gonna work...
David Moffitt

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostFri Aug 08, 2014 6:47 am

davidmoffitt wrote:
Dave Perry wrote:The best bet if you need to be assured no frames are dropped is to stick with the official list from BMD. I shot all weekend with the new SanDisk Extreme Pro 480 gig in raw with no problems.

Which 480 (model/part number) and where can one find said list? When I called BM 2 weeks ago they said "oh, oops, the list we have is for the BMCC RAW, we don't have list for BMPC4K RAW but will work on it" - did I miss something re that? I'm frustrated that my Kingston 240 (the good ones not the c300 slow junk) which work brilliantly for 2.5k and for 4k pro-res are essentially paperweights now. Need to buy new drives, want to buy once (the second time) and know it's gonna work...

The first post in this thread was recently updated ...
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12753

... and points to the BMPC-4K SSD FAQ on BMD's website (including part # for SSDs):
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/faq/59007

There's related info in the updated BMPC-4K user manual that's part of the firmware 1.9 download. See page 12 in the PDF:
http://software.blackmagicdesign.com/Ci ... 4_2014.pdf

-

John Palaganas

PostFri Aug 08, 2014 11:32 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:
davidmoffitt wrote:

The first post in this thread was recently updated ...
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12753

... and points to the BMPC-4K SSD FAQ on BMD's website (including part # for SSDs):
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/faq/59007

There's related info in the updated BMPC-4K user manual that's part of the firmware 1.9 download. See page 12 in the PDF:
http://software.blackmagicdesign.com/Ci ... 4_2014.pdf

-

Peter delivers again! thank you!

Anna Petrova

PostMon Aug 18, 2014 1:46 am

Anna Petrova wrote:BMPC4K:
RAW recording = 100% OK.
RAW playback = 100% OK.
Sometimes camera displays "NO SSD" (reboot can help or change the shooting mode and switch back).
Better not to buy Samsung 840 EVO 125 GB due to slower speeds for a RAW records.

The only issue (dont know if a SSD issue):
For example, if I shoot 25p, Adobe AE shows 30fps on importing DNGs via ACR.
But when I interpret footage (changing input FPS) to 25p then all OK.
BTW, Resolve 11 Beta shows correct 25p. Could it be an AE issue?

So, EVO 840 isnt 100% OK with 4k25p raw rec.
Once we have had some frames dropped after recording 7 min long.
Had no much time to find out the true reason. Anyway, it is still OK for 5-6 min takes. And cheaper.

p.s.: SSD was not formatted before rec, previous files just deleted.
Is this the reason, who knows?

Andrea Monzini

PostSat Aug 23, 2014 1:45 pm

My Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB and Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB seem to work well with BMPC 4K RAW.

Sometimes i had "no ssd" problem but usually i have to wait few seconds to see the ssd.
If you do not see the ssd maybe try to switch to ProRes for few seconds or reboot the camera.

In any case i had used 24 fps only.

taj

PostSat Aug 23, 2014 9:50 pm

Anna Petrova wrote:
Anna Petrova wrote:BMPC4K:
RAW recording = 100% OK.
RAW playback = 100% OK.

So, EVO 840 isnt 100% OK with 4k25p raw rec.
Once we have had some frames dropped after recording 7 min long.
Had no much time to find out the true reason. Anyway, it is still OK for 5-6 min takes. And cheaper.

p.s.: SSD was not formatted before rec, previous files just deleted.
Is this the reason, who knows?

You should try formatting the SSD before recording
Taj Williams

Dave Perry

PostSat Aug 23, 2014 10:34 pm

Always reformatt before use and stick with what's on the official list.
BMUM 4.6k PL, S1H
Hollywood USA 90068
daveperry.net

Anna Petrova

PostMon Aug 25, 2014 12:23 am

Thank you guys for the tip.

Subrata Senn

PostSun Sep 07, 2014 4:43 am

With 1.9.5 firmware released, making it possible to format the disks in camera, I have noticed a vast improvement in Raw recording in my 4K camera. Even Kingston 240 GB V300 is not dropping frames, on a few test runs if I format them in-camera with HFS+ or ExFat. I need to test extensively to be absolutely sure, I just cannot take a risk on a professional shooting.

