Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion for Mac OSX

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Grant Petty

Blackmagic Design

Fusion for Mac OSX

PostMon Nov 10, 2014 8:30 pm

Hi,

Some people have asked about Fusion for Mac OS X and so I wanted to make some comments about it.

Normally we don’t talk about products we have not announced yet, however the question of Fusion for Mac OS X is kind of an obvious question so it's something we should answer.

Yes, we are working on a version of Fusion for Mac OS X, but there are some important things to know about that.

We are lucky that the engineering team who has been working on Fusion 7 has kept the codebase very modern and clean so that allows us to move it forward. However there is some Windows specific code in the buttons and menus in Fusion, and that code is being changed out right now. What that means is the time it's going to take to do a Mac OS X version of Fusion is a bit unknown, and so it's impossible right now to specify any kind of release day. It's impossible to even know when we can show a Mac OS X version too.

However it's early days. We have only been working with Fusion as a Blackmagic Design product for a few weeks and so we will know more soon hopefully.

We have already doubled the size of the engineering team and so this means we should be able to move faster, depending on how the team grows and works together. The trick is to work on a Mac OS X version of Fusion, as well as doing all the other things we want to do, such as new features. A bigger team will help that. There is a lot more we want to do than just the Mac OS X version, even though that's important!

One thing I can say though, is that our plan is to allow anyone who purchases the Windows version of Fusion 7 Studio to use their dongle on the Mac and to be able to download that Mac OS X version of Fusion free of charge. That's what we do with DaVinci Resolve and it's very flexible and I think helps people a lot. So we want to do that with Fusion also, even though they are very different types of software.

I hope this helps people somewhat. I am sorry I cannot be more specific with timeframes, but it's early days and so this is about the limit of the information I have. But we are all working hard so I hope we have some news soon.

I use a Mac so I want to use Fusion without needing the VMware emulator I need to use now!

Regards,

Grant Petty
Blackmagic Design

Return to Fusion