Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion Crash while roto

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author
Rude

Fusion Crash while roto

PostTue Dec 16, 2014 3:28 am

hey guys, I'm doing a bspline mask, and when I'm zooming in around %800 and over to work closer with the keyframes Fusion crashes every time.

Windows 7, Fusion 7.5 free version.

BTY, I still use (sometimes) combustion for roto and keying and also crashes while roto. Trying to make the switch from other compositing softwares into fusion...

Kristian Doyle

Re: Fusion Crash while roto

PostTue Dec 16, 2014 7:12 am

I was going to hop on the forum and mention I'm getting a pretty frequent crash just moving polylines.

Create a closed polyline in a mask. Start moving points around. Eventually crashes. Seems strange I know.

Version: 7.5 build 1477
Built: Nov 9 2014, 23:43:34

On Windows 7
Nvidia GTX560M

-Kristian

Paul Nordin

PostTue Dec 16, 2014 7:37 am

Same thing happens to me. Especially when I select multiple vertices and try to drag it. Crashes every time. Free Fusion 7.5, Windows 7, HP PC.

Marek Subocz

PostTue Dec 16, 2014 9:27 am

hi,
Bspline in BMD fu 7.5 is a sure crash-bug. try using poly-lines instead, perhaps not as elegant, but working ;)

Jiri Sindelar

PostTue Dec 16, 2014 10:00 am

I can confirm it crashes here too.

Rude

PostTue Dec 16, 2014 2:38 pm

Marek Subocz wrote:hi,
Bspline in BMD fu 7.5 is a sure crash-bug. try using poly-lines instead, perhaps not as elegant, but working ;)

I rather, if it is a bug, that BMD look into it in the future,. A mean, if I have to work on poly I will but if I'm about to buy the software I rather they look into it. Roto is a big part of post so if it crashes all the time while zooming in is not good.

I just reinstall Fusion to see what happen and keeps crashing again... I can't work each time I zoom in...this is frustrating...now is also crashing while zoom in and I press a keyframe and the letter W on the keyboard to to bend the spline line....

Also it crashes if I highlight two or more keyframes and move them up or down with arrow keys

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

GR

Rude

PostTue Dec 16, 2014 7:21 pm

Kristian Doyle wrote:I was going to hop on the forum and mention I'm getting a pretty frequent crash just moving polylines.

Create a closed polyline in a mask. Start moving points around. Eventually crashes. Seems strange I know.

Version: 7.5 build 1477
Built: Nov 9 2014, 23:43:34

On Windows 7
Nvidia GTX560M

-Kristian

Glad to see isn't only me.
anyone from BMD about this roto issue?

Rony Soussan

PostWed Dec 17, 2014 12:20 am

We are listening don't worry.. There is NO way we would just leave the b-spline not working. That being said, I cannot reproduce it myself, but it has been noted.

Is there a particular node type that it crashes on? Will it crash if it's not connected to a node?
I'm trying to get the exact scenario in order to reproduce it.

Rude

PostWed Dec 17, 2014 2:20 am

Rony Soussan wrote:We are listening don't worry.. There is NO way we would just leave the b-spline not working. That being said, I cannot reproduce it myself, but it has been noted.

Is there a particular node type that it crashes on? Will it crash if it's not connected to a node?
I'm trying to get the exact scenario in order to reproduce it.

Thanks Rony, good to know BM will work on it.

So far is crashing on Bspline node when connected to a "merge1" node. Also connected to the merge I have the footage node and a background node. It works fine if the bspline is not connected to the merge, so that's the issue....

Thanks for the reply

GR

Stu Friedberg

PostWed Dec 17, 2014 3:45 am

Rony Soussan wrote:I cannot reproduce it myself, but it has been noted. Is there a particular node type that it crashes on? Will it crash if it's not connected to a node? I'm trying to get the exact scenario in order to reproduce it.
May I be crass and suggest that BMD institute a serious bug reporting/tracking system for the software products, where reported bugs get automatically assigned ticket numbers for future reference, and where users can submit project or scene files (and content, when appropriate) for bug reproduction. The ticket numbers for fixed and known-issue bugs should be referenced in the Release Notes for each new revision of the software.

Bug reporting on a general discussion forum is a very weak reed to lean on. And as soon as Fusion 7.5 Studio is released, I'd like to have a sensible way to report problems.