When will BMD update the official list of SSDs in this changed scenario? I know Sandisk Extreme Pro wouldn't drop frames anyway. Now many more SSDs should be performing okay.

Would be waiting for the official list to come. So far, there is no update.
Independent filmmaker/producer
Owner of post production facility for cinema including grading and creation of DCPs.

Mark Jamerson

PostSun Sep 14, 2014 7:36 pm

Subrata Senn wrote:With 1.9.5 firmware released, making it possible to format the disks in camera, I have noticed a vast improvement in Raw recording in my 4K camera. Even Kingston 240 GB V300 is not dropping frames, on a few test runs if I format them in-camera with HFS+ or ExFat. I need to test extensively to be absolutely sure, I just cannot take a risk on a professional shooting.

When will BMD update the official list of SSDs in this changed scenario? I know Sandisk Extreme Pro wouldn't drop frames anyway. Now many more SSDs should be performing okay.

how long did you let it run for?
Mark Jamerson
Jamerson Studios

Baikuntha Rout

PostMon Sep 15, 2014 5:44 pm

i have used intel 520 series 240gb for 4k raw recording and it works perfectly without any drop frame. any advice?

Subrata Senn

PostTue Sep 16, 2014 6:42 am

Mark Jamerson wrote:
Subrata Senn wrote:With 1.9.5 firmware released, making it possible to format the disks in camera, I have noticed a vast improvement in Raw recording in my 4K camera. Even Kingston 240 GB V300 is not dropping frames, on a few test runs if I format them in-camera with HFS+ or ExFat. I need to test extensively to be absolutely sure, I just cannot take a risk on a professional shooting.

how long did you let it run for?

I have two SSDs. Ran them one after the other after the 1.9.5 update till the disks filled up.
Independent filmmaker/producer
Owner of post production facility for cinema including grading and creation of DCPs.

Curt Massof

PostMon Sep 29, 2014 3:44 pm

We purchased a bunch of the Digistor 480GB SSD Professional Video Series SSDs back when we purchased the camera. They were supposedly developed in conjunction with BM and for the BMCs.

At the time, 4K RAW wasn't available but they worked great for 4K ProRes. When RAW was released, I did some tests and found I didn't drop frames while recording but playback was hit or miss. Even if it did play back once, it didn't mean it would again. Black frame with audio, first 2 seconds then freeze, these were the results I was getting. And still am.

I have tried computer formatting and in camera formatting in both ExFat and HFS+. Same results.

For recording, I feel confident I am getting the footage, but it does suck when you have to explain to the director that he can't watch that take back.

On to the Sandisks, I guess.
Mac OS Big Sur 11.6.3
Mac Pro (2019)
3.2 GHz 16-Core Intel Xeon W
96 GB 2933 MHz DDR4
AMD Radeon Pro Vega II Duo 32 GB
Qnap Network Storage
Resolve 18.5 Studio

Second Rig: Macbook Pro
M1 Pro 16GB
Qnap Raid
Resolve 18.5 Studio

Mark Jamerson

PostMon Sep 29, 2014 7:18 pm

Do the first Sandisk Extreme's work for 4K RAW?

Part # SDSSDX-480G-G25
Mark Jamerson
Jamerson Studios

rick.lang

PostTue Sep 30, 2014 3:28 am

We have previously been told that Digistor is currently working with BMD on being able to have SSDs that will be certified for 4K raw in the BMPC4K camera. I haven't heard of this effort being concluded yet.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Miguel Castillo

PostThu Oct 02, 2014 5:36 pm

What about the new Sandisk Extreme Pro 960GB SSD ?
Is ok for the cinema 2.5k and also the production camera at 4k Raw?
I don't see this in the *updated list of approved SSDs*
LOADING.. 70%
BMCC.
Rokinon Cine Lens Kit.
Redrock Micro ultraCage™ Black Professional Series & microMatteBox.

Andrey Mishchenko

PostFri Oct 03, 2014 1:49 am

Miguel Castillo wrote:What about the new Sandisk Extreme Pro 960GB SSD ?

