Absolue noob, Graphics card question

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Keith Mann

Absolue noob, Graphics card question

PostMon Dec 22, 2014 7:16 pm

Hi Guys
I am a complete beginner in need of some hardware, i want initially to simply learn with GoPro footage. If and when i decide i can make use of better kit i will purchase either a bmpcc or a bmpc.
The graphics card recommended is along the lines of an AMD firepro w5100 or similar.

As i only need to be able to drive a single display @ 2560X1440 in the early stages i doubt i need too much in the way of a graphics card.

Can anyone that might have been in this position let me know what level of card i need for the job. I understand that a "Gamers" card is not necessarily the best for this work but dont understand why that might be.

Opinions please

AMD FirePro W5100 Professional Graphics Card - 4GB GDDR5 - 768 Shaders

Asus Radeon R9 290 DirectCU II OC 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express

Regards
keith

Rakesh Malik

Re: Absolue noob, Graphics card question

PostTue Dec 23, 2014 6:54 pm

These days, a gamers' card is actually a good choice. They generally have the highest clock speeds, fastest memory, and most shader cores. Your best bet is to get the fastest one with the largest frame buffer (preferably GDDR5) that you can afford.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

JPOwens

PostMon Dec 29, 2014 8:21 pm

Keith Mann wrote:As i only need to be able to drive a single display @ 2560X1440 in the early stages i doubt i need too much in the way of a graphics card.

Seems like this is going into a Windows PC of some kind -- the reality is that Resolve needs a honking GPU (as many as you can afford, minimum two) to run well, with highly-compressed Long-GOP media stretching that demand again.

The mistaken assumption that newcomers tend to make is that this application handles source footage exactly like an NLE or Media Player. Could not be more different.

jPo

Peter_r

PostTue Dec 30, 2014 12:15 am

I'd give the new AMD 8GB Vapor-X R9 290X a look, it has 8GB of RAM on board, and flies with Resolve using OpenCL.
For around $500 with 8GB, it is a beast of a card for anything that utilises OpenCL acceleration.

http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-VAPOR-X- ... 00P9RDI9Y/

Keith Mann

PostThu Jan 01, 2015 8:44 pm

Many thanks peter
That's the kind of info i want to hear.
I am starting to learn, through all the reading i am doing that Nvidia are preferred to AMD. Practical experience using the 290/295 R9's at the hobbyist level on windows machines is what i need.

Does anyone have such real world experience or knowledge of how the 295 dual Gpu handles Resolve please ?

Peter_r

PostSun Jan 04, 2015 9:26 am

Keith Mann wrote:Many thanks peter
That's the kind of info i want to hear.
I am starting to learn, through all the reading i am doing that Nvidia are preferred to AMD. Practical experience using the 290/295 R9's at the hobbyist level on windows machines is what i need.

Does anyone have such real world experience or knowledge of how the 295 dual Gpu handles Resolve please ?

I picked up the 8GB card two days ago, and it works glitch free with resolve, and for 4K is faster than my 4GB GTX 970. I hope that helps.
I have had no issues with AMD and Resolve, or with Nvidia for that matter.
If Nvidia would release the GTX970 or 980 with 8GB it would be worth a try, but for now, the 8GB on the 290X trumps the Nvidia 4GB and 6GB cards in my work.
I haven't tried the Dual GPU card, it is tempting due to the water cooling, but it is only 4GB per GPU.

Keith Mann

PostSun Jan 04, 2015 7:07 pm

Thanks Pete
I've ordered the 290x 8gb as part of a new pc build.

Intel i5 4690k and 16gb Ram as well.

As i say i only expect to use this to learn whether i can do any useful work with resolve and simple short clips of footage. Lets see where we get to.

Return to DaVinci Resolve