Replacing QTs with R3D in Resolve - auto scale to 1920x1080?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

dav3evans

Replacing QTs with R3D in Resolve - auto scale to 1920x1080?

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 2:30 pm

Hey guys,

Probably a simple question but would like to know anyone's best practise. I'm doing a test with Resolve at the moment, using offline QTs in a sequence, and then generating an XML.

When I import the XML, instead of pointing to the proxies, I give it the directory with the R3D files in and everything imports without a problem, except for the obvious difference in size, from 1080p to 4k.

Now I imagine that some people out there would want to grade in 4K which is cool, but is there a "proper way" to have the clips in the timeline scale themselves back down to full HD resolution? I can see that using the TRACK + Format option works fine manually, but I'm thinking there might be a little tick box that I'm missing to do it automatically.

The idea behind this is that rather than having it at 4K, you have all the extra room between full HD and 4k for additional zoom ups if they are needed..we see this happen quite a bit so it would be useful to know.

Any questions/additional information requests/criticisms on the query welcome :)

Cheers!

Dave.

John Tissavary

Re: Replacing QTs with R3D in Resolve - auto scale to 1920x1

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 5:05 pm

This is a very basic workflow setup - easy to do in Resolve.

1) Open settings

2) Click on 'Image Scaling'

3) Click on 'Scale entire image to fit' or 'Scale full frame with crop' depending on your needs / spec

best,

JT
John Tissavary
colorist
the post collective

dav3evans

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 9:28 pm

Hey JT, thanks for the reply.

I did try this already I believe, but this only has an effect on the output that you see on the monitor/projector.

What I'm referring to is what is effectively on the canvas. Set at 1920x1080, with R3D files imported, they stay full 4k size, and you just see a HD section of what you have imported.

To get the full image in the canvas area, you can do it by zooming out almost completely so it fits, but ideally looking for an automated process.

Best,

Dave

John Tissavary

PostThu Nov 29, 2012 3:13 am

If that's the effect then you set output scaling preset instead of input scaling preset... they're both on the same page in settings.
John Tissavary
colorist
the post collective

dav3evans

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 10:58 am

I'll give it a bash when I next get the chance. Thanks dude =]

Adonis

PostSat Dec 01, 2012 5:57 am

well, they know where they are, not how hard/how long they’ve applied torque - important for repeatable moves.. :D
--Adonis
www.lovemyhome.net/business

Return to Post Production