Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Generation Demo or indepth video?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Eric Marodon

Generation Demo or indepth video?

PostFri Nov 28, 2014 12:06 pm

I'm learning fusion and like it a lot. I still have time before mastering everything, but I'm already considering getting the studio version.

Aside from the optical flow tools and ofx plugins, I'm intrigued by Generation, but there doesn't seem to be a demo of it.

Can you import an edl or xml edit list? Can you use the timeline to cut/trim videos before sending it to comps? Can you synch comps to sound in this one? Can you export the whole multishot comp edit from generation?

Thanks for your help

Eric

Mikhail Korovyansky

Re: Generation Demo or indepth video?

PostMon Dec 01, 2014 8:57 pm

Eric Marodon wrote:Thanks for your help
Eric

explore this channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXvQUhNnfSCvBPvP43xnOmg there is a lot of info about Generation.

Eric Westphal

PostTue Dec 02, 2014 11:45 am

Hi Eric.

This playlist covers a good deal of Generation features:

Cheers.

Eric.
my hovercraft is full of eels.

Eric Marodon

PostFri Dec 12, 2014 11:42 am

Thanks. I've watched the "editing" examples, but there doesn't seem to be much support for sound or is there?

The idea is to be able to see the whole playlist in context with the soundtrac

Stefan Ihringer

PostSat Dec 13, 2014 10:21 am

AFAIK there's only one audio track and one video track.
I don't know you solve the "align comps to a single reference quicktime" workflow in Generation with just one video track though...
blog and Fusion stuff: http://comp-fu.com/2012/06/fusion-script-macro-collection/

Pieter Van Houte

PostSat Dec 13, 2014 6:02 pm

I sincerely hope that BMD's marketing will finally be able to make it clear once and for all that Generation is NOT an editor.

It's a project/shot review tool/frontend. There are limited editing capabilities, but it was never intended (and doesn't have the capacity) to replace your editing workflow.
Support We Suck Less on Patreon -> https://www.patreon.com/wesuckless

https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckless

Vladimir LaFortune

PostSat Dec 13, 2014 11:02 pm

Generation is an awesome alternative to Assimilate Scratch Play as far as the constructing the shots goes. This is something Resolve is missing badly and Generation is like a savior here. Until you tried Scratch or Generation you have no idea what shot management is or timeline versioning especially if you are coming of your usual NLE.

Stefan Ihringer

PostSat Dec 13, 2014 11:56 pm

I understand the benefits of versioning shots.. but to me, aligning something to a reference quicktime is a conforming task, not an editing task. We might get an EDL at the start of the project, but once there are changes, we'll just receive a reference quicktime of the whole sequence so we have to slip and trim the clips manually to reflect that.

I just played with the beta of Generation AM back in the days... unfortunately we couldn't use it at work because of Linux so we went with Hiero (expensive and buggy...). But at least it has several video tracks so we can compare our shots to a reference quicktime easily to see what has been changed by editorial.

How would you do that in Generation? Split the mov into separate clips and treat each as a version? Or would Scratch solve that use case? (never had a look at it, unfortunately).
blog and Fusion stuff: http://comp-fu.com/2012/06/fusion-script-macro-collection/

Vladimir LaFortune

PostSun Dec 14, 2014 9:58 am

Stefan Ihringer wrote:I understand the benefits of versioning shots.. but to me, aligning something to a reference quicktime is a conforming task, not an editing task. We might get an EDL at the start of the project, but once there are changes, we'll just receive a reference quicktime of the whole sequence so we have to slip and trim the clips manually to reflect that.

I just played with the beta of Generation AM back in the days... unfortunately we couldn't use it at work because of Linux so we went with Hiero (expensive and buggy...). But at least it has several video tracks so we can compare our shots to a reference quicktime easily to see what has been changed by editorial.

How would you do that in Generation? Split the mov into separate clips and treat each as a version? Or would Scratch solve that use case? (never had a look at it, unfortunately).

They give you a single file .mov for a reference to conform without EDL? If that is the case that doesn't make any sense. They actually conformed it themselves.

Here is what we do: unedited daily shots go into Scratch construct, we arrange them accordingly and if we don't have time to edit them straight in Scratch or if we are working with some heavy RAW files we make an EDL out of it, generate proxies if needed (if its RAW or 4K footage) and then send them all off to some offline editor that puts it all together. Whenever they are done they give us back new EDL which we load back in Scratch using original files. From there on I would make new construct for shots that need to be exported to Fusion, output them as EXR, work on them in Fusion and put them back into Scratch (there is even a script for it).

I would assume same workflow would apply to GenerationAM as well if it can output EDL.

If you have access to Scratch and you are working with HD files then there is no reason to go to some offline NLE at all if you have time. You can edit and conform whole project inside of Scratch and even apply Genarts. Resolve is currently your best typical NLE on the market unless you require multiple camera tools, broad codec support or serious audio stuff, but Scratch is one tier above once you get hang of it. Completely different animal compared to Resolve, Avid or Vegas (I deliberately omitted the train wreck known as Premiere). That's why I said GenerationAM could be an asset to BMD if they make it more consumer friendly, you really don't want to go through the back to door just to activate favorite tools menu like it is right now.

Jiri Sindelar

PostSun Dec 14, 2014 12:45 pm

Generation improvements that are needed IMHO:

Multilayer timeline. Current concept of Scratch-like versions can be kept, but there should be an option to collapse each video layer to bottom (or chosen) version only. Having single layer timeline is way too limiting for many workflows. Organizing all elements for shot in one layer/stack can be messy.

Multilayer timeline needs to have compositing option. For example, merging graphics with alpha in V2 over vfx shot in V1. This is missing in current Nuke Studio & Hiero and it is mayor hurdle for commercial workflows. It is nice to have comfortable versioning, but if you still need to reconform in other application for every work in progress sending, it is PITA.

Importing Resolve timeline with all metadata, editing, resizing. Conform in Generation is half baked at most, and maybe it is easier to conform in Resolve instead.

Automatic cache like in Fusion Loader, Nuke localization or Resolve "cache source". Many shops will have shots on the network location, and manually forcing Generation to cache for you is unnecessary step.

Easy way to change multiple clip properties at once. Let' say I need to select many clips in Generation timeline and set reelId/ lut / some metadata to custom one. There should be a way to see all clip properties in spreadsheet with sorting by multiple criteria, for example as in Scratch.

Easily customizable text tool / burn-in that shows results in Generation player, not only after rendering. Again, Scratch is good example here.

There need to be a way to reformat (move, rotate, scale, crop) clips in generation timeline and send that to Fusion and Resolve.

There needs to be a way to retime clips in Generation timeline. Not only linear, but also ramps. Even if playback would be just trowing away or repeating frames, it would be great start.

Preparing shots for Fusion (or other apps) should be way easier out of the box. Generation Epp is very difficult to use or customize if you are not TD.
`What we need is good way to make templates for Fusion that can be used by Generation. Same templates can be used from Resolve, when you do not need Generation in the
middle for versioning / collaboration.

Last but not least, some way to color manage projects should be there out of the box. At least switching luts per clip by metadata with few most common examples.

--
Jirka

Return to Fusion