Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

No upgrade path for Fusion users off of maintenance.

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

MichaelMiller

No upgrade path for Fusion users off of maintenance.

PostWed Nov 19, 2014 1:57 am

I got an email today from a BMD representative that Fusion users who did not renew their maintenance before they did away with it basically have to repurchase the software at the new $995 price if they want to get Fusion Studio. This is very disappointing to hear to say the least.

michael vorberg

Re: No upgrade path for Fusion users off of maintenance.

PostWed Nov 19, 2014 10:37 am

so, whats the problem?

last eyeon price for an update to 7 was 795USD and generation was 995USD, now you get both for 995USD.

and if BMD does the same as with resolve there are no subscription fees, no update fees.

MichaelMiller

PostWed Nov 19, 2014 6:44 pm

michael vorberg wrote:so, whats the problem?

last eyeon price for an update to 7 was 795USD and generation was 995USD, now you get both for 995USD.

and if BMD does the same as with resolve there are no subscription fees, no update fees.

For me it was $495 subscription renewal to get v7 but I did not do it because I had paid 2 yrs of subscription without an update on Fusion.

I don't know if BMD is going to keep doing the no update fees. A representative told me Resolve 11 might be the last one that was a free update.

Win Conway

PostThu Nov 20, 2014 3:57 pm

Entitled much ? "I did not buy an update, but Black Magic should give me one free because the previous owners/developers where terrible" are you for real ? Black Magic give away a lot to a lot of people, you have made yourself look silly !!

Attila Sziklai

PostFri Nov 21, 2014 7:22 pm

Unlike other software, Fusion 7 Studio doesn’t require annual maintenance fees, subscriptions, a connection to the cloud, or per node render license costs. That means customers don’t get tricked into hidden or on going costly payments for software they’ve already purchased.

From here: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/press/ ... seID=62053

MichaelMiller

PostSat Nov 22, 2014 8:27 am

Win Conway wrote:Entitled much ? "I did not buy an update, but Black Magic should give me one free because the previous owners/developers where terrible" are you for real ? Black Magic give away a lot to a lot of people, you have made yourself look silly !!

Now where did I say that I wanted a free upgrade? I am willing to pay for an upgrade to Fusion 7.5 Studio without having to repurchase the software all over again.

MichaelMiller

PostSat Nov 22, 2014 8:28 am

Attila Sziklai wrote:
Unlike other software, Fusion 7 Studio doesn’t require annual maintenance fees, subscriptions, a connection to the cloud, or per node render license costs. That means customers don’t get tricked into hidden or on going costly payments for software they’ve already purchased.

From here: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/press/ ... seID=62053

Oh the irony.

michael vorberg

PostSat Nov 22, 2014 10:21 pm

MichaelMiller wrote:
Win Conway wrote:Entitled much ? "I did not buy an update, but Black Magic should give me one free because the previous owners/developers where terrible" are you for real ? Black Magic give away a lot to a lot of people, you have made yourself look silly !!

Now where did I say that I wanted a free upgrade? I am willing to pay for an upgrade to Fusion 7.5 Studio without having to repurchase the software all over again.

then see the money as upgrade fee. as said before, the last public price for updating 6.xx to 7 was 795USD. now you pay 200USD more and get generation, dimension and unlimited rendernodes.

D.R. Greenlaw

PostSun Dec 14, 2014 8:16 am

I'm a long time user (since version 3,) and my two subscriptions lapsed over a year ago. I had allowed them to because, as others have expressed here, I felt the updates from Eyeon were getting thinner and far between at the time.

I don't mind paying BMD for Fusion again but if there was a 6.4 user discount, even if it were only for a limited time, I would do it immediately for both licenses. As is stands, I'll probably eventually purchase only a single new copy of Studio, and in the meantime continue with our two 6.4 licenses for a while.

At the moment, I just don't feel an urgency to purchase brand new licenses to Fusion 7 Studio. Just not convinced yet that the new features are worth $2000 to 'upgrade' both my licenses.

Will get at least one new license in time because I do believe Fusion is the best compositing program out there, especially at the new price, but I would do it sooner for both licenses if BMD offered a compelling to do so.

I guess this isn't a complaint, just expressing my position on the topic as a current user of 6.4.

G
Greenlaw
Artist/Partner - Little Green Dog
Website: littlegreendog.com | Demo Reels: vimeo.com/album/4631314
Lead Digital Animator - DreamWorks Animation

Return to Fusion