Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Upgrade for path for Fusion 6.XX owners

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

DavidMackenzie

Upgrade for path for Fusion 6.XX owners

PostFri Nov 14, 2014 12:03 am

Hi Guys,

I own fusion 6.3 and I am not subs with eyeon, mainly because I felt Fusion 7 was never going to materialise at one point. Is there an upgrade path for Fusion 6.XX owners?

Cheers,
Dave

Mark Baird

Re: Upgrade for path for Fusion 6.XX owners

PostFri Nov 21, 2014 1:51 am

Dito this question. I have been a fusion user since v 2.0 but never had a support contract. It just never made sense for me. Not complaining either. I loved the guys at Eyeon but the product just never grew to its potential. i am encouraged and excited to see that BM has it.

Anyway, I want studio simply for the AVID tie in. any deals for existing dongle holders? or is it just a re-purchase? (and again, not saying that it's not a fair price even if repurchase is the only option.)

Thanks and really looking forward to what BM does with fusion!

MB
Resolve 16 b x on HP Z 820 with 2x K5000 Quadros. Windows 10 build 17134. Two Intel Xeon E5-2680 CPUs at 2.7gig. 128 gig of ram.

Stu Friedberg

PostFri Nov 21, 2014 6:47 am

The current official word, distributed by email to Fusion subscribers, is that there is no current discount toward Fusion 7.5 Studio if you weren't on Eyeon Fusion maintenance at the time of the acquisition. And that they don't have any definite plans for changing the current situation.

Writing politely to BMD might possible change things.

Stefan Ihringer

PostFri Nov 21, 2014 8:26 am

Wasn't 6.3 released like 3 years ago? So 3 times $500 maintenance fees are $1500.

You get Fusion 7 + Dimension ($400) AND Generation ($900) for $1000 now. That's a hell of a deal.

If you don't agree, you can get Fusion 7 for free! (a $1500 value in your case - a little less due to the missing render farm support).

I understand if people complain to BMD if their subscription ran out in 2014 before the acquisition. After all, eyeon let their customers in limbo without updates for more than a year.

But a discount if you're still on 6.3? BMD might give you one if you ask but I wouldn't count on it.

I mean, I still have an iPhone 4 because neither the 4S nor the 5 seemed worth the money. But I don't think Apple should give me a discounted iPhone 6 now :-)
blog and Fusion stuff: http://comp-fu.com/2012/06/fusion-script-macro-collection/

MichaelMiller

PostSat Nov 22, 2014 8:02 am

I emailed BMD asking the same question and they said that there is currently no upgrade plan for those who do not have v7 or are not on maintenance. My maintenance lapsed in June of this year and I was hoping for an upgrade price of some kind and not having to repurchase the the software all over again.

EDIT: BMD did inform me that I do qualify for a free upgrade to Fusion Studio so I am patiently waiting for its release(and hopefully future Linux support)!
Last edited by MichaelMiller on Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

DavidMackenzie

PostSun Nov 23, 2014 8:18 am

Stefan, I bought my 6.3 license about ~2 years ago I believe, maybe longer I can't recall.

I would also like to point out that I am not complaining, I am just asking the question. I recognise the value in the new Studio license. The reason I am asking is because Eyeon had quoted me $595 to get get my subs up to date not long ago and was curious what the situation is now.

But nevermind. Apparently asking a seemingly straight forward question means it should get an attitude laden response from Stefan.

Cheers,
Dave

Return to Fusion