Marek Subocz

PostWed Dec 17, 2014 7:52 am

actually it is weird,
we've tracked the bug on several workstation, but as i type, i try to crash Fusion with Bspline - to no avail..;) perhaps some Windows updates (as nothing else changed - not even gpu drivers).

The bug occured most notably when draging and adjusting Bspline points in the Vierver (it was connected to a BG)

EDIT:
aaaand it's back again. create a BG, click Bspline icon (in the Viewer), create a Bspline, after completing the spline try to adjust a position of a Vertex; if it works -> scrub to a different frame and re-position the verices of a Bspline..

Rony Soussan

PostWed Dec 17, 2014 6:04 pm

We do have a ticket system, and it does not only log reports, but requests as well. The more requests for a particular feature, the higher it gets moved up in rank.

Try to reproduce this on a Matte Control node using garbage matte input. Also, can try making a simple poly, then convert to b-spline and see what happens?

I have not under any circumstance been able to get my b-splines to crash! Of course, that's because I'm not in production ;)

michael vorberg

PostWed Dec 17, 2014 8:22 pm

should we write down our requests/wishes/hopes here in the forum or is there a special place to bring them to your attention?

them same question for the bug reports

Marek Subocz

PostWed Dec 17, 2014 8:34 pm

Rony - i've made a video from my desktop - recorded 2 crashes at once - where can i send You the link?

as i do not think that GPU would be an issue, perhaps a Wacom driver? :) (almost all my tested workstations have them installed)

EDIT:
with BG and Bspline in the Viewer and Bspline NOT CONNECTED to any node, i WAS NOT able to crash Fusion! ;)

Rony Soussan

PostWed Dec 17, 2014 10:38 pm

It could very well be a GPU issue when trying to draw the spline 'and' mask the node at the same time.
I'm not sure. I assume this works on any comp you create?

You should be able to post link here, provided you have had a few posts.

if it happens in a specific comp, send that as well, but before you do anything, update your nvidia drivers.

Marek Subocz

PostWed Dec 17, 2014 10:48 pm

here's the link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cixoe2v9g138s ... 4.mp4?dl=0

yeah - the crash is in any comp... my video shows new comps.

will try with new drivers, but i'm not sure about that, as we tested this on different configs and i doubt they have had the same drivers..
perhaps sth in Preferences, however as i remember correctly, on one workstation we left the default settings - but will check that also ;)

Rony Soussan

PostWed Dec 17, 2014 11:03 pm

I'll take a look shortly

Marek Subocz

PostWed Dec 17, 2014 11:10 pm

Just installed newest nvidia (344.75 WHQL) with "clean install", but nothing has changed - the crash occurs
Also deleted my prefs file to run Fusion with the default setting - still the crash is present - just like in the recording.

Rony Soussan

PostWed Dec 17, 2014 11:21 pm

michael vorberg wrote:should we write down our requests/wishes/hopes here in the forum or is there a special place to bring them to your attention?

them same question for the bug reports

The free version of fusion does not have support other than user based forums.
The Studio version will have email and telephone support shortly after.

The requests is a different story, at this point I am not 100% sure as to the method that will be implemented, it will most likely be going through the product manager, I am just not sure the path that will take them to him.

For now, I am listening to the posts, and i will do my best to pass along valid requests (no make easy buttons)

Marek Subocz

PostWed Dec 17, 2014 11:39 pm

ok. sth new.
just installed a few (about 20) updates for Win7, every one had sth to do with x64 processors.
Went through Fusion and Bspline and it works! i mean no more crashes in my kind-of limited testing. I made a bSpline, about 30keyframes, dragging every vertex in each keyframe, checked all shortcuts, even added some extra points - Fusion stands!

so a U-turn? ;) will test further when possible..

Rony Soussan

PostThu Dec 18, 2014 12:26 am

I just managed to get it to crash without connecting it to anything!

Rude

PostSun Dec 21, 2014 3:15 am

Marek Subocz wrote:ok. sth new.
just installed a few (about 20) updates for Win7, every one had sth to do with x64 processors.
Went through Fusion and Bspline and it works! i mean no more crashes in my kind-of limited testing. I made a bSpline, about 30keyframes, dragging every vertex in each keyframe, checked all shortcuts, even added some extra points - Fusion stands!

so a U-turn? ;) will test further when possible..

The windows update didn't work for me. Still crashing.

Return to Fusion