Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

3D navigation with no mouse ?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Helge Tjelta

3D navigation with no mouse ?

PostTue Nov 11, 2014 9:48 pm

Hi, I operate computers with a trackpad or a Tablet (Wacom).

How do I do 3D orbit, rotation, cam moves etc. with no Middle Button Mouse ? Can I set this up myself ?

Also If I setup multiple savers, how can I disable them and enable them at once... like 10 outputs (for multiscreen-setup for exhibition, this is nice)

Miltos Pilalitos

Re: 3D navigation with no mouse ?

PostWed Nov 12, 2014 1:30 am

If you have one of the Wacom's buttons set up as the middle button then:

You can pan/tilt by pressing the Middle Button while hovering the pen
You can Zoom in/out by keeping the Middle button pressed and moving the pen left/right on the tablet
You can orbit the view by pressing ALt+ Middle Button and hover the pen

You can disable any node by selecting it and pressing CTRL+P for Pass Through mode. You can do this for multiple nodes as well.
Windows 10 x64 • Threadripper 1950x • 64GB RAM • RTX 4090 24GB • Latest Nvidia drivers
Fusioneer since Fu4.0 • Resolver since v9

Helge Tjelta

PostWed Nov 12, 2014 7:55 am

Thanks Miltos, but the button on the pen is a no good option, forces me to a non-ergonomical handgrip, which was really hard to master.

I really would like to have an option with a keyboard key pressed (or two). Much easier with a "one hand on keyboard, and one hand on the tablet" operation.

also, I did try this in VMware Fusion, with Windows 10 tech preview. And 3D was not that great in that environment, which is pretty understandable. Even though I have a New Mac Pro with the D700 GPUs.

I'll wait for the mac version for 3D and particles. I'll try other stuff until then.

BUT how do I do it on a trackpad, with no buttons ?

Glenn Sakatch

PostWed Nov 12, 2014 3:08 pm

I use fusion with a tablet and pen. I actually prefer it to the mouse. Yes the middle button takes a bit to get used to. I did have to map the buttones differently than normal to get it to work properly. Not in front of the box right now, but i believe i made either the right or left click buttons on the pen into the middle button. ( probably the lower button) Then i think the tip of the pen becomes the left click.

Holding down ctrl either pressing a button, or simply lowering the pen near the surface allows you to zoom, pan and rotate.

How would you do it with a track pad with no buttons? You wouldn't.

Return to Fusion