It's on the approved list for 4K production! https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/faq/59007

I got one from B&H last week for $450 (it was on sale) to use with Production 4K camera.
Works like a charm for 4K RAW at 25/30fps.
My other SSDs Intel 530 240gb works at 25fps RAW but skips at RAW 30fps.

960 gb pretty right size! :-) About 45 min in 4K RAW and 2-12 hours 4K Prores - depend on quality settings.

Good luck!

Best Regards,
Andrey
New Zealand - North Island, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xd2hTxQx4A

Miguel Castillo

PostFri Oct 03, 2014 2:11 am

AndrVlad wrote:
Miguel Castillo wrote:What about the new Sandisk Extreme Pro 960GB SSD ?

It's on the approved list for 4K production! https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/faq/59007

I got one from B&H last week for $450 (it was on sale) to use with Production 4K camera.
Works like a charm for 4K RAW at 25/30fps.
My other SSDs Intel 530 240gb works at 25fps RAW but skips at RAW 30fps.

960 gb pretty right size! :-) About 45 min in 4K RAW and 2-12 hours 4K Prores - depend on quality settings.

Good luck!

Best Regards,
Andrey

I really want to know if this SSD work on the cinema camera, I read few topics about "error no ssd" using it, maybe it only works on 4k Raw..

Any way I'll search more reviews.

Good luck for you too!

Regards,
Miguel
LOADING.. 70%
BMCC.
Rokinon Cine Lens Kit.
Redrock Micro ultraCage™ Black Professional Series & microMatteBox.

carlomacchiavello

PostTue Oct 14, 2014 4:10 pm

uhm... too much talk, nothing of real organized information...
if you want to help other user you must do some test in the controlled condition, to verified that could be repetible.

SSD must tested in the follow way :
- formatted in camera HFS+ and ExFat and tested in both way
- record RAW4K from start to end of space, to check constant recording ability
- record ProRes4K at best quality from start to end of space, to check constant recording ability
- record only at 30 fps, to verify best performance on hardest situation

record must be in front of a simple running timecode on our screen, to check eventually frame skipping.

For every test must be filled follow information :

- name/brand of disk
- code of disk (to verify that we can bought same disk)
- when you bought it
- size
- camera used for test
- firmware of camera
- tested for 4kRaw24p/25p/30p

without ones of these informations we can't build a constant and affordable list of SSD that we can use.

I know that BMC do an approved list of SSD, but when (like we saw) producer change its ssd without notice the users, BMC can't help us to avoid a bad buying.

I decide to do my small 2 cent. today i reiceved my bmc 4k, i updated to 1.9.8 and i did a test with first SSD that i have Here.

crucial m500 240 gb is good for raw 24p/25p from start to FullofDisk, but not for 30p where drop frame after 30-40seconds.

i organized a spreedsheet here
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15EE-H9r4b-viJN-3zU2QM3ZspEY6wpZf3X_RN5JWqKA/edit?usp=sharing

please do not spam it, but fill with your experience, ONLY REAL TEST not your ideas, ONLY FULL RECORDING FROM START TO FULL OF SSD

Chris Ezeani

PostThu Oct 16, 2014 5:23 pm

jean1979 wrote:Hi everyone. thanks for the updated list Tony. I also need to be sure if the sandisk extreme II 240/480gb are ok. Actually, believe or not I was about to buy one of this when I saw the post ! and if it works, do I need an adaptor to make it "fit" perfectly? I read something about physical sizing issue...

I have the extreme ll and it now comes with what is called a spacer (written in front of the box) which makes it an exact fit like other ssds and also has 4K Video written specifically on its box unlike before it came with a 3.5 mounting bracket which explains the reason people complained in the past due to it not having the right size of thickness but with the spacer its exactly the same right size as the rest... and it has not dropped frames on me when shooting 4k RAW

And lastly on the older one's box, it had no 4k Video written on it. so there is a difference
Chris Ezeani
http://www.knowhowtvlive.com

Chris Zayachkowski

PostFri Oct 31, 2014 2:07 am

Hey,

I'm wondering if anyone has had success with the Sandisk Ultra II with the 4K camera when shooting in ProRes.

