Interlaced

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Kubikles

Interlaced

PostSun Dec 02, 2012 10:25 am

Hi!

Help me out here someone! Doing all my jobs on an iMac in FCP and AE, mostly progressive work, but occasionally a tv-job comes up demanding interlaced delivery... and I find myself not being able to check the quality of my work since interlaced material looks like s**t on computers... So, my question is:

What device from Blackmagic can help me get an interlaced picture out from my iMac to an external small/desktop/led/LCD/tv screen.

Best regards

Martin

Bernhard

Re: Interlaced

PostSun Dec 02, 2012 1:12 pm

Hello,

basically every professional video I/O device could handle interlaced footage.

But You will need to feed the interlaced signal to a TV-Set, and NOT to a computer monitor.
So if Your iMac has Thunderbolt, than the most affordable device is the new
BMD Mini Monitor:
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/ultrastudio/

If You intend to feed a computer monitor, you would need to feed the MiniMonitor's
SDI-signal into a BMD HD-Link:
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/hdlink/
Otherwise You would gain nothing over directly connecting or watching on Your iMac.
(the BMD HD Link basically does the same as the electronics in TV-sets; only much better)

Best regards,
Bernhard

PS: if Your iMac doesn't have Thunderbolt, then there is no affordable option.

Kubikles

PostSun Dec 02, 2012 4:58 pm

Hi,

well that was kind of just about my plan!
Excellent! And affordable!

Thank you Bernhard!

Then again... I've been thinking about getting a thunderbolt display as well. Do I understand correctly then that I would need both the Mini monitor and an HDLink? And the feed would be interlaced on the monitor?
A bit more expensive solution but I could use the extra workspace from the second monitor instead of an LCD...

/Martin

Bernhard

PostSun Dec 02, 2012 7:59 pm

Kubikles wrote:Hi,

well that was kind of just about my plan!
Excellent! And affordable!

Thank you Bernhard!

Then again... I've been thinking about getting a thunderbolt display as well. Do I understand correctly then that I would need both the Mini monitor and an HDLink? And the feed would be interlaced on the monitor?
A bit more expensive solution but I could use the extra workspace from the second monitor instead of an LCD...

/Martin

The most convenient solution would be to connect a TV-set via HDMI.

signal:
Every (good) HD TV-set does de-interlace the fields into frames well; as does HDLink.

The HDLink does, what the processor of a TV-set does and a computer display lacks.

BUT: TV sets are designed to playback the correct frame rates. HDLink converts frame rates;
in the best case it forces the display to playback the original video frame rate (EDID-overwrite).

connections:
I don't know if the HDLink3D (the box You need then) could feed a Thunderbolt display
via a DisplayPort to MiniDisplayPort cable. Furthermore (IF it works):

Since the Apple Thunderbolt Display has only one input, You would need to change cabling every time You use the display as display and not as 'TV' and vice versa...

For my taste too many IFs and THENs... :D

So I would get
- a BMD MiniMonitor
- a video monitor (TV-set)
- a computer Display

Far less headache ;)

Best regards,
Bernhard

P.S.: ever tested FCP's Desktop Preview on a second display?

Return to Post Production