Chris

Chris Zayachkowski

PostFri Oct 31, 2014 2:08 am

Benjamin Brown wrote:I have been using the Extreme II 240GB for a month or so. Shot every format except DNxHD. It has been a solid performer.

The question about the shim is simple. It sticks on and slides in. I hope that clears it up.

I've attached an image. The tape is on the SSD for my reference of used or clean. I believe I borrowed the idea from a Frank Glencairn post. Thanks for that. The black tape on the end is a handle. My fingers won't fit inside the tiny area to remove the drive.

photo.JPG

Which model?

J Stutts

PostSun Nov 02, 2014 7:48 pm

Anyone know if the Crucial MX100 works? At USD $225.00 for 512 GBs it's hard to pass up!

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ssd/ct512mx100ssd1
http://film.jstutts.com

Colin Barrett

PostMon Nov 03, 2014 3:21 pm

I thought it was me who came to think that the Sandisk Extreme II's were a bit thin. I'm using their 240GB SSDs in a BM MultiDock and they do indeed sit uncomfortably. It's almost like you want to put something underneath them to prop them up in the slot!!

FWIW, I use them to capture 10-Bit Uncompressed YUV 422 Quicktime, ProRes422 HQ and DPX Sequence from professional videotape decks with a Teranex 2D over Thunderbolt and have experienced absolutely no problems with them whatever. Touch wood.
Blackmagic Teranex 2D, Ultrastudio Express, Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt), Two H.264 Pro Recorders (Mac OSX) & lots of old VTRs used for digital archiving of legacy video formats for major libraries, broadcasters, universities and public archives.

carlomacchiavello

PostSat Nov 08, 2014 12:22 am

Jared Stutts wrote:Anyone know if the Crucial MX100 works? At USD $225.00 for 512 GBs it's hard to pass up!

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ssd/ct512mx100ssd1

i just bought and successfully tested crucial m550 512 gb, i record 4k raw 30p from start to end of disk without stop and without drop frame, BUT...

after few day of test, i can see some strange work.
if i turn on camera, and ssd is recognized, all work fine. If is not recognized i must turn off and on camera many times to be recognized.
the strange thing is that camera recognize it, also when say no ssd, but not mount it, if i go on menu i can format it, and use, but if turn off camera, then i turn on, is a russian roulette...

i think is connected to the bootup time of ssd controller.
Crucial M500 240gb work fine everytime i use it, but is slow, then only 24/25p 4 raw, not 30p raw.

Christopher Dobey

PostWed Nov 19, 2014 1:33 pm

Just bought a SanDisk Extreme Pro 240GB to replace my Samsung EVO 840 1TB. Can I just say how nice it is to have ZERO dropped 4K RAW frames? :D
Nikon Z6 | Ninja V ProRes RAW
Resolve Studio 18 Beta | macOS 12.3.1
Apple M1 Max MacBook Pro, 10 core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64GB memory
Pro Display XDR | Micro Panel

BillMontei

PostMon Nov 24, 2014 6:56 pm

I've been using Sandisk Extreme II 480s to shoot single one hour plus files (ProRes HQ 4k)
and 1-5 minute shots, as well, on my BM 4k Production Camera.
I shoot a lot and reuse multiple Extreme II 480s
I also use them for editing in the BM Multi Dock...
So far no issues, no dropped frames.

I do not shoot RAW so nothing to share there...
Your performance may vary! :D

Pier Laurenza

PostThu Nov 27, 2014 4:20 am

Hi
Please forgive my ignorance !
I am in the market to buy som SSDs ; on the OWC web it is mentioned that the Mercury Extreme Pro 6G is on the list of approved SSD's , I just downloaded the PDF and I don't see it !
Anyone has ever used one in 4K RAW ?
Cheers
Pier

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/ ... me_Pro_6G/

Benton Collins

PostTue Dec 02, 2014 1:17 am

I may have missed it, but it looks like the Sandisk Extreeme Pro SSD only works well with 4K RAW and not the 2.5K RAW. Is this correct? Amazon has a deal today on the Extreeme Pro 240gb for $129.99, but if it does not work well with the BMCC in 2.5k RAW, it won't work for me. Thanks!
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography